Sign in to follow this  
ray

How so I find out what Briggs starter if part number is worn

ray

I'm doing a semi restoration on a 77 A-90 with a 8hp vertical shaft Briggs and Stratton. The terminal is worn and difficult to remove, so I opened the starter for easier access, and saw that a piece of the bake light brush housing cracked. I know that I can replace this as a partial assembly, but there no longer is a part number on the starter. Looking for a cap or even a starter replacement has me baffled since there seems to be several starters to choose from. I hear that there are several different shaft sizes available and trying to order this part doesn't give the option of shaft size. The body of the starter is 3 inches. Any other way of telling what kind of starter I have without ordering and sending back the part until I hit the jackpot?

Don1977

The engine no. should be 191707-0685 taken from model list. That is if it is the original engine.

ray

Thanks Don

I was lucky to have the exact starter that I needed on an MTD with a Briggs and it works fine. Still I need the knowledge for future reference but havn't come up with an old Briggs and Stratton parts list for a vertcal shaft 8 hp.Any idea where there is a site on this?

Don1977

Take a look at this to see if it's the right engine.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=briggs_and_stratton&mn=191707-0685-99&dn=58530002D

stevasaurus

Ray, that model number # 191707 breaks down like this.

19 is cubic inch displacement

1 is basic design series

7 is crankshaft, carburetor, governor Vertical shaft, flo-jet

o is type of bearings Plain bearing

7 is type of starter Electric starter, 12 volt, gear drive, with alternator

0685 is the spec number which tells some of the things that are special to that particular engine. :)

ray

Thanks for all the help!