Sign in to follow this  
1965 855

You all were right

1965 855

Well guys here she is,you all said more would come, and you were correct. I believe it to be a 1960. Runs pretty good but starts hard. I want to do a complete nut & bolt restoration. What can you guys tell me about this beauty?

post-9006-0-57471500-1357696620_thumb.jp

post-9006-0-87809900-1357696635_thumb.jp

• Like 1

littleredrider

What are we supposed to be looking at?? :ychain:

Jake Kuhn

:text-worthless: :hide: :hide: :hide:

roscoemi

Uhhh... :wwp:

1965 855

Sorry, Now check them out

Jake Kuhn

Now it looks better... :ychain:

Very nice, that is a 60 550. Its looks very nice, awesome to see you still have all of the guards too! :handgestures-thumbup:

fireman

Don't see the tool box, fenders and battery! Real nice otherwise!

Edited by fireman

Wheel-N-It

Looks like a good score to me :)

Whmaverick

It tells me your coming down with the same thing the rest of us have, "collection fever" . I love it! give it the works, you won't regret it.

• Like 1

dclarke

Looks like you have a nice suburban there, good luck with it. Keep us updated on what you do with it.

jusjeepn

Very nice. Looks like your new to W/H's so here a few pointers to get you started on your restore. As mentioned, it is missing the tool box and fenders. The exhaust is routed incorrectly and has the incorrect muffler for the year and the big one.......the Techy is the wrong model. The 550 used a 5.5hp Techy which is pricey when you find one. It looks like you have either a 6 or 8hp Techy with electric start. Your hard starting problem is more than likely a fuel flow problem either to or through the carb. Check your belt guard for modifications if its an 8hp.

It looks great just the way it is! I'd recommend using it around the house for a bit before restoring it.

JC 1965

Yea !! You got whats going around here on Red Square. I think It's called Wheel Horse fever. :eusa-whistle: All you can do is treat the systems cause there ain't no cure. :hide:

855ownerJoel

What more can I say "NICE SCORE", you dun good with that one, and yep motor has been changed but still very nice machine. Would like to see restored pictures in the future.

chazm

:woohoo:

wallfish

Since the original engine has already been changed, I would install a Kohler K91 and it's a 1960 400. The 550 and 400 are basically the same tractor with different engines. A K91 is much easier to find than a H55 plus it's a better engine. Who knows, it could already be a 400 with that engine installed on it.

The deck is from a 1961 tractor but that's kind of splitting hairs.

Looks like a nice clean and mostly complete tractor for restore, good luck with it!

1965 855

Thanks guys, This one belonged to a good friend of mine who collects Power Kings. He inherited it many years ago from an uncle who passed away. He did not want to sell it, but knows I will give it the restoration it deserves so it was available only to me. I'm glad to have it. I googled 1960 Suburban Wheel Horse and looked at a bunch of images and saw another with yellow wheels and seat. I'm almost sure they were all off-white, but it got my attention. Can anyone answer that question? Thanks again, and I will post pics as I go with this one.

wallfish

The subject has come up before but I'm not sure if there was a definite answer or not whether these were from the factory. My 400 had yellow wheels under the white paint on the rears, don't know about the front rims

Coadster32

Looks nice from here. I had an oldie with yellow rims as well. Good luck with it, as it looks pretty solid.