Sign in to follow this  
jeremi3210

10 pinion differentail in a 8 speed trans

jeremi3210

So picked up a 8 speed trans the other day i got it home and opened it up and found a 10 pinion differentail in it. I dont think that it was orginally made like. Is a 10 pinion rear end stronger than a 8? I would try to run it like that but 1 axle sticks out of the trans farther than the other. The axles measure the same out of the trans. Would the differential out of a 1257 fit in that trans?

Kelly

The 10 pinion trans is not as strong as the 8 pinion, the 10 pinion is a limited slip diff. it has a large C shaped spring that applies pressure to the inside of the pinion gears, the 10 pinion diff, trans is commonly called the 6 speed it was built in the late 60's and very early 70's, the brake is not in the same location as the later 8 speeds, and yes the 6 speed is technically a 8 speed they just didn't count rev. on the early ones.

TT

The 1257 has the bevel gear differential, which is often considered to be the weakest of all.

Some information purely from memory:

The 5060 and 5071 have the pinion shaft-mounted brake drum (closest to the axle tube)

The 5073 has the brake drum mounted on the countershaft like the newer 8 speeds.

The 5060 has aluminum differential end caps and the 5071 & 5073 have iron caps.

The 5060 does not have a dipstick but the 5071 and 5073 have dipstick holes at the top rear corner of the right case.

The axle lengths for the 10 pinion differential in the 6 speed is 11 3/4" and 12"

Given the above information, there should be no mistaken identity of the 5060 or 5071.

The 5073 looks similar to the newer 8 speeds on the outside, but some claim identification is possible by counting the differential bolts by removing the dipstick tube and looking through the hole in the case.

A 10 pinion differential has 5 through bolts while the 4 and 8 pinion units have 4.

jeremi3210

My axles were both 11 5/8. It does have a dip stick on it. The brake pulley is on the counter shaft. Both end caps are iron. Are those numbers on the case? Will a 8 pinion fit in that trans?

TT

Those numbers are used to identify the complete transaxle assembly. They are not found anywhere on the case.

The 8 pinion differential from a 5091 or similar 1.125" axle 8 speed using the #1533 bearing can be used if the ring gear is clearanced for the one-piece pinion shaft.

Although I have never personally tried, the newer two-piece pinion shaft might work - which would mean no ring gear modifications would be necessary.

Anglo Traction

Further to the change from 10 pinion to 8 pinion, if you have a Transmission Service Manual, Section 5 refers to a Service Bulletin #252 for this and covers the needs and differences. It can be viewed in Yahoo's Wheelhorsetractormanuals8. You have to join for access to the various sections, but well worth it.

Changeover date for the 2 piece Pinion from the 1 piece was 1973.

Good luck.

Regards

Edited by Anglo Traction