Wishin4a416

160 Project

Martin

Jack, very nice work on your 160 so far. i just found this thread and had a look see through it. i like your attention to detail and little changes. tires look great on there and shade of red really looks nice!

looking forward to some more updates........

Wishin4a416

Got the Safety switches on today along with the clutch spring, NOS on ebay for 5 bucks, and the seat. I picked a seat up on ebay for 20.

Not a WH seat but looks alot like one. Had to pull the cover and reconfigure the mounting holes but I think it looks OK.

Got started on the Hood today but that is going to take awhile. What a beautiful Fall day here in Pa. for working in the Garage.

post-8484-0-00146500-1384641363.jpg

post-8484-0-94060900-1384641386.jpg

• Like 2

Wishin4a416

Hoods in the cookpot now.

post-8484-0-32531700-1384724366.jpg

• Like 3

Wishin4a416

Finally got the Hood done and ready to go back on. I have a few days off after Christmas and hope to get some work done on it.

But according to the weatherman the garage is gonna be cold.

post-8484-0-45176900-1387734292.jpg

• Like 1

timo4352

Your paint work is really something. She gonna be a real beauty when your done.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

dodgemike

Absolutely stunning paint work.

I am meeting more and more

Members who were or still are

Into musclecars.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Wishin4a416

Well its been a year to the day since I brought it home from Ohio. It took me that long to get this far but it has been fun and a learning process from a bunch of you fellows here. Thanks for all the tips and pointers. The tractor is 98% done. Now its time to open the Kohler up. It ran when I removed it. Just a bunch of oil leaks everywhere. If everything works out, this one will wear the snowblower.

post-8484-0-52591200-1388258654.jpg

post-8484-0-88562200-1388258674.jpg

• Like 2

Wishin4a416

Got around to starting on the Kohler this past week or so. My garage is so cold with this brutal Winter, I hate to even go out there and pull parts.

I got the carb all cleaned and bushed and the head decarboned and checked for flatness. There were 2 loose headbolts and it shows with a blown head gasket.The bore checks out standard and within specs @ .751-.752 and .001 out of round and taper. A small carbon ridge near the valves to ream  before Honing. I got a few more parts off this morning to take to work to degrease and blast and paint this week.

Calling for 15 below here Monday nite!!!! :eek: And a high of 2 Tuesday.

post-8484-0-16089700-1390676295.jpg

post-8484-0-09207800-1390676319.jpg

Wishin4a416

Got some goodies in the mail this week so I started on the Wiring Harness. Its just so dern cold in the garage right now, cant do much else. It was -1 here this morning.

I messed the first couple crimps up before I got knack for it. Seems you could use 3 hands positioning everything. Im ready for Spring.

post-8484-0-44695200-1391888681.jpg

post-8484-0-33503600-1391888699.jpg

• Like 3

Martin

Tractor looks really nice Jack. Nice to see some wiring harness fabrication from scratch as well......

Its nice to get all new terminals, connectors and wiring and start from nothing. Its still one of my favorite things to do when rebuilding these red tractors......

I'm with you on the crimping of terminals too, sometimes not quite enough finesse and there goes another one.......

• Like 1

312Hydro

That's just super work ,Jack. I'll have to echo what the others have said as the detailing is really nice. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

shorts

You got to love seeing someone take the time and effort to buy the right tools and parts to do the job right, especially like the proper crimpers for the terminals being used instead of what's n the tool box

Wishin4a416

You got to love seeing someone take the time and effort to buy the right tools and parts to do the job right, especially like the proper crimpers for the terminals being used instead of what's n the tool box

Well I must admit the crimpers are borrowed. I asked the electricians and Bio-med guys at work and they had none. So I stopped at my auto mechanics garage who I have known since childhood and he had them in one of his toolchests. He had them since he worked at Yenko Chevrolet many many years ago. He said he hardly uses them at all any more.

• Like 1

rexman72

its coming along  so well you must be having fun doing this.

312Hydro

Well I must admit the crimpers are borrowed. I asked the electricians and Bio-med guys at work and they had none. So I stopped at my auto mechanics garage who I have known since childhood and he had them in one of his toolchests. He had them since he worked at Yenko Chevrolet many many years ago. He said he hardly uses them at all any more.

Does he have any 427s stashed away too? I worked with a guy that does and a lot more. He'll never part with them tho.

Edited by 312Hydro

Wishin4a416

No he doesnt have any Rats Rich. We were more into Mouse motors. He does have some stuff.

Edited by Wishin4a416

Wishin4a416

Got that stubborn Flywheel off today. I tried last Saturday but it wouldn't cooperate. So I kept brushing on red cider vinegar around the crank and wheel to break down the rust. I heated it with a heatgun and hit it with the impact gun and it popped today. It is filthy though and needs a good cleaning.

post-8484-0-59685400-1393715124.jpg

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

Finally got the motor block all prepped. Degreased and honed and valves lapped in. Now to start putting back together between grass cutting and the other springtime chores.

post-8484-0-81640200-1398120226.jpg

post-8484-0-25180900-1398120238.jpg

• Like 3

rustykan

A little more progress this week. Got some more of the smaller parts done that I could shuttle to and from work.

I'll have to get in the garage tomorrow and pull some more for next week.

At least I'm moving forward during this cold season.

IMG_1726.jpg

What did you use for the rubber mats on the foot rests?

buckrancher

Great job so far :text-bravo: 

Wishin4a416

What did you use for the rubber mats on the foot rests?

The v-rib matting  from Mcmaster Carr. We get it in bulk at work and I get the scraps.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#runner-mats/=rn16vq

Edited by Wishin4a416

fireman

Nice job Jack! I just saw this thread for the first time and you do awesome work. So nice to see someone take so much pride in their work and do a full real nut and bolt restoration. That tractor is even better than when it came of the production line!

Martin

Enjoying the detail work with every post, Jack. 

Its always been my opinion if you spend the time to pull one of these machines totally apart, then spend the time to put them back together right!

Keep up the great work.

Aussie

Very very nice Jack. Great attention to detail. Inspiring.

Wishin4a416

To wet to mow today so I got some garage time. Got the short block together and all the numbers were good. I see what Bob means about them pesky keepers.

They were easier on a Chevy because they were headed down hill !! I got my forceps off my fishin vest and it made life a lot easier.

post-8484-0-13752400-1398542960.jpg

post-8484-0-74136900-1398542972.jpg

• Like 1