jimbo7921

520 plow extension

jimbo7921

Juet wondering if anyone has ever put a plow on there 520 and not needed to add the extension and still be able to angle the plow without rubbing the tires? My blade only has 3 holes for angling but even with the plow raised and angled to the left or right i still have an inch before i run into the wheel, even with the plow pushing there isn't enough play to shove it in the tire. Thought it was odd and was planning to push snow with a straight blade all winter.

Kelly

What year is your 520? the early ones don't have the swept forward axle and do not need the ext. kit.

jimbo7921

No its swept kelly its a 93

Kelly

The only blade I ever had on my 520s is a 48" with 5 hole sector, but I've always had the ext. kit on it.

jimbo7921

Yeah weird the only difference is this is a 3 hole. Not complaining now i dont need to mess with any of it just thougt it was really odd.

JC 1965

Ok, I'll be the dummy here. What do you mean by extension ? Are you talking about extending the plow out farther from the tractor or extending the width of the blade ? :dunno: Never heard of an extension kit. :hide:

TT

The forward-swept front axle used on the 520 models increases the wheelbase by two inches. It also increases the track width enough that the dozer blade will hit the front tires when the blade is fully angled.

There was a kit to "convert" the standard long-frame dozer blade to be used on the 520 models with the f-s axle. (model number 81640)

The three main parts are the rear extension weldment, the additional crossmember to relocate the lift point, and a dog-leg angle handle that made it easier to reach from the seat.

Here is a picture of a 06-48BC02 dozer blade with the full kit installed:

8875fc04.jpg

cheesegrader

I have a three hole blade, 06-48BC02, that would rub only on the right front tire of my '91 520, and only under heavy load.

I used it that way for a few years, and finally got an extension kit from sparky this year.

I have to admit that I like it better with the extension. No fears of buggering up the right front tire.

Look at the back side of your blade. The rub can be very subtle. If there is a little oval of missing paint, you are rubbing the tire.

Sparky

I have a three hole blade, 06-48BC02, that would rub only on the right front tire of my '91 520, and only under heavy load.

I used it that way for a few years, and finally got an extension kit from sparky this year.

Glad to hear your happy with it!

Mike............

• Like 1

jimbo7921

My model number is 0648bc01and it does seem a little closer on the right but was pushin this weekend, about 5 to 6 inches of wet heavy snow and have no scuffs on the blade. Even driving with it raised and angled to the right and i still have half an inch clearence from the tire to the support that runs along the bottom of the blade.

leeave96

I seem to recall mounting my 42" blade to my 92 520-H w/swept fwd axle and close, but no problems w/rubbing the front tires. I always thought it was because the blade was 42" vs 48". Don't know if that's the real reason, I just assed it was.

Hydro

I have to admit that I like it better with the extension. No fears of buggering up the right front tire.

Look at the back side of your blade. The rub can be very subtle. If there is a little oval of missing paint, you are rubbing the tire.

I have the later model plow Model 79364 with the arm made to go out and around the PTO cover. I swapped a '93 520 front end into my 314. The plow angled perfectly to the left but would not go to the last hole on the right. I made an extension kit based on the info from the links here and I also added a weight bracket and centre pin attached to the front attach a matic so the longer frame would not deflect when pushing against heavy snow. It works really well and puts more weight on the front wheels when necessary.

Edited by Hydro