Sign in to follow this  
Typhke

What Wheel Horse to pull a trailer?

can whlvr

the differance between a 300 series and 400 is usually the 300,s have the 1 inch axle and 4 pinion,and 6 inch front tires as opposed to 8 inch on the 400,s,not all 300,s apply to this rule but most of the older ones except for some 314,si think some of them were the 1 1/8 8 pinion,but i have a 308 that o bought new in 1986 and have used this machine VERY,VERY hard and the rear is plenty strong enough,it is very strong and reliable,i would buy one any day of the week,and i have 4 tractors with the bigger rear,as i said before i would buy the 416,i have a 312 that is one of my main workers,but to only have one i would want as much horse power and newer machine as i could buy

Tankman

Given only those three choices, I would get the 416-8.

Gotta love the 416-8. Haven't had mine long but, longevity was built in! :)

Typhke

the differance between a 300 series and 400 is usually the 300,s have the 1 inch axle and 4 pinion,and 6 inch front tires as opposed to 8 inch on the 400,s,not all 300,s apply to this rule but most of the older ones except for some 314,si think some of them were the 1 1/8 8 pinion,but i have a 308 that o bought new in 1986 and have used this machine VERY,VERY hard and the rear is plenty strong enough,it is very strong and reliable,i would buy one any day of the week,and i have 4 tractors with the bigger rear,as i said before i would buy the 416,i have a 312 that is one of my main workers,but to only have one i would want as much horse power and newer machine as i could buy

Thanks, the reason I'm asking is because I saw a Wheel Horse for sale but couldn't read the type. It had a Kohler Magnum and saw that both the 300 and 400 series are available with Magnums.

Newer and bigger means more expensive :D I'll need to find a balance between the 2 to get best value for money.

WH Raider10

Typhke,

Honestly I never have paid more that 400 Euro's for a wheelhorse. I think 500 euro for one without attachments is allready overpriced.

Just keep looking and there will be one that comes up for sale in the 300-400 range. Attachments never pay more than 150.

That's just my :twocents-02cents: .

P-J

Typhke

Typhke,

Honestly I never have paid more that 400 Euro's for a wheelhorse. I think 500 euro for one without attachments is allready overpriced.

Just keep looking and there will be one that comes up for sale in the 300-400 range. Attachments never pay more than 150.

P-J

Thanks. Yea I'm not in a hurry. Tbh, I had in mind to pay around €500-600 for one in good shape. I was surprised about some of the prices I've found on the internet. I don't need one that's in perfect order, there can be some work on it and that's not a problem but the transmission and motor should be fine (or almost fine) for that price imo. I need to wait till someone (not a collector) sells one. Someone who is only selling the WH and not the emotional connection he has with it. I do appreciate the help I'm getting here! Thanks for that!

Typhke

Tankman

Gotta love my :wh: 416-8, does all I need to do! And, does it well too!

For pullin' trailers, I prefer an older Mack R-Model, 300+ Maxidine, 5-Speed, red of course (sorry, :wh:'s only, got

to dreamin' of the good old days :scared-ghostface: ).

• Like 1

Typhke

Probably gonna check a 312-8 out with 295 hours on a Kohler Magnum at the end of the month. Needs a little work but it wouldn't be fun without that!

Forest Road

I had a 1992 312-8 and it had 1-1/8" axles and an 8 pinion diff. It definitely was original when I took it apart.

• Like 1

njdpo

Another data point for you. I have a commando 800 with the 8hp Kohler / 3 speed manual gearbox. I mounted a 1 7/8 ball hitch to the back and hauled (on a full size trailer) huge loads of fire wood around my "hilly" property. My ony problem was the occasional wheel spin which might have been improved with tire chains (mostly rainy days).

I have since then also picked up a slightly larger 310-8 which has the hi/lo range. I don't use that low range much, but when you need it - you can't beat it.

Typhke

What about a GT-14? They look pretty heavy and powerful? Only 'bad' thing is they are a hydro and not a 8-speed?

Take a GT-14 over a 312-8 or not if shape and cost would be the same?

Sparky

Hands down the 312 is the way to go. That GT-14 is around 40+ years old and has a Sundstrand auto thats hard to get parts for. Stick with the manual tranny's for towing regularly. If the 312 has a Magnum then the oldest it could be is 1987 or 88 (cant remember the year of the K to Magnum swap) but could be from the 90's.

Mike............

• Like 1

Typhke

Hands down the 312 is the way to go. That GT-14 is around 40+ years old and has a Sundstrand auto thats hard to get parts for. Stick with the manual tranny's for towing regularly. If the 312 has a Magnum then the oldest it could be is 1987 or 88 (cant remember the year of the K to Magnum swap) but could be from the 90's.

Mike............

Ok, would be nice to build a loader on though. I'm gonna wait and see if another WH pops up in the future.

wh1257

I think I bought that gt 14

Maxwell-8
On 1/9/2013 at 9:54 PM, WH Raider10 said:

Typhke,

P-J

mmhh prices have tripled and even one's in very nice condition go for up to 3000€ now.

• Sad 1