Sign in to follow this  
Typhke

What Wheel Horse to pull a trailer?

Ken B

You said the trailer you used was little. Is it still the little trailer you are using or do you plan on getting a bigger trailer? A bigger trailer means a few less trips into the woods but also more strain on the drive train. If you are going to be using a trailer bigger than the one Nylon posted I would without question go with the 416-8. For short trips a hydro might be ok but if you are going to be hauling it any kind of distance I'd stick with an 8 speed,

WheelHorseSteve

I like my 416-H pulling the trailer, I think that an 8-Speed 416 would even be better for that task.

post-5-0-24511000-1357485050.jpg

post-5-0-00487600-1357485051.jpg

Put some air in those tires, Karl! :ychain:

Road-Track

I have hauled wood with both Hydros and 8 speeds. Both will pull, but the 8 speed will hold the load on an incline without the brake if shut off and in gear.

The hydro will roll if the brake is off running or not. I prefer my 16hp 8speed for wood hauling, ground plowing. The Hydro for snow blowing, Snow plowing tilling and mowing.

The 16hp Kolhers are great, but will use a little bit more gas. Good luck.

All wheelhorse are good. :wh:

Wheel-N-It

Now that I have seen the 416, and I know you would be buying it from Vincent, I can say without any reservations to buy the 416.

Looking towards your future as a Wheel Horse owner, I think it would be in your best interest to do business with Vincent. He must be a valuable contact to have there in Belgum. He could be a great help to you as you learn how to maintain your tractor, and keeping it in good working order.

WheelHorseSteve

Either tractor with the 8-speed is the better choice, IMHO. I have pulled a 4'x8' trailer full of oak (about a ton!) with Scott's heavy hitch... I definitely appreciated the low gears for this heavy load. The 12HP K301 pulled it just fine.

• Like 2

leeave96

Some things I think about is the axle diameter (1 vs 1-1/8 inch) and number of pinions (4 vs 8). I know the C-111 has the 1-1/8 axles and 8 pinion tranny - very strong. If you are pulling a trailer and concerned about strength, that's the combo I'd be looking for. I suspect the 16 hp tractor has the stronger combo too. Having said that, the 12 hp tractor should be way strong enough to pull a trailer. My biggest concern (for me) would be the weight of the tractor stopping the tractor and trailer load - and that means weight - which you can add to any one of the models you are considering.

I would recommend you buy all three tractors for sale... ;)

Typhke

Ok, it will be an 8-speed for sure. The trailer I would be pulling is bigger than the one that nylyon has. It's 3' 1/2 x 6 1/2 running on car tires (with air :D), so a small car trailer. Weight won't go over 1500 lbs or 700 kg.

Yea stopping will put some pressure on the tractor but it's a flat area where I can stop so that helps. Was thinking of using logs to drive against with the trailer wheels when braking. So they take the load instead of the tractor.

WH Raider10

I would say the C-121 would be mine choice! 12HP is strong enough combined with the 8 speed tranny.

P-J

WH Raider10

And buy one with a Kohler engine! I'm not saying that those briggs engines are not good but wait untill you hear and feel the power of a Kohler! :woohoo: :laughing-rofl:

• Like 1

meadowfield

C-121 ! more than man enough, unless you understand hydros, have lots of patience and are certain the D is very well maintained.... they are great tractors, but rare in Europe and often abused - spares and servicing is not easy....

mark

buckrancher

Duff

If you read through this thread from the beginning as I just did, it reinforces what makes this forum the great place it has become! Everyone has a passion for these machines and is quick to steer a new member toward what he or she thinks is the best unit for the purpose while respecting the views of others. But what really sets it apart is the undercurrent of excitement, sort of like each of us is purchasing the tractor for ourselves! So Typhke, as others have said, welcome to :rs: , and if I were making the purchase, it would be the 416 for sure - largely because of Vincent's reputation for taking care of his equipment, because the 16 Kohler single is a great motor, and I'll admit it - I'm a maroon stripe fanatic!

Duff :thumbs:

• Like 1

WheelHorseSteve

If you read through this thread from the beginning as I just did, it reinforces what makes this forum the great place it has become! Everyone has a passion for these machines and is quick to steer a new member toward what he or she thinks is the best unit for the purpose while respecting the views of others. But what really sets it apart is the undercurrent of excitement, sort of like each of us is purchasing the tractor for ourselves! So Typhke, as others have said, welcome to :rs: , and if I were making the purchase, it would be the 416 for sure - largely because of Vincent's reputation for taking care of his equipment, because the 16 Kohler single is a great motor, and I'll admit it - I'm a maroon stripe fanatic!

Duff :thumbs:

Very, very true... Duff! I have yet to find a better forum out in the ether... this is a wonderful place.

It's safe to say that either the C-121 or the 416 would be great choices for pulling a trailer. The styling is very different on them -- and price too in this case -- so you'll have to figure out what suits your fancy there. If you decide you want to add a 2-stage snow blower or 48" mower, you'd be better off with the 416. I'm partial to the 70s styles so I'd opt for the C-121 from that perspective.

Typhke

To Duff and WheelHorseSteve: Yes, I've noticed that there are quite a few different opinions here and preferences. The main point that I take from here, is that there are a bunch of guys willing to help! :) Thanks for that! Next to that, that a 8-speed will do and with some horsepower I'll be fine. It's easy for me to give you all the asking price but of course there is more to it than that. I do like the fact that I can maybe buy a Wheel Horse from a member here, that gives me some security on how the maintenance is done. On the other hand, I'll pay for that in cash. No matter what, it nice too know someone in the neighborhood with the knowledge and love for Wheel Horses.

I've made this topic with 3 options to buy and already have the feeling that I learned a lot (also on the rest of the forum). Due to the fact I'm a student, I'll be occupied till the end of the month. So I've got some time to look around and I'm not in a hurry to buy a Wheel Horse. But using the 3 given options, I learned some more about the differences and what I should be looking for. I can still think about it and learn a lot before I buy one. May be one from a member (if they aren't sold by then), may be from someone else. We'll see and I'll keep you all posted ;)

Don't want to 'close' the topic here so more opinions are always welcome!

Bobie01

I would buy the C-121 because you have a strong 8 Speed and a mowerdeck and 550euro its a lot of money.yes its a diffence of 4HP but you have not the mowerdeck and I have search long for one in bat shape

B-100 Dan

I'd go with the C-121, and I agree you would enjoy it the most Just my 2 cents worth....

tunahead72

The trailer I would be pulling is bigger than the one that nylyon has. It's 3' 1/2 x 6 1/2 running on car tires (with air :D), so a small car trailer. Weight won't go over 1500 lbs or 700 kg.

That's a pretty big trailer, and a LOT of weight. I think any of the tractors you're looking at will handle it. But you might consider beefing up the hitch on whichever tractor you buy. There's lots of different options, try doing a search on "hitch" here on RedSquare to get some ideas. One of the best designs I've seen comes from our own Scott (smoreau), his hitches are heavy duty and spread the load nicely to the rear axle and transmission case. I believe he's getting ready to manufacture another batch soon.

Did you ever have any problems pulling this trailer with your 212-5?

Typhke

That's a pretty big trailer, and a LOT of weight. I think any of the tractors you're looking at will handle it. But you might consider beefing up the hitch on whichever tractor you buy. There's lots of different options, try doing a search on "hitch" here on RedSquare to get some ideas. One of the best designs I've seen comes from our own Scott (smoreau), his hitches are heavy duty and spread the load nicely to the rear axle and transmission case. I believe he's getting ready to manufacture another batch soon.

Did you ever have any problems pulling this trailer with your 212-5?

Yes I know. We had another trailer back when we had the 212-5. But the size was pretty much the same. The 212-5 pulled it over a longer distance (1.5x the distance, same environment) for years without problems. The last years, it started doing the same distance and it got problems with 3 gear. We almost always used 3rd gear for pulling and mowing (pretty good soil just a little up- and downhill). So it probably was just normal wear. But I'd rather be safe and have some extra gears because with a heavy trailer, 3rd gear would be just a little too high while 2nd was too low.

I've already had a look at Scotts hitch. They look really heavy duty! Haven't checked the others yet. Will do! Thanks!

Typhke

It's a small trailer for a car but big for a little tractor. Should have pointed that out in the beginning.

In the long run, it will need to pull a custom made trailer I'm working on. Still in the thinking fase though. It will be a sort of log trailer which will also be a sawhorse. The trailer won't be for road purposes so I can fully adapt it to the Wheel Horse.

decksetter

Any of the tractors you are considering will do the job just fine I think.

I don't think I'd worry about beefing up the hitch unless you have need fit a weight box there or you load the trailer with a lot of tongue weight. I probably put a hundred hours on a 416h with 150-200 lbs of tongue weight on the stock hitch and it never even bent. No issues, that tractor has 1200 hours on it now. Just watch how you load the trailer and if your axle is in the center of the trailer I doubt you'll have a problem.

As far as pulling weight around, I've pulled a 4500lb tractor around the lot with the same 416h. You won't have to worry about pulling 1500 lbs with any of those tractors if the ground is level as you say.

Now for the loader option. If you honestly think you will put a loader on the tractor, I would lean toward the 416-8. I think it would handle it just fine. I have a 416-8, and while it's not a 520 with forward axle or a D series, it's still a pretty beefy tractor. Also, you will have extra power to run your hydraulics for the loader while you are hauling weight around.

Do all the tractors in question have a separate clutch and brake pedal? Not sure if this is a consideration for you, but I feel a lot more in control and confident in a tractor when my clutch and brake are separate.

k29349

I have an Onan 416-8 and I can move my 18 foot bed(21 foot overall), all steel floor,tilt bed car trailer around with it. It will even back it up a slight incline in the grass to get it up behind my house. I sometimes have to put my Chevy Blazer in 4WD to back it up there!

• Like 1

brandonozz

Well I own two C's one with the 12 and one with the 16 Kohler - both with the 8 speed. I love them both and they are tough - I work them qute often in the yard, garden and field. I made the choice to get the C's and avoided a D for the costs and parts availibility. But...... There is a local boat dealership that also sold Wheel Horses many years back. Guess what he uses to pull the boats around daily - two D's. Pretty handy to back up, raise the trailer and drive off. He has been using these same two for over twenty years (maybe longer but I have only lived here that long). Like JackC mentioned - I can definately see the advantage of pulling trailers with a D.

Typhke

Any of the tractors you are considering will do the job just fine I think.

I don't think I'd worry about beefing up the hitch unless you have need fit a weight box there or you load the trailer with a lot of tongue weight. I probably put a hundred hours on a 416h with 150-200 lbs of tongue weight on the stock hitch and it never even bent. No issues, that tractor has 1200 hours on it now. Just watch how you load the trailer and if your axle is in the center of the trailer I doubt you'll have a problem.

As far as pulling weight around, I've pulled a 4500lb tractor around the lot with the same 416h. You won't have to worry about pulling 1500 lbs with any of those tractors if the ground is level as you say.

Now for the loader option. If you honestly think you will put a loader on the tractor, I would lean toward the 416-8. I think it would handle it just fine. I have a 416-8, and while it's not a 520 with forward axle or a D series, it's still a pretty beefy tractor. Also, you will have extra power to run your hydraulics for the loader while you are hauling weight around.

Do all the tractors in question have a separate clutch and brake pedal? Not sure if this is a consideration for you, but I feel a lot more in control and confident in a tractor when my clutch and brake are separate.

The trailer I have now (also home-made) is perfectly balanced. I can load it up to around 2000 lbs and still push it around by hand on my own (without tipping it), so the tongue weight is perfect. I will place the axle to have the same effect on my custom made trailer.

I would like to have a way for loading my custom made trailer, maybe a little crane/winch on the trailer or a little front loader on the tractor. But a front loader would probably be useful for a lot of things. It's not a must but ofc it would be handy. It's not yet clear for me what I'll do in the future but I want to keep as many options open as possible :). So a possibility to run hydraulics would be nice.

I'm not sure about the clutch and brake pedal, but I think they both have the 2. Other can answer this better than me I guess.

Typhke

Btw, what's the difference between the 300 and 400 serie? If the motor and transmission are the same, size of the tires?

midnight rambler

if the 416 is a kohler is would be a good machine also, the onan parts are expensive and if your over seas even more yet, the C121 will be a great tractor