Challenger

Wanted To Buy -- ROPS and dual Wheel Kit for 522xi

Challenger

For a few months I've been keeping my eye out for a ROPS (Rollbar) and dual wheel kit for my 522xi. Now I'm getting serious and really need to track-down these parts.

Can you give me any leads? Do you know of Any Toro Wheel Horse dealers that might have NOS (new old stock)? Any members here that may have parts they would sell?

The 5xi series was built from the late 1990's thru mid 2000's. Models include: 520xi, 522xi, 520lxi, 523dxi, 518xi.

THANK-YOU for any suggestions you might provide.

doc724

I have seen dual wheels for the older 520 series on Craigslist. The tires on those are the same size as the 5xi (I have a 520xi). Maybe they would work on the 5xi? Check with New Haven Power in VT. They had a lot of NOS for Wheelhorse.

Kelly

You have to be very careful putting duels on, you can snap a axle pretty easy with the extra leverage, if you need to put them on, use narrower tires for duels, or just put a set of bigger tires on with out duels.

Challenger

Thanks for the info. Any leads for a ROPS for a 5xi?

Kelly

Never seen a factory roll bar, for a WH.

Challenger

They were available from Toro for the 5xi series. I've seen one live and others in photos.

rexman72

you are correct in that the XI do have the rops.As Doc stated i deal with new haven power equip.they will ship also.there number is 802 453 2175.they have many years experience with wheelhorse products

They were available from Toro for the 5xi series. I've seen one live and others in photos.

Challenger

Thank-you.

Forest Road

I have a 522 xi fel. I saw a photo of the ROPS. Quite frankly it scares me. I'd be more concerned with that bar hindering my escape or crushing me . I doubt it would protect an operator at all.

I have a 522 xi fel. I saw a photo of the ROPS. Quite frankly it scares me. I'd be more concerned with that bar hindering my escape or crushing me . I doubt it would protect an operator at all.

chevelletown

Here is a pic of a factory ROPS for a D250.

dseries001.jpg

• Like 1

Challenger

Perhaps the ROPS was offered to limit liability when using a 5xi with a FEL? Wheel Horse required the FEL to be combined with an "optional" ROPS, Dual Wheel Kit, Weight Box.

Alan_Heist

Seems as though for it to work for the operator it would be necessary to have a seat belt as well.

Forest Road

I saw one with a seatbelt and ROPS. Go look at a 30hp tractor and then at your horse. Our horses are so small I'm firmly convinced that in a rollover the ROPS would so more harm that good to the operator. I don't take any chances operating mine on side slopes or steep hills. It's a glorified lawn mower with a loader. It works quite well for my needs. Hence I will never take a chance with it.

ROPS serves a very important purpose on larger machinery. It's saved many lives. I just think many people forget what our horses were designed for.

If you believe ROPS on an Xi is going to provide adequate protection. Well more power to you. Please operate it safely.

Challenger

Thanks for your concern.

I'd note it is Toro Wheel Horse and Kwik-Way that require the use of the ROPS.

I disagree with the glorified lawn mower opinion. A 5xi is a remarkable machine with a wide range of SAFE uses.

Nick

Duals had always been recommended with the loader but cant say Ive ever seen an xi tractor with ROPS. It could have been some custom fab work and installed by a dealer or two. Next time I get a chance have to look in the books and see if they show anything.

Challenger

It was a factory/dealer option.

shallowwatersailor

I priced the ROPS from New Haven about two years ago for my 518xi. They were still available but close to $800.00 at that time. The dual wheel setup for the 5xi required a new hub to be installed which I think moved the inner wheel closer to the frame. You can find the manual on Toro's site. I run about 100 pounds of wheel weights and chains on my turfs when using my blade for moving dirt, etc. That provides enough traction in my opinion. A set of bar tires would work as well.

To put it in perspective, the Kubota BX is only 3.5 inches wider than the 5xi and has single tires with a FEL.

MalMac

Duel wheels were recommended as a stability issues, it's not that every time you pick the bucket up it's going to fall over. it was suggested because of the risk of operator error. If you read between the lines what the company did was recommend it because some people have no business operating a lawn mower let alone a garden tractor with a bucket that requires some thought pass tieing ones shoes.

After they recommended using duels then all the sudden the dealers were getting complaints of broken axles. So the tech heads said lets offer HD axles. Now I have not seen a recommendation for the broken transmission cases because the Axel does not break but rather puts undo stess on the outer transmission case. No matter how hard they try they cannot come up with common sense and when that fails they can not come up with a way to fix stupid. If you look at all the warning decals they must have an army of lawyers that set around thinking up ways that the company might get sued. If you really look at the warning decals on some of these tractors and attachments and say wow! I nerver would have thought that might happen maybe,( Example keep your fingers out from under the mower deck.) you should just go back to your recyliner and set down where it's nice and safe. Ok my ranting done.

ROPS are always a good idea. You never know when something way beyond operator control could happen. I have had Large farm tractors get to jumpin and scare the crap out of me. Lucky enought to have the smarts to back off the throttle.

Nick

With the price of tractor and loader being so high to start the rops probably didnt sell often, probably very few were ever shipped. After a lot of looking close as I came to a picture was a toro pdf of an attachment brochure. I was unable to find any manuals for literature is simply says to refer to the manufacturer so I assume you would have to try Kwik-way. http://www.toro.com/home/tractors/400xt/co_rp_attachments.pdf

In 2001 there was a service bulletin for hubs on the 5xi. It says that with dual wheel usage there could be a slight movement of the hub and they should be replaced. Also the axle should be inspected for damage and replaced if needed. There is no mention of hardened axles I believe those had only been available for the classic tractors. The replacement hub kit was part number 104-5053. I dont see what change was made other than maybe 1 set screw was added or its location changed or some other improvement that doesn't show in the drawings.

I use a set of steel ring adapters for dual tires and kind of like them. As kelly mentioned narrower tires are better for dual use and I would also run a lower a lower pressure in the outside duals. Other brands such as Steiner recommend this directly on the tractor. It should reduce stresses on the tractor.

• Like 1

Whmaverick

Enter your 2013 January Wheel Horse of the Month submission:

Not trying to jump ahead but, what about taking the winner of each month and vote on those for the top prize for the year? Kinda of the Grand Prize tractor of the year.

I was building my house ten years ago, backed my kubota L3010 in onto the garage floor with a 800# concrete lintel on the palet forks, raised it into place, carefully set it in the bed of mortar, lowered the loader boom and started to drive out just as the front tires dropped off the new concrete floor, my worker who was standing just outside the door opening, freeked out. Having operated equipment all my life, I instantly grabbed the clutch and brake stopping just as the ROPs pushed against the lintel moving it about two inches. As you can imagine my horror as I looked up and realized I almost pulled 800# of instant death down onto my head which would have crushed me before I new what hit me. Please take heed to what our friend MalMac wrote, you can't fix stupid! With all my excellent experience I still almost killed my self. Don't push the limits of these awesome little tractors, every machine has its limits.

MalMac

Yes the HD axels were for the classic series not the Xi series. From my understanding the axles were harden and the key way was alittle different to help stop the shearing of the key. I have never seen the HD axles this is just what I was told from a dealer.

Challenger

Thanks for your concern Whmaverick. I believe your close call comments could apply to an operator of any brand of tractor. I suppose my other option is to forgo a ROPS altogether and just run the machine as is.

Based on a few comments here, I'm not going to install dual rear wheels at this time.

MalMac

Challenger, I have a loader on one of my C series. I use it all the time it's one of the best investments I have made. Your Xi is more tractor than what my C series is and should be just fine for that loader. As far as a ROP goes it would only protect you in case of a complete roll over. Your biggest danger is just flopping over on your side. Unless you are operating on a very steep slope that would cause you to completely roll over. Your biggest danger spot is when you have the bucket fully raised with a load in it and you are moving. Once you start using it you will get a feel for the danger spots. Remember this is not a articulated front end loader like a big piece of construction equipment. It's a garden tractor with limitations and should be treated as such. With that in mind it is a wonderful useful piece of equipment, and will be enjoyed for along time with just plain ol common sense.

Challenger

The loader on our 5xi will be used primarily by my wife to shuttle landscape/gardening products and materials to her multiple "pretty spots" at our home. I'll use it on occasion to lift and move small banks of snow near the mouth of our driveway.

I do understand the importance of using the loader on level ground and ALWAYS keeping the loaded bucket very low and close to the ground when moving the machine.

Yesterday we practiced with a little snow. This spring we'll practice with some mulch.

The ROPS is more a peace of mind attachment just in case of a mistake. My wife and I are not pretending that this small tractor can begin to do CUT or Large tractor tasks. We're looking to save our backs a little and pick-up a some efficiency as we maintain a 4 acre lawn with flower and vegetable gardens, water features and multiple bird feeding spots.

We're on a budget and just are not at the point where we can spend 10 -15 - 20plus THOUSAND DOLLARS on a SCUT or CUT. Perhaps I'm dreaming but that's what we're all about.

shallowwatersailor

Common sense is the name of the game. What you might consider instead is replace the 2-ply turf front tires with Vredestein V61 Heavy Duty 5-Rib 6-ply tires. That would give you more directional control and safety with the load. The 6-ply won't roll off the rim whereas the 2-ply may with the FEL loaded to its limit.