Challenger

Wanted To Buy -- ROPS and dual Wheel Kit for 522xi

Pierrepont

All of the recent Kwik-Way FEL discussions made me wonder about potential safety issues with such a set-up.

Is a  FEL really a wise match for a Toro / Wheel Horse?

gwest_ca

5xi dual wheel kit model 94-2050

Garry

doc724

Any power equipment can be dangerous if you do not use your brain and common sense.  I have an FEL on my 520xi and I use it without duals and 360 pounds of counter weights (wheel weights and suitcase weights).  Common sense (and highlighted in the Kwik Way instructions) include:  keep the load low when moving, always move at 90 degree angle to any slanted surface (go up and down it, not side to side), go slow, and don't try to overload the bucket.  If you do all these and use 4 ply tires you will be OK.   Machines tip over when the center of gravity falls outside the footprint of the machine.  That is why cranes and the like all have outrigggers to make the footprint of the machine very wide

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

If the ROPS is just bolted to the fender like that D2xx pictured earlier, I'm not sure how much it would do anyway. 

Snowmobileaddict

Having seen the factor ROPS that Toro offered for the 5Xi tractors, I'm not sure how good a job it would even do.  It fastens to the frame members down low by the gearbox.  That makes for a lot of leverage.  If you ended up taking a tumble I gotta think that the frame members would get bent up or tweaked pretty bad.  Plus, the ROPS didn't come with a seat belt (at least all the photos I've ever seen a seatbelt wasn't visible).  So, you take a tumble, fall off the machine, the frame maybe gets bent and possible your head gets caved in because the ROPS hoop lands on your melon.

Yikes.

523DxiROPS.3.JPG.aacfa363a394eeec2539518

• Like 3

shallowwatersailor

The ROPS bolts to the frame using the the four holes at the rear edge and may have gone further forward. The slotted plate uses two of the holes and would be removed. The tabs on the ROPS are intended for a seatbelt, But given the low point of attachment of the ROPS and angle of a belt, my feeling is that unless it was a slow roll the operator would be trapped like Kevin mentioned earlier in the thread.

I would feel better if it was more of a cage if using that rear mounting point, or a more vertical attachment without the 90 degree bend. Some of the original ROPS on small tractors from the 90's actually placed the ROPS at the cowl in front of the operator. I'm not sure of that arrangement if the weight bias was towards the rear of the tractor.

DennisThornton
On 1/7/2013 at 7:19 PM, Forest Road said:

I have a 522 xi fel. I saw a photo of the ROPS. Quite frankly it scares me. I'd be more concerned with that bar hindering my escape or crushing me . I doubt it would protect an operator at all.

I have a 522 xi fel. I saw a photo of the ROPS. Quite frankly it scares me. I'd be more concerned with that bar hindering my escape or crushing me . I doubt it would protect an operator at all.

I see I'm not the only one getting dual posts from time to time.

Something anyone having a ROPs REALLY needs to know!  ROPs can kill or harm you just like having no ROPs at all!  If you don't use a seat belt!  The only protection is for the occupant of the seat and if you jump out or get flung out you stand a chance of getting hit, hurt or worse by the ROPs itself.  ROPs/Seatbelt!  ROPs/Seatbelt!  And your miles might still vary, but I think the odds are better with both than without, though remaining upright might be the best choice overall!  Two quick stories.  My NH has ROPs and seatbelts.  I was in the woods logging on a hillside, but the snow covered terrain looked even and I felt safe.  All of a sudden one tire dropped a foot or so, I'm sure my mouth did too and my eyes opened wide!  I didn't roll over but my heart skipped a beat!.  Wind blew snow over a dropped area and hid it!  That hole was uphill!  The other way and I WOULD have rolled.   Another day I was driving down a familiar trail but in deep snow and slide off the trail, almost flipped but didn't!  Snow drift again.  A quick change of underwear and all was well.  I recommend ROPs but don't bother if you don't add a seatbelt!

I just noticed the picture and I have to think those mounts with holes are intended for seatbelts, at least they would be if mine.  They appear to be at a location that would work well.

Pierrepont

If we set aside the ROPS matter, is a 5xi or a 520H really a tractor well suited to a FEL installation?  I can't help but think a FEL might be a little much for a garden tractor.  Even one as 

robust as a large Toro Wheel Horse.

Edited by Pierrepont

Snowmobileaddict

I can't comment on the 520H, but the 522xi is a pretty heavy garden tractor.  Toro designed, at least the 5xi, with an FEL in mind.  The front axle spindles are a full 1" diameter.  An FEL was sold through Toro dealerships as a Toro option for the 5xi line.  Although, the attachment was manufactured and parts came from the contracted manufacturer (KW). 

With that said, the Kwik-Way loader is by no means a replacement for a skid steer, backhoe or other heavy-duty, purpose-built piece of earth work equipment.  Others have said it here on this message board, its a "yard helper".  If you treat it like a replacement for a shovel and a wheelbarrow, I'm sure you'll enjoy decades of trouble free use.  If you carefully read the owners manual, the attachment is intended for handling loose material (rated lift capacity is about 350#).  I wouldn't want to beat on one by trying to do excavation (grading) or monkeying with the relief valve to make it lift more weight than it was designed for.  That's when you'll start breaking things.   

• Like 2

DennisThornton

The XIs are beefy!  Really beefy.  Just take a close look at the front axle and spindles.  I've never had a D series so I can't say the XI is the biggest or strongest but it is much beefier than the Classics.

• Like 1

Forest Road

The Xi series weigh in @ 1000 lbs. The Kwik way FEL works well with adequate ballastweight and decent rear tires or chains for traction. I use mine primarily for sand, stone, and dragging logs. It won't compare to a 4x4 Kubota of similar size but it sure beats a shovel and wheel barrow. 

I cant see why a 520H wouldn't work well. Most important aspect is traction via ballast weight. 

I got a fare deal on my 522xi loader package. There's no way I'd have paid retail for one back in the day. When you're using one of these machines just keep in mind it's not a heavy duty piece of machinery. It's saved me plenty of time and back pain. 

• Like 2