Sign in to follow this  
mowerman1193

Wheel Horse Jigsaw Puzzles

mowerman1193

Playing around today with my scroll saw and look what I made. It's only 48 pieces but either way it was just as fun trying to put this back together after I cut all the little pieces out, LOL

Sized this to aprox. 6 x 8 inch ( actually printed more like 6-3/4 x 8-3/4 ). was trying to make 1 inch pieces but the outer pieces ended up bigger due to my printer screwing up the size for me...but at the cost of ink I wasn't going to get too tech. on it..

Glued the picture to a piece of 1/4 inch Baltic Birch Plywood and cut away.

So what do you think?

post-620-0-89608300-1357436729_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Zeek

Nice job on that! One of a kind I'm sure!

Gene_S

Gotta love that scroll saw! You can see Kevin's work in my aviator picture to the left!

Kelly

Nice Kevin, it's even a odd ball tractor the glass hooded C-161 with briggs twin, and Yes Kevin does great work.

neil

I like it ,

I bought one of your wheelhorse clocks a year or so ago and i am often amazed how you done the lettering on the base of the clock, whats the secret ?

I was toying with the idea of getting a scroll saw to have some fun with , got any tips ?

mowerman1193

Thanks for the nice comments everyone,

Gene, That Wheel Horse ornament looks great on your Christmas tree, I am going to have to make myself one...somehow I sold all the ones I made plus the one I did for myself. Unfortunately the only one I have that didn't sell was a John Deere one that I hung on my tree this year. I made a batch of the Deere ones for a couple friends but never tried to sell them because I am sure the copy wright police would have me on that one since I never tried to get writen consent , LOL

Kelly, yes the odd ball tractor was the nearest picture I had. It was a piece of literature that my dad picked up while shopping for a new Wheel Horse years ago. Then he waited a few more years and bought a Work Horse GT 1600 that I now own and have the paper work ( sales literature reciept etc. ) for it. I tore it down a few ( several ) years ago to do a restore on. Taking it apart was easy but I never went any farther than that. It really was in decent shape and maybe I should just put it back together, LOL

Neil, Those clocks are awesome even if I say so myself, LOL.. That would be cool if you gave scroll sawing a try. I could give a lot of advice but I will stick to the most important ones to start off with. (First) I would say buy good blades, I don't know what you have there in the U.K. but Flying Dutchman blades are what I use, Olsen blades are good too. (Second) I know most people that want to get their feet wet start off with a cheap low end tool, The cheaper ( entery level) saws are a nightmare to try to use and most people will give up the hobby before they even get started. they shake and vibrate so bad you cannot stay on your cutting lines. Here in the U.S. you can pick up a new saw for $150 - $200 but these are the ones to stay away from. I use a Dewalt Model DW788 that is more of a good entery level saw, but new they run around $450+. If your are not wanting to spend much it's best to look for a quality used saw such as the Dewalt, Delta model P20 ( only Delta I consider a quality saw but parts are hard to get ). Hegner saws, Excalibur saw, and RBI Hawk saws are all ones to watch for on craigslist etc. I learned all this the hard way and it was very costly to go through 4 saws before spending the money on a good saw. ( Three) start out using a good quality plywood such as Baltic Birch. as plywood cuts uniformly. Regular hard woods is very hard to cut as the wood grain gives the wood hard and soft spots. So you will be cutting along through a hard spot and all of a sudden it gets soft ( easier cutting ) and it can mess you up in a heart beat.

If you have more interest send me a message I would be glad to offer help/advice, and I can give you some links to some good informative sites for scroll sawing and they have a lot of free patterns too..

Again thanks for the nice comments everyone,

Kevin

VinsRJ

That is great!

Jake Kuhn

Thats very cool! Great job on it! :handgestures-thumbup:

mowerman1193

Thanks again guys...

Today I started making a wood Wheel Horse puzzle box to store the puzzle in. Box will be made of Walnut and Oak wood. Maybe laminate a small picture of the puzzle in the box top and possibly cut a emblem out to put on the box front. Not sure of the details of what I will do but hoping it will be cool..Probably going to find the set on ebay soon,

Kevin

neil

im off now to see if i can buy me a scroll saw, i love your work Kevin

Edited by neil