Sign in to follow this  
Cvans

Just because I really liked the last one.

Cvans

Several years ago I built a Diesel WH by installing a Lister-Petters LT-1 into a 10-8. I just loved the darn thing. It would pull anything you hooked to it and the sound of the low speed single cylinder engine was pure music. Unfortunately the transaxle couldn't take the abuse and shucked it guts. Garden work with that tractor was a pure joy. Two things I longed for was more weight on the front to keep the tires on the ground and a hydro lift.

I recently started a project that should take care of these wants.

This is what I'm starting with this time. It's an electro 12 with hydraulic lift. No I didn't paint it blue. :) Are these WH wheel weights?

post-755-0-08911500-1357361862_thumb.jpg

This is the engine. The fly wheel is huge and very heavy. Lister told me the crankshaft weighs as much as the flywheel. That's a full sized alternator in the photo.

post-755-0-89793300-1357362029_thumb.jpg

And this is where I'm at as of this evening. I have had it running and will start on the wiring tomorrow.

post-755-0-09324400-1357362160_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

Very cool build! :jaw: That thing is going to have some Serious Torque! :text-datsphatyo: I look forward to watching this one. :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

Wheelhorse84

Yes the are.

squonk

How many RPM's will it run at? I'm wondering about the hydro if it's pulley isn't spinning fast enough.

Kelly

Going to be a power house, what direction does the engine spin?? I see your driving it off the flywheel side most all small engines flywheel side the spin clockwise, WH runs the engines off the PTO side and that is counter clockwise, so if that is like a normal engine you will be spinning the pump backwards, and the above question the pump should be run at the correct speed, but I think if the engine is a bit slower than a gas one you will be ok with the bigger pulley.

Sparky

How many RPM's will it run at? I'm wondering about the hydro if it's pulley isn't spinning fast enough.

Maybe... but did ya see the size of the drive pulley on the engine? Looks much bigger than the 5" the Electro would of had. That'll make up for the lower RPM's.

Mike..........

Sparky

Are these WH wheel weights?

They sure are.

Mike...........

Cvans

Good questions and I will try and answer them.

These engines can run up to 3000 rpm. I'm running this one at 1500 if I remember correctly. The original W.H. pulley is around 5" and this one is 8". The tires are larger also.

Going to be a power house, what direction does the engine spin??

This side of the engine turns CCW. The shaft on the other side of the engine is only to be used for the manual starter and runs at half speed. The later models come with a cover over that shaft to keep it inaccessible. This engine is electric start also. Thanks for the heads up though. :)

Thanks for the info on the wheel weights. This is the first set that I have run across. I will fabricate a rock box to place in front of the lower hood mount. Plan is to place the battery in there for more weight on the front end. The axle pivot plates and pin were very worn. The pin was built up and turned down and larger plates installed. Now everything is good and tight.

Appreciate your interest and replies.

Wishin4a416

Looks like a great project! Keep us posted.

Jake Kuhn

Looks like a really cool project!!!

Cvans

Finished up the wiring yesterday and fabricated the battery mount Need to install a good seat and then take it for a drive next week.

If someone would be willing to post a video of it running I'll forward it to you. I think you will like the way it runs.

JimmyJam

Very cool looking project at the start! Going to be a real powerhouse!

Cvans

I had the tractor out and driving this evening before sunset. Took some photos of it running and a couple of videos from the drivers seat while driving. According to my GPS it does about 5.2 mph in forward and 2.5 in reverse which is plenty fast for around the yard. I like the feel of the hydro controls on this tractor much better than the Cub Cadet. Looks like it will work very good turning dirt in the garden. As you can see by looking at the flywheel it is running in the photos.

post-755-0-35548500-1357600653_thumb.jpg

post-755-0-73122700-1357600801_thumb.jpg

As can be seen I need to install the running boards, battery cover, and belt guards. I don't have much planned right away as far as appearance goes. I want to change the hydro filter and oil then run it this summer to get the bugs out before painting.

If someone could direct me to information on posting a video on here I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

gcole

Looks like a really cool project

artfull dodger

Looks great Chris, the hydro should tollerate the torque pulses from the diesel better than the gear drive did. Although I am supprised being a sidewinder belt drive that didnt absorb enough to spare the rear end. Hydro is much better in my book, they just take a bit more driver input when plowing in the field when compared to a gear drive where you just stick it in a gear and sit back and steer. Mike

bowtiebutler956

Very cool creation! :jaw: That should be an awesome work Horse! :thumbs: Thanks for the video.

Cvans

I've about come to the end of this project less of course the paint and decals which will be a warm weather project,

Below are two photos showing the Trojan Horse as it is ready to leave the shop.

Thanks for your interest,

post-755-0-57830300-1358309405_thumb.jpg

post-755-0-27945100-1358309437_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

bowtiebutler956

Very Nice work on the belt guards! :text-datsphatyo: You do nice work, and should be proud. I look forward to seeing this project back in :wh: Red! Common warm weather! :thumbs:

earlleecliffton

nice fab work

312Hydro

Thanks for the videos,sounds great! Great fabrication and it will look great in red! :handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-thumbupright:

Stigian

What a great build, me likey :handgestures-thumbup: