smoreau

Custom heavy duty 2" hitch build #4

smoreau

We got 11 hitches built so far. Its been a busy Sat and know I have a sick little girl :sad: So I haven't got all I wanted to get done this weekend. I didn't get the extra plates drilled like I wanted and Tom is still working on the square hole thing. Trying to get them made without spending $130 on a broach. I plan on getting them cleaned up and ready to paint in the next day or so. Here is a pic of the hitches

photo3_zps24145c6c.jpg

We had some help with the welding this time around, Tyler witch is Toms son is taking welding classes at his high school and we decided that it was time to put him to work!

photo2-3_zps3c9a6210.jpg

photo-72_zps4fd93c16.jpg

photo-12-3_zps6b94ab86.jpg

And what a pic that Tom took of me that I thought was cool looking

photo-11-1_zps7829b092.jpg

If all goes well this week and Gabby is feeling better, I should have all the hitches that were ordered without the extra plates shipped out next Sat. Also we will build the rest of the hitches, XI hitch, and the tiller hitch next Sat also. 16 sold and I have room for 6 more without getting any more material If needed I will buy more.

Edited by smoreau
  • Like 2

Alan_Heist

Lookin' good! It must be cold in your shop based on his jacket with sweatshirt under it. I would watch for slag hitting those draw strings! Things could get warmer than expected... Hehe

smoreau

Lookin' good! It must be cold in your shop based on his jacket with sweatshirt under it. I would watch for slag hitting those draw strings! Things could get warmer than expected... Hehe

Tyler doesn't have a welding jacket yet, so we made him ware that jacket. It was 65deg in that part of the shop which is great working temp. The large part of the shop was around 40 deg. where the saw and steel was kept. Tomorrow is going to be a high of 9deg with 15-20 mile hour winds! tonight it will be 0deg and my home furnace is running over time and has not shut off in the last 5 hours cease I got home and still is not up to temp. just very cold out! it normally goes down to 68 when not home and 73 when I am home. I have Eden pure heaters in both bedrooms for night time so I can turn the furnace down at night, but when its this cold out I run both all the time. Consumers and DTE is going to love me this month!

Edited by smoreau

kwalshy

I am very excited about this hitch. I can't wait to tow the log splitter around with it and then move the boat. My wife said she would take a video of me moving the boat with the WH, but that will have to wait until Spring. Too much snow here now and I plowed it in.

• Like 1

smoreau

Tom has the tool made to make the square hole in the extra plates, He said it should work good in the arbor press. I look forward to seeing it work and making these plates look better. It shure is nice that he works at a top notch machine shop that can build just about anything out of metal! Tom said it would try to get into the shop this fri if it warms up a little. Just too cold to waist that much propane to get the shop warm enough to do 1-2 hours of work.So we will wait tell it gets warmer. These 0 deg days are hard to get motivated to go out in the cold! are shops heater at work never shut off once and it only got up to 50 deg in the shop. my feet are cold and just want to get warm!

roscoemi

I know your pain Scott! When it's this cold the furnace runs 24/7. I picked up a pellet stove 5 years ago and cut my heat bill in half, the furnace never runs and no wood to haul or split. I like the hitch and will contact you after things settle down around here, or I'll be in on your next batch.

• Like 1

smoreau

Ok it's official! I do not like this Rust-oleum Regal red paint!! I tried it out on two hitches and the color looks Great! but it runs very easy. And don't try and put a second cote on it 24 hours later! Lifted and looks very bad! :banghead: I new all of this, but I have been so use to the valvspar paint that didn't do this. so I had all the hitches painted tonight and the two that I had put a second cote will now need to be put in a solvent tank to get all the wrinkled paint off. So I put a light second cote on the rest of the hitches while they were still tacky and they should be fine. I guess I just want to make more work for my self :banghead:

• Like 1

smoreau

All hitches that were ordered so far are built. They are in my work shop warming up to get there first cote of primer latter today. Extra plates are now made with square holes in them and will work much better then before. Tom made a punch set up that goes in the press that cuts the corners out of a 3/8 round hole. It is time consuming job, but looks and works much better then before and worth the extra effort. Tiller hitch and XI hitch are also made and the XI hitch was test fitted and looks good. Dimensions are now saved in a safe spot. All hitches will be mailed out by next Sat. the 2nd of Feb. Some picks of the XI and the tiller hitch.

photo2-3_zps1badef6b.jpg

photo-9-1_zps80345f11.jpg

photo-7-2_zps1f0f793b.jpg

photo-8-1_zps5b27e258.jpg

And the tiller hitch, it is 2" shorter. I did not get the chance to check this hitch out on the tractor as I didn't have a tractor over to toms with a tiller dozer blade mount on it. I will try to get it mounted latter this week and try it out.

photo-12-3_zps76164694.jpg

photo-5-2_zps649c47af.jpg

photo-6-1_zps1e1544ae.jpg

photo-22-1_zpse4a89d48.jpg

the extra plates

photo-3-2_zpse64b369a.jpg

photo-2-2_zps07ddfc09.jpg

smoreau

I do have material to make 6 more hitches. If you would like one let me know and shout me a PM. I plan on building them in 2 weeks as I will be busy next Sat with other plans.

shallowwatersailor

Just a short testimonial on Scott's hitches. This year I finally had a solution for using my Cyclone Rake and to still have the rear plow hitch attached on my 518xi. This is the third mount that I have used. The first is the Cyclone Rake version which is useless. The second I needed to unbolt one or the other. For this version I tried a Pintle Hitch adapter plate but even the shortest one was too long. I settles on using a Warn winch carrier for 2" receivers, I was able to bolt on the adapter from Cyclone Rake and then attach it to the hitch. Those familiar with the Cyclone Rake know that it creates quite a bit of horizontal stress when turning, especially loaded. This was solid and remained so for this past leaf season. In the future I intend to attach a small tool box for the CR tools on the remaining part of the plate.

The other hitch that I have from Scott is on my C-105. That is handy for moving my splitter around, and could even pull the Cyclone Rake while using the extension hoses that I have if need be. These are great!

DSCF8351_zps8e32c87d.jpgDSCF8353_zps2beee5ec.jpg

• Like 1

smoreau

Good news! All hitches that were ordered so far will be shipped in the morning! It has been a very BUSY week! I ended up buying a new horse hauler that needed some TLC, but was a great deal! its a 2000 S10 extended cab 2wd that I picked up for $1500. It needed a radiator, tune up, carrier bearing, and tires. It's going to get a trans mod next week at the trans shop to fix the normal trans issue. Should be a good little work truck and horse hauler! Its been slow at work and I was able to fit in all the repairs in during work hours and the old venture van is going to get sent to the scrap yard in the morning after the hitches are sent out. Here is a pic of my new to me truck.

photo-14_zps8f248ec0.jpg

photo-23-1_zps0afae954.jpg

photo-13-1_zpsecefafe3.jpg

• Like 2

Ken B

Nice new hauler you got there! 4.3 motor? Which tranny issues are you having? Shift late and hard?

smoreau

Nice new hauler you got there! 4.3 motor? Which tranny issues are you having? Shift late and hard?

2.2 automatic. It has a code p1840 trans component slipping, it is actually a TCC code and the torque convertor clutch solenoid is variable and is not getting enough pressure to do what the computer wants it to do. Our trans guy (different shop) told me that it is a very common problem and he has to remove the valve body and make some adjustments to it so it will have full lock up instead of variable and the problem will be solved. $120 witch includes a fluid change and filter that I haven't done yet is not bad for this repair. I also have to get the drive shaft balanced as I have a slight vibration at 55 and it's worse at 70. That is $95 and if they install 3 new spicier non grease-able joints around $200 The joints are ok, but original, depending on funds, I will get the joints replaced. The spicier non grease-able joints are IMHO the best joints available! I have installed thousands of u-joints in my job and the quality of these joints is FAR SUPERIOR to any other joint on the market. I very rarely ever seen one fail, Precision joints are ok, but don't last more then 5 years, and never get greased when they should. Spicier is original equipment and last a long time.

smoreau

Well I have good news :) and bad news :sad: and more bad news :text-imsorry:

First the good news: All hitches are sent out! You should have gotten a tracking # in your PM's and let me know when you get them. Thank you to all that have bought them so far and enjoy the hitches!

Bad news #1 USPS has raised the prices of shipping parcel post! I actually cost me more then what I quoted to ship the packages yesterday then what I quoted you guys, But I am a man of my word and what I quote you guys is what it will be and I will take the cost out of my end. It was about $7 more per box then what I quoted. I also noticed today that if I do Priority Mail online its about $1-2 cheaper. But I do not have a scale to measure the exact weight. so I am looking for a cheaper way to get these out to you. The average shipping for the standard hitch with extra plates and bolts, price of the box, tape was around $20-22. Know its about $7 more. I am trying to keep these affordable to you guys! but steel prices going up, shipping prices going up, its getting to the point that 1 hitch will cost around $160 with shipping! I am NOT HAPPY with this! I think I need to check out UPS and Fed x again.

Bad news #2 The tiller hitch is not working out at all at this point. Just too much in the way with this one. It does not have enough room for the idler pulley and belt to run with out interference. Also the lift cable rubs the top of the hitch witch will not be good for the cable life. Also the tiller lift point on my tiller rubs the receiver tube flare. Most tillers have a chain to lift the tiller, but mine has the long bar that the cable attaches to. I was just too cold and unhappy to even take pics of what I found out trying to hook this up. Like I said that I need to try this out before I sell any, and I am very glad that I did. I what these to work for you guys and not have any issues hooking up the tiller. When things slow down a little and it gets warmer out I will try and make some kind of quick release design for this hitch that you can take the hitch off the tractor with out having to use any tools. I got some ideas in my head, just not the time to put them to steel at this time. :text-imsorry: about this again, and I want them to work for you and if it's not wright, its not for sale yet.

• Like 1

smoreau

I am still making the standard hitch and XI hitch. I have enough material to make 4 more, and I can order more material to make as many as you guys want. so if you want one, I am still making them for about another month. just send me a PM

Scott

smoreau

I got some more good news!!! :) :)

I did some checking around today and FedEx is now my primary shipper. I have a location near my parents house witch is a little farther to drive, but it will save you guys some $$$ It's just a little more then the old USPS prices and faster shipping!!

• Like 1

Martin

thanks scott for shopping around on the shipping. quite often the shipping on heavy stuff can be a deal breaker for me. looking forward to seeing your work........

Pops

Scott

Received mine yesterday, Wow what workmanship. Anyone trying to decide about purchasing one, should not let one get away.

Thanks

Jim

Martin

yes, i second that....

thank you very much, mate......

wow, great piece scott! very impressed with the workmanship......

i got mine today and test fitted it on the c125. eventually it may go on the gt1848, but i was curious to see how it looked mounted up.......

heres some pics. all ready for some powdercoat ih red after a good blast and wash........

post-4321-0-87412600-1360272938_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-49915000-1360272958_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-05357000-1360272974_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-81131100-1360273079_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-01495400-1360273100_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-56431000-1360273120_thumb.jp

scWHhauler

Got both of my on wed this, will be a great addition to my dads 141 restore and my GT 2500. GREAT workmanship great design.The GT2500 is all ready mounted and pulled my utility trailer form the backyard to the driveway I will send some pictures this weekend.THANKS

Martin

all painted up. looks great on the tractor, thanks again scott!!!!

post-4321-0-10637800-1360363103_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-39969500-1360363123_thumb.jp

• Like 1

carlsbarn2

I would like a XI for my 310-8

rick

Haven't installed mine yet, but it is well made! Scott kept in touch during the build/shipping, very happy with the transaction!

smoreau

Thanks for the great comments guys!! I have one hitch left that is built with no home yet. It is not painted yet and can be ready to ship in just a few days. Orders have slowed down and a few need to wait A few months before they can afford one. So I will do another build in a month or two depending on demand. I have gotten lots of great comments and thank you PM's from you guys, and I am very happy that you like them. I do have some Ideas for the tiller hitch, but I need to wait tell it warms up a little to get it fine tuned before I make it a hitch that I will sell.

Thanks again guys!!

Scott

Machria

Can you make one for the GT14? Pic of my ass end........ Thanks....

post-9546-0-03251200-1360828584.jpg