Sign in to follow this  
otrelwood

GT 14 trans oil

otrelwood

getting ready to change oil in a gt 14 transaxle anyone know what oil is recommended ? thanks

stevasaurus

Found this in the manuals section. :) Looks like 3 speed takes 90wt...8 speed takes 140 wt...auto takes 10W30 or 10W-40.

meadowfield

when they were new - they had auto transmission fluid. Later GT14's used 10W30 and the manual/decals were updated.

otrelwood

not sure on the year of this one and its low on fluid so i dont know what it has in it without draining before chasing the new oil but i should be safe with a good multiweight engine oil correct?

Iggy68

I just drained the tranny in the one I just got and it was transmission fluid. This brings up a good question. Is the oil for the hydro unit and the transmission separate? It looked to me it was all one. I looked for a drain plug for the hydro and couldn't find one.

otrelwood

it is one unit

refracman

IN 73 they switched to motor oil before that they were type F trans. Some shops did switch the pre 73 over when they worked on them some didn't.

If it has motor oil go with 10W30, if trans use the newest Dextron

They are one unit and share the same oil

Edited by refracman
  • Like 1

Iggy68

Mine has a Napa filter on it. The numbers have worn off. I did a search and read in a post by Brrly telling someone to replace a Napa filter with. Toro filter. I need to get a new filter. What is wrong with using the Napa filter?

jeremi3210

I dont think there is anything wrong with a napa filter as long as it is a hydraulic oil filter. I use napa 1410 filters on all my hydros.

refracman

It has to do it having or not having a bypass in it. I can't remember if its suppose to have one or not. I use the OE one just to sure, the cost isn't that much more and the dealer is close by.

gin

It's advised to change the fluid/filter every 100hrs or ea year and use either ATF or 10w30 but don't mix. If it is dextron then you should drain all the current fluid before adding 10w30 or stick with dextron. If there is someone more technical maybe they could explain why a mixture isn't recommended. Beer and wine are both tasty but together, well... :)