Sign in to follow this  
RJR49

blower belts

RJR49

C-160 with a 42" snow blower. I moved the Belt to the inside pulley to blow snow. Belt didn't align an had problems. I removed the v pulley from the idler and it worked OK. I don't see another solution. Any other ideas?

gwest_ca

Belt should be 5/8" x 69"

Garry

RJR49

Thanks Gary.

The tractor is a 1-6214 S/N 95071, the blower is a 6-6214 I have the part number as 9750 for the belt. The belt I have on it is probably not the right one as the idler is just about straight. Could almost get by without it as the belt is so tight.

The tractor and blower are the same vintage so I would think that the pulleys would align unless the blower is suppose to be on the smaller pulley. As it is the belt would jump off the V pulley. I am thinking of getting a smalller pulley for the jack shaft so I can speed up the auger and get the pulleys to line up. I don't see any other way for this to work

Randy

gwest_ca

You posted the wrong tractor model number and which does the serial number belong to?

The belt should go on the outer pto groove and the 9750 belt should be correct. I replaced my snowthrower pulley with a much larger one. I found that the slower speed throws just as much if not more snow and increases my power to the snowthrower. Our snow is cold and dry 99% of the time.

Go into the manuals here at RS and do a search for 803958. That should bring up the manual and parts list.

Garry

RJR49

Gary

Head was in the wrong place. 6-6214 is the blower. I do not have the tractor S/N here but I do not think that matters. It is a C-160 and the blower fits it just as well as the other C Series Tractors I have owned. I stopped at NAPA this morning for a replacement belt. They have a 5L which appears to be a super strong belt but I have tried them before on mowers and they jump off the pullies. I Googled V belts and it appears that 5V is the right profile. I think the problem with the 5L is the height. All this flailing around is based on past experience buying non available Wheel Horse belts that always seem slightly different than standard belts. The guy at NAPA asked me to get the Wheel Horse number and he would try to cross it.

I am still planning to down size the cross shat pulley to increase the auger speed 10%. I did that on a 30" blower I had on my 1075 and was happy with the result.

As I was digging around on the internet this morning I came accross a discussion on tall chute vs short chute. I thought the tall chute was only on the 2 stage blower but apparently not. My short chute loads up so often in the snow we have here in Connecticut I can't imagine trying to keep a tall chute clean. Any thoughts on that.

Randy

RJR49

Back to my past problem of finding the right belt. 5V belts are not available in 69" lengths. So, reducing the size of the cross shaft pulley to 4 5/8" - 4 3/4" will let me use one of the standard belts.

varosd

tall chutes and replaceable scraper blades were added in the Mid 90's single stages if I remember and they also got rid of the cable for the chute rotation and went to a worm gear rig. I think some creative fabbers have created their own tall chutes, worm gear chute rotation etc.

BigRedD180

I have been looking for a belt for my blower as well and found this one.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200468321_200468321

Pretty good price, too.

RJR49

The cable is sometimes annoying. Mine had a double taper barrel. Never could get that to work right so I made a spool with flanges on the ends. It works a lot better but I wish I had the gear setup.

gwest_ca

Belts that travel over a flat idler are constructed different. The tensile cords are more to the center of the cross-section so the rubber does not have to strech so far which causes them to crack. The Gates green belts or the same green belts from Napa meet this spec.

Garry

squonk

If your 5L belts are jumping you have problems other that the belts. I sold Napa green belts for 10 yrs in 3L, 4L and 5L. Superior quality. It's all I run. I have 3L on my 704 deck, 4L on my C160 deck and mule drive and 5L690W belt on my blower. No problems what so ever.

Wyattrrp

Here is a page from the 42 inch blower manual. Happens to be a 2001 79360 but same page was published for a number of years. In the manuals section there several.

8472627454_545e05077b.jpg

Belt fits right sized and follows the pulley path on the outer smaller PTO pulley. At 3600RPM the auger spins fast enough for me. Here is a photo this past Saturday blowing the full 20 inch auger bite with the upper deflector wing. Snow was 24 inches. It through the snow 30+ ft. Good enough for me. I have 312-8 and with outer PTO pulleu it give more power to the auger.

8471545643_65afec1343.jpg

Sorry it is blurry as it was clipped from a video posted in the Blizzard thread. If you want the belt to align correctly, put it on outer PTO groove per the manual. This also stops the belt from hitting the hood upright front side post wearing on the side paint. If you want the auger to spin faster, reduce size of pulley on the drive shaft. Not sure why that is necessary though since it throws plenty far at full RPM on the outer PTO pulley. Tall chute seems to route the snow in a tighter enclosed chute higher than the short chutes, which are also round and short letting the snow release lower down. Up higher in the chute the snow tends to stay together when released from the top of the chute, thus throwing it farther and in a tighter flow out the top. I know 2 stage do it even farther but unless you need to clear the garage to store the snow in the rear yard, the SS seems to do pretty well at least on the 312.

• Like 1