leeave96

Onan Fuel Pump Recommendations

leeave96

I'm thinking about replacing the fuel pump on my 520H and have a few questions.

The present fuel pump is part number 149-1322 - and that is the number on the pump on the tractor. This pump is rectangular in shape, has the fuel inlet at the bottom, outlet at the top and vacuum line going perpendicular to the body into the flywheel housing tin.

The parts list (via parts tree) shows the fuel pump as p/n 149-1982 and the cost is nearly $150 - ouch!

I did some searching in the engine forum here and found that Napa has an electric fuel pump, p/n 610-1051 that is about $50.

Question is - what are benefits of going with an electric fuel pump vs a vacuum fuel pump? Is there a lower cost alternative to the vacuum pump that is a vacuum pump (not electric). What other options do I have with regards to replacing my fuel pump on this Onan?

BTW, the tractor is a 1988 year model.

Thanks!

Bill

ol550

Try Onanparts.com $62.50 for the replacement vacuum pump.

JackC

I prefer keeping my machines as close to factory as I can but you do not need to use an ONAN vacuum fuel pump. There are less expensive vacuum pumps that will work. I have a non ONAN vacuum pump mounted on the side of the hood stand on my 1989 520HC. The vacuum line was extended to reach the pump. Here is some reading on fuel pumps. Scroll down to about the middle of the article.

As to electric pumps, he says :

'One nice thing about electric fuel pumps besides they're very reliable, is that they're self-priming. Meaning when an engine runs out of gas, the engine won't have to be cranked a lot (making yourself tired from a rope starter, or risk burning up an electric starter from excessive cranking) waiting for a vacuum or mechanical pump to put gas to the carburetor. As soon as the ignition is turned on (if the electric pump is wired in with the ignition circuit), the electric pump instantly puts gas to the carburetor."

http://gardentractor...om/carbfuel.htm

• Like 1

JC 1965

I have switched 2 of my tractors to electric fuel pumps and have already purchased another one for the other tractor and will install it this spring when it gets warm outside. I really like the electric because it starts instantly, no more cranking to get the fuel up to the carb. :hide:

leeave96

I have switched 2 of my tractors to electric fuel pumps and have already purchased another one for the other tractor and will install it this spring when it gets warm outside. I really like the electric because it starts instantly, no more cranking to get the fuel up to the carb. :hide:

What make and model are you using and where/how do you mount it?

Any pics?

Thanks!

Bill

jhs

i like the electric fuel pumps i had them on my onan 16hp and im going to get one for the wheel horse to i think they are better

JC 1965

Sorry Bill, I don't have any pics. I use the Facet Purolator model EFP-3. It is rated at 1&1/2 to 4 PSI. I got them on ebay for $39. There are other models out there I think NAPA has one that works real good, don't know the model number but just stay in that PSI rating and it will be fine. I mounted one on a Raider 12 under the fuel tank and one on a C-121 under the seat pan on top of the trans. Just follow the simple directions to mount and hook up the fuel line and wiring. You won't have any trouble and you will be very pleased with the results. Hope this helps.

sorekiwi

I had a 516 that I ran for a while using a Honda pulse pump on it:

hon_16700-zl8-003.jpg

I dont seem to be able to find a part # for it now. I paid about $25 for it at the time.

TT

I dont seem to be able to find a part # for it now. I paid about $25 for it at the time.

Looks like a good old Mikuni:

http://www.joetlc.com/mikuni-df52708-fuel-pump-yamaha-golf-cart-briggs-p-5508.html

sorekiwi

Yeah, think thats it. Its a cheap way to see if a fuel pump is going to fix your problem.

My 518 ran fine on this pump, I mowed 2 acres with it (42" deck) a couple of times, and the motor ran fine.

rick

I cranked up my 3 today, and the C-100 was the only one that fired up quickly,after put the booster on the battery. The other two (314-8 and 416-H) cranked way too long before the gas got to the carb. I see two electric pumps on the way soon!

TT

It's a lot cheaper to close the fuel valve when you're done using the tractor and open it right before the next use. If you forget, lightly pressurize the tank and they start almost immediately.

rick

Good tip, Terry, I will definitely try that ! There are other things I can spend those $$$ on!

zeedubbya

Sorry Bill, I don't have any pics. I use the Facet Purolator model EFP-3. It is rated at 1&1/2 to 4 PSI. I got them on ebay for $39. There are other models out there I think NAPA has one that works real good, don't know the model number but just stay in that PSI rating and it will be fine. I mounted one on a Raider 12 under the fuel tank and one on a C-121 under the seat pan on top of the trans. Just follow the simple directions to mount and hook up the fuel line and wiring. You won't have any trouble and you will be very pleased with the results. Hope this helps.

What's the best way to wire and mount this particular fuel pump? I read this thread and had been considering putting an efp on my 520h when lo and behold I was over at my brother in laws garage the other day and he had this exact model? He was going to use it for moving diesel fuel out of containers, but didnt end up using it so he gave it to me. Alas it has no instructions though. Any advice would be highly appreciated!

JackC

Not a tractor but close:

A good place to mount the pump would be under the seat and under the fuel tank on the fender support so gravity fills the pump. Then run a wire back from the ignition circuit to the pump. You can get spade connectors at any radio shack so you do not need to cut any wires. Should not need the pressure regulator. Be sure to close off the vacuum port that was used for the vacuum pump.

http://www.kirkengines.com/

JC 1965

Yes I agree with JackC, I would just add, The pump has a red wire and a black wire, red is hot. I Also installed a toggle switch on the dash tower for the fuel pump, so I could turn the pump off in case I need to have the key in the on position with the engine off for any reason ( like checking something in charging system etc. ) If you don't install a switch for the pump it runs when the key is on. I also installed an inline 5 amp fuse for the pump. Hope this helps !! :thumbs2:

• Like 1

TT

This is on my list: inline one-way check valve

One of those mounted just beyond the shut-off valve should eliminate the fuel drainback / loss of prime that causes hard starting.

I have absolutely no desire to add more wiring to machines already plagued with electrical issues.

leeave96

Update: I installed an electric fuel pump on my 1988 520-H, but there was VERY LITTLE room to mount it anywhere in/on the tractor. In the engine bay, the big Onan 20 hp engine pretty much fills-up that area. There was room to mount the fuel pump beside the battery on the inside of the PTO lever side of the dash tower sheet metal, but it would be right next to the exhaust, so I'm thinking hot exhaust muffler and rubber fuel line - might not be a good mix. There is zero room under the seat and rear fender due to the under seat/fender fuel tank and hydro filter from the Eaton 11 tranny and from the linkages for the clevis hitch. I could mount the fuel pump to the bottom most portion of the front hood, near the hinge, but felt like that would vibrate to much. So what I did was mount the fuel pump on the exterior of the tractor in front of the hydro lever on the left side of the tractor, beneath the hood. It is horizontally next to the present vacuum pump and so the fuel lines were easily transferred to the electronic fuel pump. I left the vacuum pump in place and blocked off the fuel lines to it. I thought this would look TERRIBLE and tried to avoid it at every turn, but in the end, it doesn't look bad. I wired the power and ground to the gauges under the dash tower, so all I needed was ring terminals and didn't have to cut any existing wires. The pump runs when the switch is on this way too. The best part of this fuel pump is - before I cranked the engine, I let the pump run for a few seconds and it took a pretty much empty fuel line, a new/empty fuel filter and filled them with gas. There was absolutely no guessing if fuel was at the carb. The pump is self priming too. The pump is a Facet "Posi-Flo" EFP-3 and is sold at NAPA for around $50 under the part number 610-1051. This pump is 1.5 - 4 psi and was referenced on Brian Miller's tractor pulling web site. We'll see how it goes with this pump - that's why I left the old one in place. I'll post some pics as soon as my the post office delivers my check to the site owner and I can post more pics - I've hit my freebie limit... :banghead::)

Thanks!

Bill

• Like 1

JackC

You can delete old attachments (usually photos) to make room for new ones. See help near the bottom of the screen.

546cowboy

I had a 520 with an electric pump and it was mounted in the same place the old pump was and it worked fine there. The pumps I've seen around here are Mr. Gasket pumps and they are not rated by P.S.I. they are rated by gallons per minute so the info related to psi is helpful. Don't forget to plug that hard to get to vacuum hose if you change to an electric pump. :twocents-02cents:

JC 1965

This is on my list: inline one-way check valve

One of those mounted just beyond the shut-off valve should eliminate the fuel drainback / loss of prime that causes hard starting.

I have absolutely no desire to add more wiring to machines already plagued with electrical issues.

Looks like that should work great, wish I would have known it was available. :confusion-shrug: Sure would have been cheaper and a lot less work to install. :eusa-whistle:

leeave96

You can delete old attachments (usually photos) to make room for new ones. See help near the bottom of the screen.

To late - check is in the mail... :)

JackC

To late - check is in the mail... :)

Supporting the site is always the better way to go.

TheMooseIsLoose

546cowboy

Why would you need to block the vaccum line, can you just block both ends of old fuel pump. Do you mean the one behind the old fuel pump?

Mjh
On 12/29/2012 at 11:47 PM, sorekiwi said:

I had a 516 that I ran for a while using a Honda pulse pump on it:

hon_16700-zl8-003.jpg

Why would anyone use a Japanese part on an American made tractor 😂 lol.