Sign in to follow this  
mikemc53

K181 / Starter

mikemc53

Well the C-81 did a great job of pushing snow the other day but as soon as I finished the last pass and shut it down so that I could move the Jeep around...no start. The starter spins but doesn't engage. Had this happen on an older Craftsman years ago and the bendix wasn't moving up to engage the flywheel - had to replace the starter. Now with this one I haven't gone back out to the barn to check it again since I towed it back in but I was wondering if there are any things I might be able to play around with in lieu of replacing the starter, or before replacing the starter. Also...if or when I need to replace the starter...how hard is it to get at and any suggestions on where to get parts?

Thanks in advance.

1978 C-81

Kelly

You can remove the starter and clean the shaft the Bendix rides on, I don't use oil, but a dry graphite to lube the shaft, when you have the starter out check for play in the shaft it should not move side to side at all, or very little, if it does the bushing is worn, but you probaly got snow on the shaft and it is sticking, in a pinch you can spray WD-40 on the shaft in the tractor and try it, but I'm sure pulling and cleaning is needed.

krazy_horse

Sounds like the starter shaft is dirty or the small spring is broken. I would clean the shaft with a little WD 40, you can see between the shroud and tell if the drive gear is moving towards the flywheel.. Some times the lube gets sticky on the shaft with dirt and the cold weather. Good luck! krazy_horse

JimmyJam

As most have said, sounds like a dirty, dusty, shaft. I you need a new starter, like I did, I picked one up at Auto Zone for about $50. It was special ordered and arrived in two days.They took the model number for of the original and they didn't want the core. So may be some day Ill rebuild it.

mikemc53

Thanks guys.

Got it apart and cleaned it up. It is now moving real good but I am having some trouble getting the end cap back on the starter. The springs keep the magnets (4 each) from setting down in the holders so I just can't seem to get the end cap in place. Any tricks for this that have worked for others??

All ideas will be greatly appreciated and gladly accepted.

Thanks gang.

sorekiwi

Youre talking about the springs that push the brushes up against the commutator?

If so, I normally pull the end of the spring off the brush and set it on the edge of the holder (so its not pushing on the brush). Pull the brushes back so the armature will comeback to where it needs to be. Then put the ends of the springs back where they are supposed to be on the brushes. Hope that makes sense.

stevasaurus

I made some clips out of galvanized metal to hold in the bushings while getting the armature to seat.

2010_0105B-100starter0014.jpg

2010_0105B-100starter0015.jpg

2010_0105B-100starter0017.jpg

• Like 2

gregg'shorses

I made some clips out of galvanized metal to hold in the bushings while getting the armature to seat.

2010_0105B-100starter0014.jpg

2010_0105B-100starter0015.jpg

2010_0105B-100starter0017.jpg

That's a great idea :techie-eureka: , BUT not as much FUN as trying to hold them in with 2 butter knives. :canada: :laughing-rofl:
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

:ROTF: Gregg...thanks for that. Happy New Year. :happy-jumpeveryone:

mikemc53

Well let me thank everyone here for the help. I finally got to close it out, yesterday.

Of course, had I been smarter to start with this whole ordeal would have gone a lot smoother. When I originally disassembled the starter I didn't take the top end off (the retaining nut, spring and gear), I just removed the two long screws and pulled the cover and whole top end off. So, when I wanted to put it together again...no dice. It's almost impossible to reassemble with the cover (w/magnets) over the armature. Once I took apart the top end the rest was not so bad.

I fiddle around with motorcycles and cars and often go to forums for help but this is by far the most helpful and informative forum I have been involved with. My neighbor came by when I was working on the Horse and asked me why I don't just buy new tractors and not have to deal with the repair. He doesn't know what he's missing. Truth be told, I have purchased new many times but none of them could hold a candle to the 2 Wheel Horses that I have. Hard to explain but they are just what a small tractor is supposed to be.

Thanks again.

• Like 2

hm12460

You can remove the starter and clean the shaft the Bendix rides on, I don't use oil, but a dry graphite to lube the shaft, when you have the starter out check for play in the shaft it should not move side to side at all, or very little, if it does the bushing is worn, but you probaly got snow on the shaft and it is sticking, in a pinch you can spray WD-40 on the shaft in the tractor and try it, but I'm sure pulling and cleaning is needed.

Yup, what Kelly said. I lube mine up 1-2 times a year, whenever I think of it.

woodbird007

Thanks to all involved with this thread. Great stuff to know and pics sure help. Have worked on the old Delco-Remy SG but have not tackled a Bendix style yet. I gues I better get some graphite on mine.

boss

Starter bendix sticking. Kohler service bulletin 153 issued 8/82. Electric starter drive grease part #52 357 01-S for starter splines. Works well & usually last for several years.

• Like 1

tunahead72

Starter bendix sticking. Kohler service bulletin 153 issued 8/82. Electric starter drive grease part #52 357 01-S for starter splines. Works well & usually last for several years.

Anybody have a copy of this bulletin they'd be willing to share?