Sign in to follow this  
Kevbo

Custom exhaust?

Kevbo

So if you could put a new exhaust on this C-81, what would you change and how?

8D37C63E-2B76-4D3D-A2F4-CF741A3111DC-2129-000003260CE5951D.jpg

glgrumpy

Loosen up some of pipe fittings to retighten OR buy new and have point UP! add a pipe or small tractor muffler for Stack! Add flapper! Or, if NOT, loose the same fittings or buy new and tighten to point down and at slight front angle, but closer to engine and add same or new muffer down lower. Yours looks like someone just added a length at top to move out from hood. Stock is kinda partly under hood, but pointing down (forward) at angle. DON'T try to overtighten these old fittings, you may break he cylinder casting. Hold the part comeing just outside of engine port with one pipe wrench and loosen the coupler and rest with another pipe. Use new parts to best select the angle and keep it tight.

• Like 1

Ken B

It looks like a nice tractor, I'd ditch what you have and try too find a nice factory muffler for it. I do like custom exhaust pipes but I think the factory setup would look best on yours.

• Like 2

Jake Kuhn

I would put a cub muffler on it from tsc. They aren't too loud and I like the look of them ~Jake

102_0480.JPG

TT

Ray's Mower Shop in Boyertown, PA has newer B-80 mufflers on eBay. I believe the biggest difference is the lack of the support tab mount.

Search for item # 230895768251 if you're interested.

wallfish

Anything but one of those "pepper shaker" mufflers. I can't stand the ringy pingy loud noise they make.

JackC

I prefer the factory look on mine. I also like the horizontal side mount mufflers below the hood line like the ones on the later 400/500 series.

BOWTIE

THIS IS WHAT I HAVE ON MY 75 B80 IT IS SIMPLE AND DOES NOT BURN THE PAINT. THIS MUFFLER IS GOOD FOR 8 HP OR LESS.

BOWTIE IN OHIO

post-4576-0-55460500-1356654016_thumb.jp

post-4576-0-93073700-1356654038_thumb.jp

Kelly

I like how quite the factory mufflers are, and don't look bad, but stacks if done right are nice.

I might have a factory muffler send me a PM if you want to go that way.

Ken B

Here is another idea. This is the muffler setup I put on a Charger 12 I restored a few yrs. ago. I never smelled when I got off this tractor. The muffler was off a Cub Cadet 122. I agree with Kelly, a stack setup can look good if done right, most times they aren't though.

55hp591.jpg

• Like 6

JackC

The horizontal muffler gives the tractor a nice clean look where you can see the hood and decals without interruptions. Nice hub caps too.

Kevbo

Nice! Great ideas guys! The pics are very helpful! I'm still torn between factory stock or stack...hmmm...what other pipes are needed besides the muffler for factory stock? Sizes? And if I would do a stack...where can I get one and how exactly wouldn't arrange the pipe fitting?

Jake Kuhn

if you want some pics of the stack mount on my b80 I can get you some tomorrow?

Kelly

Stock you only need a pipe nipple sticking out of the block to put the muffler on, a stack, it might be best to remove the stuff you hsve and vist a hardware store and buy some new pipe fittings to build a stack, TSC carries the muffler and the fittings but they are not the cheapest for the fittings.

Kevbo

Thanks! Hey Jake I'd be interested in those pics =)

Buckshot 1

:) I prefer the factory look. I am not much into all those pipe fittings hanging on an engine. If going the stack route, I would ad a brace to keep from breaking out the exhaust port. Just my 2 cents. :flags-usa:

tunahead72

Here's some other ideas for you, Kevin:

specialwheelhorse

And forevermore stay away from those 90 degree pipe fittings. Use a nice long sweep

fitting if you have too. Each tight 90 degree fitting robs a certain percentage of engine power.

It seems if I remember right about 5%.

can whlvr

i like the looks and sound of a stack,but not if you have trees to work around,i had one and tore it off on a tree branch,broke the elbow luckly,could have broken the block and i had a very solid brace on it

artfull dodger

I second staying with the factory set up. Stacks are nice, but love to find tree branches, easy burn hazzard if you have little ones around. Heck I have almost grabbed my stack when I stumbled getting of a tractor one time, thankfully I didnt as it was red hot from plowing a field during a plow day event. A good solid factory muffler is best. The little "pepper pot" are good for 8hp and under, but above that they sound tinny and loud. I like the mufflers used on the later 300 series like my 310-8 I used to have. Lays horizontal with a nice forward facing turn out. Should work on most Kohlers with very little adaptation. Keep an eye on ebay for good deal on muffs. Mike

WheelHorse_of_course

So any comments specifically about mufflers on Diesels? I know Diesel engines make more noise, but suspect the exhaust is not any louder.

Stacks are always tempting, and would be consistent with the "industrial" diesel concept, but I am not sure. I have not seen the deisel up close yet, but one thing I do know is I'll need muffler for it.

Thanks B) :thumbs2:

47JDG

If you do a stack or something substantial be sure to add support so that exhaust assembly is supported. It puts an awful lot of stress on that exhaust port otherwise. There is a guy on youtube who has some pretty cool Allis Chalmer / Simplicity garden tractors that he has customized himself. Not a Wheel Horse but all the same rules apply..Check him out here...good info

Cvans

So any comments specifically about mufflers on Diesels

On my single cylinder Lister diesels I run a vertical strait pipe. On the multi-cylinders I either fabricate my own mufflers or use the ones that came with the engines. The ones that are fabricated I use auger tubing for the shell.

I like the sound the thumpers make when working in the garden. These lower RPM diesel singles don't bark and each power pulse is more like a thump.

Tankman

My grandsons prefer the vertical stack, like I had on my Mack. :)

My '68 Raider 12 has a SS vertical stack. No flapper, just straight up.

WheelHorse_of_course

My grandsons prefer the vertical stack, like I had on my Mack. :)

My '68 Raider 12 has a SS vertical stack. No flapper, just straight up.

Awwwww, no flapper no fun! I love the Simpsons episode where Janitor Willy's tractor talks to Bart.

:* :thumbs2: