Driver

WH T 523dxi or 522xi

Driver

I m looking for a new WH.

Have seen a 523dxi and 522xi both app. 500 hours and year 2000.

Wich one should I choose?

Any + or - ?

Sparky

You do know the 523DXI is a diesel machine right? I dont know much about the diesel or who made it for TORO so I would be investigating that first to be sure there is still good support (parts/service) for that motor.

Mike..........

Kelly

I agree with Mike, but I think I've heard the diesel is a real good engine, just not sure on support for it.

wh5208speed

I would go with the 523Xi everytime. That diesel is made by Briggs & Stratton/Daihatsu. These engines were also used in Massy Ferguson and Simplicity Legacy tractors with a very good reputation. The best thing about these little diesels is they are excellent in fuel efficiency....I mean crazy good. I have a 3 cylinder Yanmar that uses less than 1/2 the fuel as the 20hp Onan on a 520. The 522Xi is a great machine too. It came with a V-twin Kohler Command. Both 523Xi and the 522Xi have power steering. If the price was even close, I would go with the diesel. Thad (Ohio)

• Like 2

Forest Road

I have a 522xi FEL with about 1000 hours.its solid to say the least! The PO traded it in because it had gotten slow and sloppy. I spent a few hours tightening all the linkage for the speed ctrl and steering. Its like a new machine! Unless you're a diesel mechanic ixwould contact your local dealer and get their two cents. No doubt the diesel should be much better on fuel. The Kohler doesn't hurt for power with a n extra 800 -1000lbsrevolution strapped to it, loader, weight box, and driver. Either way The xi series are awesome machines! Its really a shame they were discontinued.

I really dislike the auto correct/insert on my smartphone!!!

• Like 1

leeave96

I would be inclined to go with the diesel. The Command engines have a great reputation for reliability, but I've got one on a simplicity Sovereign and working on it is a PIA to say the least. I would say the Diesel would also be a pain to work-on, however, I should think that the diesel would last nearly as long as the tranny in the tractor. Either gas or diesel would make for a fine tractor.

My vote is buy both... :)

Good luck,

Bill

• Like 1

Jim_M

I have a 520xi and I love it, but I would trade it plus some cash for a 523dxi. The diesel will use half the fuel and last twice as long.

• Like 1

Driver

Are the FE Loader still avaible for theese models from Toro?

Jim_M

They're not real common but they're still out there. There was a dealer near me that one new in the crate last year but it was way overpriced.

• Like 1

Jim_M

They still list them on the Toro website. http://www.toro.com/home/tractors/5xi/attach_bucket.html

• Like 1

wh500special

I have both a 522xi and a 523Dxi. Even though my diesel presently has injection pump problems, I'd still choose it over the air cooled gas tractor. Fuel economy is better and the engine has more power than the 1hp difference would suggest. The biggest mower I have is a 52-inch and the diesel doesn't even know it's there.

These daihatsu diesel engines are supposed to be quite reliable. I will say that at least in my part of the United States that finding a shop that specializes in them is difficult. They were used quite extensively here in the US in equipment other than Wheel Horses. Toro used them in some commercial mowers, simplicity used them in their Legacy XL tractor, Exmark used 'em, Cub Cadet...I've watched eBay for them and they do show up being parted out from time to time, but certainly not any more regularly than a Yanmar or Kubota.

I say it over and over again and it looks like other guys agree too: The 5xi's were the best tractor to bear the Wheel Horse name. They are very comfortable to operate and are incredibly durable machines. It's a shame they didn't catch on.

It's not obvious from photographs, but they are actually quite easy to work on. Sure, the engine is enclosed in sheetmetal but the hood opens wide and the side panels remove without tools. There is a removable access panel on the transmission "hump" and the air intake screens under the steering wheel and on each side remove quickly with a couple of Torx screws. The entire seat and fender assembly is quickly removable too in case you need to access something in the transmission or fuel tank. You can tell these things were designed with solid modeling software. The only frustrating issue I have encountered so far has been on my 522; I needed to access the ignition modules on the engine and that required removing the engine from the tractor. Not a big deal, but certainly not as easy of a job as it would be on a classic C160.

You're in Sweden, so this may not apply to you. Implement/attachment availability isn't as great on the used market as for the older types of tractors. So if the seller of either machine has optionally available equipment that you may need in the future, you should consider that as part of your purchase too.

I'd go with the diesel. But the gas tractor is a fine machine too.

Buy 'em both.

Steve

• Like 6

Bow_Extreme

If you can find a 523dxi I would latch onto it. I don't know that I've ever seen one for sale in or around Michigan. I wouldn't mind owning one if I could find one at a reasonable price and a reasonable drive.

• Like 1

Driver

Will my equipment from 520h, like deck, plow, grader, dozer fit 522/523 ?

wh5208speed

Your "classic" series attachments will not work on the 5Xi series. Most the attachments are very similar in design....but the 5Xi uses two lift arms instead of the classic's single lift arm. I'm sure someone could modify the attachments.....but it would take modification to make them work. Thad (Ohio) line

Will my equipment from 520h, like deck, plow, grader, dozer fit 522/523 ?

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

This thread has been stagnant for awhile but rather than start a new one, I'd like to ask a couple of questions about the xi series in general.  They have been out in the workforce for over 15 years, do they have an common fail points.  Many garden tractors that have been used over and over again began to show a common fail point or two.  Sometimes we call it faulty design, other times, they way an owner treats it, etc. I would really like to get an xi series but I want to make sure that I know what I'm getting into before I would buy.  How durable is the transaxle? How do the electrics hold up?  My choice would be the mighty 523D first, followed by the 520L and the air cooled models rounding out my list.  I have to find the right deal first of course but I just wanted to ask some honest questions first! 
Thanks

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

I have read alot about them, and I think you would be hard pressed to find a huge "common" failure. They have a unidrive axle with Eaton 1100, which is the same setup thats been bulletproof in every hydro horse since the early 80's. They just added a high/low gear and mounted it inline (so there are a few extra gears). I think the V-twins have pretty good reputations, the exception being the early kawi's in the LXI's having a plastic cam gear that may have been prone to failure (I think this may affect the 1998 ones only). There is a steel replacement available, but a decent amount of labor is involved replacing it.

There are a little higher maintenance costs JUST from the extra complexity of the units, all the models you mention having power steering and the 523dxi having the three cyl diesel. I havent heard of any common electrical issues, but if you do have them there are a few more wires to trace out.

I think the biggest issue with them right now is (depending on your area apparently) that they are hard to find and the accessories can command higher prices because they are more rare and newer.

If I didn't have a good selection of classic attachments already I would own one for sure. I just cant afford to replace all my attachments unless I sell all my classic attachmatic tractors, which I cant do!

• Like 4

shallowwatersailor

I have three (1998 518xi, 2000 520xi, and a 1998 523Dxi) and I am happy with all of them. Don't let the lack of power steering be an issue with the 518xi and 520xi. They have a cross between the 520-H steering reduction and regular steering. I pull my Cyclone Rake with the 518 (13' total length!) without a steering issue. Other than the base 518, they have cruise control as well. Because of this Toro equipped them with a mechanical system to automatically lower the speed (7.2 mph in Hi) when turning. You could be potentially thrown off the tractor otherwise! The power steering is a hydraulic system done without a mechanical link so more parts. Not to say I don't like it on the diesel though. It is nice steering with just using the spinner while clearing snow.

The tractor portion is virtually bulletproof with normal use. In that regard it is just like a classic Wheel Horse. The Eaton 11 is improved with a Hi-Lo range along with a neutral position handy for pushing it around or even towing. If pushing, it does weigh approximately 1100 pounds bare (add the deck of about 200-300 pounds depending what size) but I can do it. The step-though platform is nice for getting on or off. The attachments go on the same way as a Wheel Horse, some even easier.

The engines are what differentiate between the models. Brandon already mentioned the Kawasaki-engined 520Lxi. I don't have one so won't comment. With the three Kohler engined models, I feel the Kohler Command has less issues than an Onan, but more than a Kohler K-series. I would say that these are the most common and readily available. Also easiest to own. With technology improvements comes more technical/fit issues. Kohler recommends that the engine shrouds be removed every 100 hours. The problem is that the engine needs to be pulled from the tractor to gain access. It is four bolts for the engine, two bolts for the driveshaft, electrical connections, and throttle and choke cables. But the  engine needs to be pulled vertically because of the oil drain spigot. Most owners don't know this maintenance requirement until they start questioning the oil temperature gauge rising.This is more an engine issue than tractor problem.

That said though, the diesel has become my favorite. I bought it with 605 hours and have used it for approximately 20 hours removing snow. I was in the midst of changing over to mow with when I was laid up with a broken ankle. At this point in the season, I'll just put the Winter equipment on again. The diesel does have the potential for being the most expensive to repair if the engine develops any issue. The injector pump, for example, is rather pricey! It does have a water/fuel separator so with normal startup procedures, it should not be an issue. I garage mine in an unheated attached garage but never failed to start last winter. 

Attachments are out there. They seem to be more readily available today than when I got my first five years ago as these tractors age. Toro also produced a clone tractor for New Holland (black attachments) so they are another source. Good luck in your search!DSCN2877.thumb.JPG.7331504ef8480af363e03

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 9

Forest Road

I have a 522xi with a Kwik way loader. When I made the purchase it was offered with a snow cab, worn out 2 stage snow chucker, mower deck, a pile of metal which mildly resembled a snow plow. With 1100 hours I assumed it had been used and abused. Guess what it still works fine!!!!

I bought it with the loader and left all the other scrap metal. It's required a few sessions with a wrench. But all in all its been a back saver.

If there's a common fail I'm not aware of it. Personally without having any experience with the diesel Id stick with a Kohler twin. They're proven to be very dependable. The Lxi had some issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

Thanks guys so much for the great info.  These tractors do sound really impressive!  Its almost hard to believe that they were built in the last 13-17 years given the way that quality has went in the toilet especially with the "Made in China" en masse!  So, here is a question for those of you who have been intently following WH GT's for the last 20 or more years--Why didn't the 5xi series do better in the marketplace?  And I'm speaking about all those "commercial guys" with their trailers and their x series green and yellow machines!  My first thought when I saw a 5xi was, "Boy that looks similar to an x495.  Tonight while I was looking on tractordata.com, I realized that the x495 didn't come out until '03 and that the true statement would be, "It looks like a WH 5xi!"  Was it the network not being as great?  Was it not enough promotion so that not enough people were acquainted with it?  I know you guys may not have the answer but I'm just wondering out loud.  I hate the fact that if you want a tough current GT, there are only a couple of brands left making them.  Everything else is what I like to call, "Throw away tractors".  It is just too bad that Toro wouldn't have continued to stay in that fight!  I'm glad that I thrive on older "beastly" tractors and I'm furthermore glad that the 5xi series were built.  I just need to find the right fit and I'll own one!

Another question or two--is there a Cat-0 hitch available for these?  If not, can these accept a clevis hitch like my 314-8?  

DougL3

Don't know about a 3PH, but Wheelhorseman1000 makes a clevis hitch set up...

Xi Hitch Kit

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

My thoughts are that Toro didn't take the development of the 5xi further because of the way the market was moving. The SCUT market was still a small niche and the ZTR market was just taking off when the 5xi was introduced. Wheel Horse even sold two 1st-Generation ZTR mowers before being bought by Toro. The pricing was high by today's standards for "just" a tractor. It was sold on the International Market as I always enjoy seeing the European 5xi with "hard" tractor cabs and being licensed to travel on the road. I believe the 523Dxi was developed more for Europe than the USA. I do enjoy the way that the 523Dxi sips diesel compared to the Kohler Command Twin appetite for (my choice) premium. But the SCUT and ZTR markets have basically replaced the need for a good GT. A second generation 5xi may have seen additional hydraulics and a 4WD option.

There isn't a Category "0" hitch available, although one RS member did fabricate one for his tractor. Lowell used a clevis hitch that I previously had on my 523Dxi, to use as a model to fabricate an improved 5xi clevis hitch that DougL3 mentioned. Last year I installed a Johnny Bucket Universal Sleeve Hitch on the diesel which allows me to use two attachments at the same time. Having only one hydraulic attachment system is another shortcoming.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/51761-new-sleeve-hitch-on-523dxi/#comment-476535

I personally wouldn't buy a new GT if I needed to today. JD is more hype and plastic, and Simplicity has questionable engines. I would try to find a used (or two) 5xi. That said, today's Kubota BX1870 is what the 5xi should have become but even then most consumers move up to the next model of a BX2370. Try to buy a used 5xi-era Kubota 4WD B6100D/HST or a Kubota BX1500 and they are, most of the time, sold before you call. I know, because I have tried a few times. But I have tried a few times with the 523Dxi before finally getting lucky as well.

• Like 3

bmsgaffer

I think in addition to the SCUT and zero turns taking a larger share of the market, the toro name just didnt carry the same weight as "deere" or "kubota" with consumers. Sure they have a great line of commercial equipment, but the general purchasing public didnt know that. I would bet that a large share of their customers had already owned a wheel horse and knew what kind of quality and durability they carried (as evidence by them selling the 300 "classic" series up to the bitter end). If you had never owned one, you would probably lean more towards the more popular offerings. After a while, the Wheel Horse loyals couldnt carry the profitability of the brand and marketing just wasnt converting the green, orange, and yellow public.

I think the farm tractor image that popped into everyone's head when they thought of deeres and kubotas played a HUGE role in their success and continuation (deere especially). No matter the quality of the machine they represented.

I think that if Toro could have kept up with the heavy duty technology that others had or even been a bit more innovative they would have had a leg up (3 point, diff lock, 4WD, hydraulic ports front and/or rear, etc).

I think that maybe more than $0.02 worth, but there is my opinion on the matter!

Edited by bmsgaffer
  • Like 4

PeacemakerJack
:text-goodpost:Denny,
This is fascinating!  Can you tell us any more about the development of this awesome series of tractors? Were there any specific challenges that you recall all these years later.  Are there any things that you guys were contemplating that you wish could've made it to the final product?  My hat is off to you and the other men working on that project.  I'm so glad that you sent the Wheel Horse name into retirement with such a great machine.  I'm amazed at all the positive responses to these tractors--a testament to how well they were designed and built.  I love this site for all the neat people on here and the great info they share.  Then along comes a post like your last one and I'm amazed!  Thank you for sharing.  I'm eagerly awaiting more inside info on the design and development of this great series...
  • Like 2

shallowwatersailor
I worked on the 5xi project for 3 years. The average person doesn't realize how many man hours and money go into the development of some products. They see the end result and judge it from there. Another person helped me on the 5xi build. I think the demise of the 5xi was the price. If you could afford over $10,000.00 for a garden tractor with a deck you would probably hire someone to mow your yard. There were 4 wheel drives out there that were better at the use of attachments.
There were about 7 designers, a head engineer in charge of the project, an engineer working on the power for the tractor, an engineer from Wheel Horse was brought out of retirement to design the transmission, and the 2 of us building the prototypes - all who were dedicated to the project for the 3 years. There were 2 people from test dept, an electrical engineer, the toro stylist designing the look of the tractor, someone doing the finitite analysis insuring it was structurally sound and the marketing team that was driving the build of the 5xi.
The cost of development along with the costs for production - Tooling for all the stamped steel and plastic parts and setting up the lines for production were a lot to recover.
A differential lock was designed but never made it even into the prototype.

Thanks for the insight on my favorite tractor! You all did a fantastic job. Thank goodness that there were consumers with money that did continue to mow their own lawn and purchased these tractors.

• Like 4