Driver

WH T 523dxi or 522xi

PeacemakerJack

I'm am amazed at how heavy this tractor is built!!! I am doing a full service maintenance to it and while doing so, I am looking for anything that could be a potential problem now or in the future.  I am also recording any wear parts I see that will need replacement in the future.  This way I can purchase those parts and have them on hand...

Yesterday...

image.thumb.jpg.40d1e7a95f49b34ae6883337

This afternoon...

image.thumb.jpg.06a4d1f1fb22abb66254e5f6

For those of you who haven't seen one of the 5xi series "naked".  Look at the size of those frame rails.  I've restored a 420 JD for a buddy a few years back and the rear frame on it was heavy but not as heavy as this thing!  I don't know if Denny is still following this thread, but if he is, I'd like him to explain how they came up with this power steering format!  It is a totally different design then I've seen on any other tractor!

So far I've:
--changed the oil and filter
--changed the headlights to LED
--changed the tranny oil and filter
--degreased/cleaned all the rear end components and linkage
--changed the fuel filter
--adjusted the foot control to neutral
--greased and  lubed all critical points

Still got more to do before I place it into regular service but I'll feel better knowing that all these things are fresh and ready to go!

• Like 4

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Jack, a tip. On the power steering line there is a small metal screen. On my 522 when I did the fluids I was tipped. Somewhere I posted pics of the gunk that was on that screen. Not sure 100 percent if it applies to yours. But am guessing it does. I believe john, shallowatersailor gave me the heads up. Point being all the hydraulics run through there, less gunk, better flow. Its pretty simple to get done. Check it if you can. Your going this far, job well done. Heavy beast arent they, and yes sir, the frame is BIG. When John sees this he will sound off. Hope I am not leading you off track on this with your machine.

Glenn

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

Glenn,
thanks for the tip!  I'll be sure to do that and to post some pics here of the process for future members to study over.

Jack

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Jack, thanks for the photo stripped down. There are only two hidden wear items that I am aware of. One is the the tie rods. I had a conversation with Steve (wh500special) one time about breaking and the replacements are a bit larger. My 2000 520xi has these. The other item is the Pin-Pivot (94-2205-03) cracking the weld. Unfortunately there is no easy way to check this with out taking the front axle off.

Make sure that you check out the electrical items (I'm not aware of any issues though) behind the dash as it is pretty cramped in there due to the radiator. The Kohler versions are a lot more accessible. The fuse block cover that Glenn Pettit sells fits very nicely over the fuses for a bit more protection. The 5xi doesn't seem to have the same corrosion issue as the 520-H as it is mounted vertically.

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Jack. Here are a couple puctures I found when I got into that power steering piece with the screen. Note the crud. Also I think challanger another xi owner tipped me also. Its worth it to clean. Will be interesting as to what you find.

glenn

20140512_191124.jpg

20140512_191221.jpg

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

Had a crazy busy weekend helping a buddy get his CubCadet 782 put back together but I'm finally getting back on my D!  Thanks for the heads up on the screen...
image.thumb.jpg.d90070856422d0d778aca17e
pretty nasty.  Maybe never cleaned???

image.thumb.jpg.538e17bfb5ea7042004888e7

Now it's clean!  I also decided to change the fuel filter too having no clue how long that has been.

image.thumb.jpg.084e9616d5b3414b5d1cc9ce

Next up--see if I can figure out why the fuel gauge needle jumps all over the place?!?  Do you guys have any recommendation on a spray lube that I can use on the linkage parts for the speed control system?  I know that I need to grease the zerks and I have done that.  I'm hesitant to use an oil product because it will attract dirt and everything else airborne.  I'm also concerned about leaving those contact points completely "dry" though...

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

graphite?

PeacemakerJack

I ended up using a Teflon dry lube on all the linkage that didn't already have zerks.  It works really well right now.  We will see how it holds up over time...

Have you ever had a time on one of your tractors, whether new or old, where something didn't seem right and you feared the worst?  Maybe it is a noise, a strange vibration, or something isn't operating like it should.  So, you dive neck deep into trouble shooting only to find out it is something simple!  That is such a relief because it makes up for the times when there is a major parts breakage!  

Such is is the case with my D!  Ever since I bought it, it made a distinct pinging sound at idle.  The more I heard it, the more worried I became that it was something major.  It was very metallic sounding and came from the flywheel side of the motor.  I finally took it to a mechanic friend of mine.  He listened to it for about 30 seconds and said that it sounded like something loose externally.  I went home pulled off the covers and began to study every nut, bolt, and connection from the PTO back.  I didn't get too far before I noticed that the heact bracket which holds the muffler to front of the engine via a frame tab was missing both bolts! The bracket moved very little but enough at idle and just above to create tha very annoying "pinging" sound!  Two bolts and it is gone and I'm happy.

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

Unfortunately winter is here! We haven't seen our first measurable snow fall in eastern central WI but it will be soon I'm sure.  Last Saturday my dad and friend came over and helped me set the D up for snow removal duties...

image.thumb.jpg.0a748c06aa6a4f80a20afeb7

what a heavy duty beast!  I'm looking forward to seeing how this will handle snow.  

Now for the question--what kinds of cabs are available for the xi tractors? Did anyone make a complete hard cab for these models?

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Jack, I bet it beats your expectations re handing of snow. Will be anxious to hear your thoughts. Re hard cabs. I personally am not aware of any. Lets see what others say. As I understand the vinyl / plastic one can be had with some searching. I was turned on to a number of an old dealer that could get one a few months back. It was about a grand shipped. I myself could not part with that coin for plastic. This year, you can follow my posts as I regret that mistake once again. But damit, I can get a whole tractor for a g note. Lol

Glenn

• Like 1

WHX??

You could try Original Tractor Cab Jack

http://www.originalcab.com/

Get ready for a little sticker shock tho

Snowmobileaddict

Someone built hard cabs for the 5xi machines in Europe.  This photo is from a German Implement dealer

toro_523_dxi_pflege_traktor.jpg

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
1 hour ago, Snowmobileaddict said:

Someone built hard cabs for the 5xi machines in Europe.  This photo is from a German Implement dealer

toro_523_dxi_pflege_traktor.jpg

Now there is something I could go for. Very cool indeed. Thats a cab.

Glenn

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

post-3066-0-98224200-1400326929.jpeg

I took that picture from a cab found by john, shallowatersailor.  Man o man, we have to find that bad A$$ cab. Is that sweet or what? I think John found it by googling in Europe.  That cab is the cats meow.

Glenn

• Like 4

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I have been on google, I cant find anything on that German companys cab. I hope one of you guys has an idea. Why cant something like that be built here.

Glenn

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn

Challenger

Hello,

PM sent.

shallowwatersailor

Success on finding the manufacturer of the nice cab! There isn't a listing for the 5xi but it could be that the 5xi is not current. Here is the cab on a Kubota GR. See, Jack?  I wonder what shipping would be?  :ychain:

http://www.agrital.com/index.htm

565e338615fec_KUBOTAGR007.jpg.2ab3562231

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack
4 hours ago, shallowwatersailor said:

Success on finding the manufacturer of the nice cab! There isn't a listing for the 5xi but it could be that the 5xi is not current. Here is the cab on a Kubota GR. See, Jack?  I wonder what shipping would be?  

http://www.agrital.com/index.htm

565e338615fec_KUBOTAGR007.jpg.2ab3562231

This has been some really informative stuff!  The cab on that 5xi above is exactly what I was thinking of or visualizing. However, this cab here holds some interesting possibilities. I wonder how much work it would take to fab it to an xi? I wonder if one of the green machines like a 425 or an x series would be close enough to fab a cab from them...just thinking out loud.

Snowmobileaddict

I always thought a JD 425-455 hard cab wouldn't be too much trouble to make fit a 5xi.  At least they look to be about the same shape.  No idea on dimensions though

$_1.JPG

1w414h291_johndeere-425445455cozycab-203

Dennys502

Yes Jack I get notices and check occasionally. The power steering configuration is similar to what is used on the commercial line such as greensmowers. Easier to stay with something proven.

PeacemakerJack
On 12/3/2015, 9:00:16, Snowmobileaddict said:

I always thought a JD 425-455 hard cab wouldn't be too much trouble to make fit a 5xi.  At least they look to be about the same shape.  No idea on dimensions though

$_1.JPG

1w414h291_johndeere-425445455cozycab-203

Man, if I could find a used green cab like that for a good price, I'll try to make it work. It sure looks like it would work!!! What do you fabricators think?