Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

Anyone made their own front bucket?

nylyon

While looking through the Northern Tool catalog, I saw that they had a front bucket for an ATV pretty inexpensive. Then I got to thinking, has anyone made their own front bucket (Johnny Bucket style) and if so what did you use? I thought that making a frame for the front hitch, but then I was thinking if a plow frame was used, it would probably be easier?

Not that I could make one myself (have the welding talent, but no welder) so thought I'd see anyone's inventions.

Juggler

Not that I could make one myself (have the welding talent, but no welder) so thought I'd see anyone's inventions.

Man, you and I would make a heck of a team! I have two welders, and can't weld! Serious! :D

Nick

I built one few years ago from scrap and a little new steel I had around. Wasnt to bad building it just had to get the lift hight and balance right so it would dump. Without a helper spring on a manual lift I could lift around 150 to maybe 200. They work nice for loose material like gravel or mulch. It could do more but I think it would put a lot of stress on the front hitch. Few pictures below.

Should add I use a real nice wire welder but dont say I can weld like a pro. :D

Nick in Ohio

scoop005.jpg

scoop003.jpg

scoop1-1.jpg

nylyon

Yeah, that's it. When you were building it did you consider using a plow frame and hooking to the rear axle?

Nick

Actually I did that first. A plow frame alone wont give the lift needed for the bucket to dump. I ran mounts up to the mid hitch or front hitch then cut it off at the front axle. Also put a pivot on the front for the bucket. To get lift I put a pivot arm in the middle that was lifted by the attachment lift then pushed forward to the bucket. Sounds a bit Rube Goldberg but it worked. Changed it to front mounting then it worked bettter and was easy to get on and off. Didnt find a good picture of the modified plow frame, just this one.

Nick

scoop1054.jpg

nylyon

Thought that lift my have been an issue with the rear mount. Hey, that you on that tractor? Funny, pictured ya a tad bit older :D

kpinnc

There's a WH tractor set up like that on Ebay right now. The bucket is using what looks to be a modified "A" frame from a dozer blade. It's a newer listing.

Kevin

nylyon

I don't know how I missed that. Pretty clever using the angle lever to tip the bucket also looks like it gives it additional clearance.

T-Mo

Nick,

Nice looking bucket you got there. I like it a lot.

I'm also not a welder, but I would love to give it a try someday. I'll leave it at that. But I love seeing work like this and I get envious, almost jealous of guys like you and your talent. Good job.

Rollerman

I have an weird plow frame that didn't have the angle on it.

I've thought about mounting my bucket to the front that way also....it be much easier to self load.

I'm not a welder though...well I have a Century wire welder...I don't know if I'm a bad welder or it's a bad welder?...or both :D

Stephen in northern IN...who backs up his welds with crazy glue & a prayer

Buzz

Last time I tried to weld, the company's welder took one look and said "it looks like your chicken had diarrhea.........." <_

WheelHorse_of_course

I picked up a very small bucket designed for a older Cub Cadet from a guy on Ebay. This was the prototype for a larger bucket he made.

It would look very nice on the 854 but I will probably use it on the Charger since it is hydro and also it has a front hitch.

I did some experimenting this summer and determine the following:

Using the front hitch (which the JB ues) seems doable, but I will have to grind donw the bucket stop on the bucket. As it is the bucket is tipped downward and it simply digs up an submarines under the tractor. I nearly flipped it twice. I am very glad the seat on the 854 (which I was using for test purposes) has no back or I might have been hurt or flipped it.

My lift mechanism was to use a snow blower flag and a piece of pipe snow blower style. This will give a workout without a helper spring (as does the blower) but appears to work. I will probably add a helper spring to the Charger next year (this year I have to get the new engine installed and get the blower set up for the first time, so I doubt it will happen this winter).

Due to the first problem, I bent the pipe and also the bracket it pushes on, but that is ok. Once I get the angle changed I will do more testing and will beaf them both up.

I *may* need some sort of chains to the frame to prevent the submarine problem. I would like to know how this is handled by JB and other buckets. Is it simple not required once the bucket is angled properly.