Sign in to follow this  
Wheelhorse84

Too much weight

Wheelhorse84

I was just wondering if it would be too much weight if I put two 50lb pound cast weights on each wheel one on the inside and one on the outside. Would it do any damage to the transaxle is it not good for the tractor. Just curious

Sparky

Theres no issues with loading the rims in my opinion Steve, it doesn't load the axle or the axle bearings and seals. I've never seen a 50 pounder that would fit inside the rim tho. I have 50#'s on the outside and 25#'s on the inside of my rims.

post-2-0-05406700-1356315109_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-19793800-1356315131_thumb.jpg

Mike........

• Like 4

Wheelhorse84

Thanks mike

3609horse

Theres no issues with loading the rims in my opinion Steve, it doesn't load the axle or the axle bearings and seals. I've never seen a 50 pounder that would fit inside the rim tho. I have 50#'s on the outside and 25#'s on the inside of my rims.

post-2-0-05406700-1356315109_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-19793800-1356315131_thumb.jpg

Mike........

Nice tires on your tractor, how are they in the snow?

Sparky

Not sure yet, bought them this spring and they haven't seen snow yet. Hopefully this week we might get some according to the weather man.

Mike.........

Duff

Those look a lot like the SnoHog tires I have on my Ariens walk behind, and that danged thing will pull me across the yard without weights or chains!

Duff :thumbs:

Tim

i have 50 lbs on each wheel and another 150 hanging off the back

plus my 240ish

works well

i think i'm adding front weight too just not sure if it will be tombstone, cast weights for front rim or the front weight accessory

post-2536-0-00865600-1356383514_thumb.jp

post-2536-0-37404600-1356383773_thumb.jp

post-2536-0-87766900-1356383860_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Tankman

Tim:

Excellent lookin' setup. You're ready for winter fo' sure! :woohoo:

C-85

I'm not sure how much is too much, but this is what I've done on my C-85. This is no doubt overloaded, but I'll tell you it is nearly like a bull dozer now. My journey started out with adding a Reese hitch to the back and then a weight box. That worked good but then the front end was a little light, so I added the front wheel weights, but it was still light, then I made the front weight carrier. It never steered very well in snow, so I put on the soft snow hog tires on it, and now it steers a lot better. I have v-bar chains on the back. Now it is very good and I think this gets as much traction as it can and I'm really happy with it. I wish there was a locking rear end that really worked, I think that is the only thing that could make this any better. ! :):) :)

:flags-usa:

C-85

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff403/c85c85/Feb2012_3Small_zpsf5ffa64e.jpg

Hope this link works, I tried to download a file and I guess my picture was too big.

Tim

holy SH**

post-2536-0-65676700-1356819403.jpg

WheelHorseSteve

I run 65 lbs on the inside of each wheel:

hitch.jpg

Have considered adding the WH outside weights... But haven't run into a situation where I've felt I've needed it...

• Like 1

Butch

Not sure yet, bought them this spring and they haven't seen snow yet. Hopefully this week we might get some according to the weather man.

Mike.........

Gonna use them without chains?

Sparky

Mike.........

Gonna use them without chains?

Yep, I dont like the marks chains leave on the driveway. I used them today and they were great.

Mike.........

Hydro

Hey Mike, how are those tires working our for you?

Hydro

hitch.jpg

Have considered adding the WH outside weights... But haven't run into a situation where I've felt I've needed it...

I am curious, what are those inside weights from?

JC 1965

Mike.........

What size are those tires ? And what kind are they > They look good !! :thumbs2:

Sparky

They are Carlisle ALL-TRAIL 23x10.5x12. I mounted them on a pair of wide rims off a GT-1848 I stripped so the tread stayed flat and didn't balloon out. I've used them in the snow now and am happy to report that they are great! I keep the air pressure low so they stay a bit more "squishy" which I think helps with traction.

Mike..........

WheelHorseSteve

hitch.jpg

I am curious, what are those inside weights from?

Not sure what brand... but they come and go on eBay from time to time. I managed to get two sets... one permanently mounted on the Ags on the C-120 and one on the chained 8.5 turfs on the C-160. The weights just BARELY fit around the hub... in fact, I had to do a little cleanup with the grinder to smooth out the casting imperfections so they would fit. Besides leaving the outsides looking unweighted they put the weight largely on the axis of the bearing which is surely better for it and the axle in general. I like the look a lot!

Hydro

I have my tires loaded, weighted and hang suitcase weights off the rear hitch. With the two stage snow blower out front the extra weight on the rear helps to counter balance especially in reverse or if the front wheels drop over the edge of pavement as the AGs don't have much traction in reverse.

For the few hours my tractor is in use during the winter I don't think the suitcase weights will do any harm considering the way I see some of these tractors loaded up.

post-5559-0-56046200-1357526223_thumb.jp

• Like 1

WheelHorseSteve

I have my tires loaded, weighted and hang suitcase weights off the rear hitch. With the two stage snow blower out front the extra weight on the rear helps to counter balance especially in reverse or if the front wheels drop over the edge of pavement as the AGs don't have much traction in reverse.

For the few hours my tractor is in use during the winter I don't think the suitcase weights will do any harm considering the way I see some of these tractors loaded up.

Looks sweet to me!