Sign in to follow this  
richmondred01

417 engine swap. Need advice

richmondred01

I installed a k301 in a 417a today. The k301 was in c121. After working out the iso cradle and mounting it fits very well. Even the muffler does not hit the front of the hood. Here's the part I dislike: wiring...

The c121 used a regulator not a rectifier. The wiring for the 417 has the harness with only two prongs attaching to the engine. It appears that the two stator wires are factory connected together I assume the other is for the center of the regulator. I've installed the regulator from the c121 where the solinoid was and I'm using the solinoid, which is attached to the blower housing of the k301.

Should I cut the two factory wires from the 417 harness make them two separate connectors and use the other for the center of the regulator? Any ideas/suggestions would be great.

One last thing. The drive pulley on the 417 has chip out from what appears to be a puller. It's still on the engine. The pulley on the c121 was smaller. Can I use that one or should I try to use the chiped one. Thanks for your help.

Sparky

You need the larger pulley for the 417-A, by using the smaller pulley your actually spinning the hydro pump slower. The smaller pulleys were used for manual trannies. I think it was 4" pulleys on manuals and 5" on hydro's.

Mike.........

ericj

you definitely want the bigger pully. can you just put male or female stay-con connectors into the plug so you don't have to butcher the harness, that way you can always go back to the kt17 or a motor that uses that plug. i always try not to butcher but adapt so i can always reverse what i did

eric

richmondred01

Ok. I ordered the larger pulley. Anyone have info on the wiring?

Callen

You need to mount the C121 rectifier/regulator where the starter relay was/is on the 417 to get it away from the heat. Connect the 2 wires from the 301 to the rectifier. According to the '86 417 wiring diagram, the 2 wires that connect to the engine...the yellow one will have to be connected to the + side of the coil and the white one will go on the rectifier. Make sure you have a good ground on the rectifier and a good ground on the ground strap on the cradle.

richmondred01

Got it running and its charging well.

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Good work! :woohoo:

richmondred01

FYI. The engine swap works fine the rebuilt k301 has plenty of power. I was cutting grass and leaves operating at full speed. It never broke a sweat.

• Like 1

WheelHorse_of_course

Nice when a project comes all together! :cool: :banana-dance: