Sign in to follow this  
sscotsman

Carb rebuild on a Tecumseh

sscotsman

Well, I finally have to do it..

I have been hoping it wouldn't come to this! ;)

but its time..

I have to rebuild the carb on my 1971 Ariens snowblower..

685686894_Vo5Mo-O.jpg

(Its the snowblower that led to the creation of my Ariens webpage, and led directly me to getting a 1964 Wheel Horse 854!)

Scots-854-0005.jpg

Ariens and Wheel Horse webpages:

http://1stclass.myla...Wheelhorse.html

The snowblower itself is a tank..nothing wrong with it.

but the engine runs like crap..it always has..(this is the 4th winter I have owned it)

I know the problem is the carb..I cant get it adjusted properly, no matter what I do it always stalls out and just

generally runs very poorly..

Today I had it out working for the first snowfall of the season, and it stalled out probably 10 times..

adjusting the main jet doesn't seem to really change anything..today it would only run at full choke, or half choke..not open choke.

and no matter how I tried adjusting the main jet, it didn't help any..

I think have to take the carb apart and rebuild it..I think its the only solution.

I have no idea if it has ever been rebuilt or cleaned in its 42 year lifespan, it probably hasn't..

I have been avoiding this because I have NO clue what im doing! ;)

Before I bought the snowblower, (4 years ago) I had never worked on an engine in my life..

I was (and still am somewhat) the newbiest of newbies..

When I first got the snowblower, I was afraid to even *adjust* the carb for a year, because I didnt want to mess it up..

Now I have tried adjusting the needles, (and im still not sure im doing that properly! ;) but im learning, slowly..

So im ready to do it..im going to order a rebuild kit and just jump in..

So, first step..are there different rebuild kits? different manufacturers? im sure like anything else,

there is a wide range of quality..What would be the best kit to get?

and anyone know what specific kit I would need?

The engine is a 1971 Tecumseh H70-130067A.

thanks!

Scot

specialwheelhorse

Go to Tulsa engine warehouse and I'm sure you can buy a new carb for that for about fifty bucks.

I wouldn't mess with a rebuild kit. When you are done you still have an old carb.

Jim In Texas

rydogg

You can remove the jet without removing the carb bowl....the bolt that holds the bowl on and has the needle going through it is usually what gets plugged, take it out and run a wire through the holes, there will be a tiny hole about half way up that is sometimes between the threads I usually pull out 1 wire from a wire brush to clean this one out. If you are able to do it this way you don't need to get a rebuild kit. Pictures below show the holes that need to be cleared the one at the top of the threads is very small and sometimes hard to find I have a piece of wire in it to show where it is. You can buy these parts new but usually just clean them and they are good as new. I left the adjustment needle in because it was stuck but this needs to be removed for cleaning.

wheelhorse351.jpg

wheelhorse352.jpg

sscotsman

I will try that first!

(cleaning the holes in the jet)

thanks! good suggestion..

Im also going to ditch the gas while I am at it..and re-fill with fresh.

I prepared the snowblower for the winter season in late-October..Two months ago!

(we usually get snow in November)

So the gas has been sitting for 2 months already..it has stabilizer, but still..

these days, which such poor quality gas, 2 months might be "too long"..

thanks, I will try removing and cleaning the jet and report back..

Scot

squonk

Scot, do you have any "Fast Trac" gas stations near you? N.Y. gas has taken a big dump lately. 2 months of sitting can turn it into trash. Fast trac's sell ethanol free premium. Moisture gets sucked into the gas because of the ethanol. I would try that if there are any stations near you. Some small engine shops sell 4 cycle ethanol free gas in quarts also. If you really get stuck, there is an old timer near me who loves Tecky's and when he rebuilds a carb, 99% of the time you don't have to adjust a thing after you bolt it on. Next door neighbor dragged his Ariens blower out today. I('m sure it had last year's fuel in it. This guy doesn't take care of a thing.) I'm surprised he had the ambition to get it out in the first place. That blower was running all raggedy and backfiring. Finally it went BOOM!!! and he dragged it back inside.

I see a crapload of snowblowers on CL and a few Ariens in your neck of the woods Scot.

Edited by squonk

Sparky

If you do end up rebuilding it I recommend you get a one gallon container of carb cleaner such as this stuff.

post-2-0-60330900-1356211663_thumb.jpg

I used it with great results. Just take the carb apart and put it and all its parts in the metal basket that comes with the can and let it soak for 24 hours. It can soak longer. Mine sat in the can for almost a week before I had time to get it out and mess with it.

Mike...........

• Like 1

squonk

That's great stuff. about $31.00 at Advance Auto. Take the hair clean off of your carcass. If I get within 5 feet of the stuff, my wife will know it and make me get undressed outdoors! :jaw:

• Like 2

sorekiwi

If a quick blast through of the jets doesnt fix it, you will need to soak the carb in a bucket of stuff like Sparky showed. My can is from "Berrymans" and is at least 5 years old.

I havent had much luck with Tecumseh carbs, no matter how much I poke, prod and blow them (that doesnt sound right...) If a clean out doesnt work, I think I'd just try to buy a new one.

I had my Father-in-laws blower here a few weeks ago. Wouldnt start and still had last years fuel in it. The float bowl was full of jelly type stuff. I just dumped all the fuel, blasted through every orifice I could find with aerosol type carb cleaner, and refilled it with 100% gas. Started right up.

sscotsman

Scot, do you have any "Fast Trac" gas stations near you? N.Y. gas has taken a big dump lately. 2 months of sitting can turn it into trash. Fast trac's sell ethanol free premium. Moisture gets sucked into the gas because of the ethanol. I would try that if there are any stations near you. Some small engine shops sell 4 cycle ethanol free gas in quarts also. If you really get stuck, there is an old timer near me who loves Tecky's and when he rebuilds a carb, 99% of the time you don't have to adjust a thing after you bolt it on.

Mike,

I thought we had no more ethanol-free gas around here, but I recently discovered a new place!

So I will just drain out the 2-month old gas (about half a gallon probably) and start fresh with the good stuff..

I have been reading threads here this afternoon too about using higher octane gas..I have never tried that, might be worth a shot..

Tomorrow I will take the carb apart and take a look..

another problem is, I cant really tell how well its running unless its "under load"..

when its just idling in the driveway, I *think* its ok, but then when the next snow comes, I find out its not ok..

well, giving it a clean is the place to start..I have to do *something*..I will start there.

thanks,

Scot

buckrancher

scott

when you take the carb apart besure all loose parts are removed and hold the carb body it next to your ear and shake it

you should hear a small clunking sound there is a metal rod inside a sealed chamber that runs along side

of the main venturi tube up to the low speed jet ( you have to remove soft plugs to remove the rod )

If this tube is gunked up and you can not hear the rod moving back and forth in it's chamber you will never get it to run right

Brian

sscotsman

scott

when you take the carb apart besure all loose parts are removed and hold the carb body it next to your ear and shake it

you should hear a small clunking sound there is a metal rod inside a sealed chamber that runs along side

of the main venturi tube up to the low speed jet ( you have to remove soft plugs to remove the rod )

If this tube is gunked up and you can not hear the rod moving back and forth in it's chamber you will never get it to run right

Brian

Thanks Brian!

(and everyone)..excellent tips.

Im going to try just removing the main bowl and jet first..clean the bowl, check those small openings on the jet,

make sure they arent clogged..then re-assemble and add new gas..

If that doesnt fix the problem, then its the all-out remove, clean and rebuild route..

thanks,

Scot

sscotsman

Ok, I did it! :)

wasn't too scary afterall! ;)

I unscrewed the main jet, took it out, and there was actually a small "stick" of some sort actually

IN the larger needle hole! like a tiny pine needle..some sort of vegetation..

that could be problematic! ;)

(Im going to install a fuel filter)

So I took that out, cleaned things off with carb cleaner..

I removed the jet/needle, and there is some build-up right on the "pointy end" of the needle itself, like a hard scale of some sort,

so its soaking in carb cleaner right now.

The o-rings need to be replaced, the small o-ring at the bottom of the needle was falling apart somewhat..

Im going to go to Napa tomorrow and see if I can get new o-rings..

might end up just getting a rebuild kit, if I cant buy just the rings alone

Since I had gone this far, I thought it made sense to also remove the bowl, in case anything is dirty in there..

I gently removed the bowl, pulled it down off its gasket..the float flopped down as I removed the bowl, but still attached to the top of the carb.

the bowl wasnt too bad! not very dirty..main bowl gasket looks ok...sprayed with carb cleaner and wiped it out..

took a look at the inside of the carb, (first time I have seen the inside of a carb ever, in my life) (apart from youtube)

float seems fine, its very "light", moves easily on its pin, and I dont hear any gas as I move it up and down..

(I didnt bother to actually "pull the pin" to take the float off..)

hmmm..I know from watching many you-tube videos, that the float controls a needle valve..where is the valve?

hmmm..that must be the opening that the needle sticks into...uh-oh!

no float needle..its just GONE! I dont remember seeing it as I removed the bowl, but it must have fallen out..

I moved the snowblower, looked underneath, shook out the rags, looked all over the side of the machine..nothing!

the valve is just gone..I will go out and look again later, but im not confidant its going to turn up..

will probably have to get a new one..

There is an OPE dealer near me that has old "parts" snowblowers out back..I might stop by and see if I can just buy a used "parts carb"..

maybe they will sell me one cheap..Or Napa might have it, but I dont know if I could just buy the valve alone..

But its underway! hopefully I can get it back together tomorrow..

thanks,

Scot

squonk

A rebuild kit is fairly cheap and will have a new valve in it. That scale build up could be from the fuel stabilizer

Don1977

If you are going to run a Tecumseh you need to learn how to clean and rebuild carburetors. A gallon of carburetor cleaner is your best friend. I was given a Troy-bilt tiller with a 6 HP Tecumseh that would not run cleaned the carburetor and it ran great. The next spring the breather tub broke off while tilling and had to clean the carburetor before I could get it to run again.

roscoemi

Got a new Stens carb for my son's Lawn Ranger with a 6hp Techy for $30 shipped to the house. Put it on with no adjustments and it runs great.

• Like 1

specialwheelhorse

I'm with you Rosco, they can go thru all the Mumbo Jumbo they want and when it's

all over an aftermarket carb will cure all I'lls and they won't have any more money involved.

DONE RIGHT !

Don1977

I'm with you Rosco, they can go thru all the Mumbo Jumbo they want and when it's

all over an aftermarket carb will cure all I'lls and they won't have any more money involved.

DONE RIGHT !

Buy a new carburetor for a replacement Kohler. Then it's "DONE RIGHT" THAT IS WHAT CURES TECUMSEH ILLS. :ROTF:

roscoemi

I've spent too much time on carbs in my life. Quadrajunks on Chevy's and whatever on techy's never run right once they are gunked up or old. Buy a Holley for the Chevy and a Stens for the techy and move on to other issues. :twocents-02cents:

groundhog47

Well, I finally have to do it..

I have been hoping it wouldn't come to this! ;)

but its time..

I have to rebuild the carb on my 1971 Ariens snowblower..

685686894_Vo5Mo-O.jpg

(Its the snowblower that led to the creation of my Ariens webpage, and led directly me to getting a 1964 Wheel Horse 854!)

Scots-854-0005.jpg

Ariens and Wheel Horse webpages:

http://1stclass.myla...Wheelhorse.html

The snowblower itself is a tank..nothing wrong with it.

but the engine runs like crap..it always has..(this is the 4th winter I have owned it)

I know the problem is the carb..I cant get it adjusted properly, no matter what I do it always stalls out and just

generally runs very poorly..

Today I had it out working for the first snowfall of the season, and it stalled out probably 10 times..

adjusting the main jet doesn't seem to really change anything..today it would only run at full choke, or half choke..not open choke.

and no matter how I tried adjusting the main jet, it didn't help any..

I think have to take the carb apart and rebuild it..I think its the only solution.

I have no idea if it has ever been rebuilt or cleaned in its 42 year lifespan, it probably hasn't..

I have been avoiding this because I have NO clue what im doing! ;)

Before I bought the snowblower, (4 years ago) I had never worked on an engine in my life..

I was (and still am somewhat) the newbiest of newbies..

When I first got the snowblower, I was afraid to even *adjust* the carb for a year, because I didnt want to mess it up..

Now I have tried adjusting the needles, (and im still not sure im doing that properly! ;) but im learning, slowly..

So im ready to do it..im going to order a rebuild kit and just jump in..

So, first step..are there different rebuild kits? different manufacturers? im sure like anything else,

there is a wide range of quality..What would be the best kit to get?

and anyone know what specific kit I would need?

The engine is a 1971 Tecumseh H70-130067A.

thanks!

Scot

There are quite a few diff kits, when dealin' with sears units but yours may be cut and dried. I never had a prob kittin' em less they had been in rain for years, except for diafram types, that Tulsa engine place does do good on parts for reasonable prices, also.

If that unit has the adjustable timin' check it also, that gave me fits on some, if fixed timing not so bad. Good luck with whatever route ya go

Buckshot 1

:) I second the motion on a new carb. I played with a carb. on an H60 for about a month and it won. Bought a new genuine Tec. carb., install it. Never touched the settings, fired right up and is running strong. :text-merryxmas: everyone. :flags-usa: .

sscotsman

Woo Hoo! I did it! :woohoo:

Went out to a local OPE dealer today and got the Tecumseh carb kit and a fuel filter,

and picked up some fresh, non-ethanol gas..

Since the carb kit had a new main jet, I just used that rather than the old jet.

and it also had the needle valve, which I needed becauseI lost the original one yesterday..

I pulled the pin on the float to get the needle valve attached to it with its tricky little wire harness,

(had to come inside a few times and check the internet to figure out how the little wire harness attached)

Got the needle valve in, put the new gaskets/rings on, put on the bowl and the main jet..

came back inside to check the internet again, to get the "starting position" for the jet..

hooked the gas line back up, got gas flowing through the tube..

gave the carb a shot of starting fluid..and it started! :)

But ran about 2 seconds and sputtered out..damn..

took the bowl back off 3 or 4 times, fiddled with the float valve..(gas wasnt getting into the bowl)

Came back inside yet again to check the position of the bowl..yep, had that wrong..

finally, after about an hour all told, she fired up and ran great!

Thanks for the help everyone! much appreciated..

I am officially no longer afraid of carbs! :icecream:

Scot

• Like 2

Sparky

CONGRATS! Maybe a new carb swap would have fixed it but theres a much bigger sense of pride when you can fix the one you have and learn a new skill as well.

Mike.........

sscotsman

CONGRATS! Maybe a new carb swap would have fixed it but theres a much bigger sense of pride when you can fix the one you have and learn a new skill as well.

Mike.........

yep! indeed..and this was probably actually easier than swapping out the whole carb, because I didnt have to physically remove the carb!

which would entail a lot more complicated fiddly work..removing all the linkages and everything.

I know simply replacing the whole can be *a* solution in cases like this, and sometimes it probably is the best solution,

but in my case the carb just needed a decent cleaning..

and oh yeah, I should mention..

as I was cleaning up, you guessed it..I found the original float needle! ;)

I laid down newspapers to sit on, on the garage floor..I lifted them up and "shook them out" when I was looking for the needle yesterday,

but obviously didnt do enough..the needle was the very last thing I picked up off the garage floor this afternoon, when I was all done..

now I have a spare! ;)

thanks,

Scot

varosd

Mike.........

yep! indeed..and this was probably actually easier than swapping out the whole carb, because I didnt have to physically remove the carb!

which would entail a lot more complicated fiddly work..removing all the linkages and everything.

I know simply replacing the whole can be *a* solution in cases like this, and sometimes it probably is the best solution,

but in my case the carb just needed a decent cleaning..

and oh yeah, I should mention..

as I was cleaning up, you guessed it..I found the original float needle! ;)

I laid down newspapers to sit on, on the garage floor..I lifted them up and "shook them out" when I was looking for the needle yesterday,

but obviously didnt do enough..the needle was the very last thing I picked up off the garage floor this afternoon, when I was all done..

now I have a spare! ;)

thanks,

Scot

I guess they should call it "Finding a needle in a pile of newspapers"!