Sign in to follow this  
Kevbo

Marvel Mystery Oil?

Kevbo

Does anyone add MMO to their Kohlers? If you do how much do you add? The bottle says a 20% ratio...is this correct? Thanks!

64s

I don't have a bottle in front of me, but just follow the directions (you don't have to be exact). I think the 20 % was for adding to the crankcase, just note that there is another ratio for adding the the fuel tank.

Kevbo

Ok yea I was going to add MMO to the crankcase and I use Seafoam in my fuel. Will MMO change the viscosity of the oil? Is there any danger to using MMO in the crankcase?

64s

Yes it will change the viscosity. I've never found out the viscosity of MMO but its lighter than 30 weight. Also, I've used it with my oil with no apparent adverse results, usually after I purchase a new machine (new to me), but mostly I put stuff in my fuel vs crankcase.

Wheel-N-It

Kevin, for 22years I have used 1oz of MMO per quart of motor oil in every engine I change the oil in that I DO NOT refill with LE motor oil. This would be engines I change oil in outside of my own personal stuff. For my own personal engines I always use LE motor oil. You do not need to add anything to LE. I wish you guys would try LE.

But anyway, remember 1oz mmo per quart of oil, 1oz MMO per gallon of gasoline. You have to do this for a long time to really see the benefits. Those benefits will become very clear 5 years down the road when you realize how good your wheelhorses have been running without alot of tinkering on them.

rydogg

I have never ran MMO in oil but I add it to my gas at a ratio of 1oz per gallon I also add about the same amount of 2 stroke oil to my gas to aid in top end lubrication. I do this for all of the lawn equiptment and my vehicles.

MaineDad

I run it in my gas for every fill up. 1 ounce per 1 gallon as said before.

sorekiwi

If you search "Marvel mystery oil" you will find about 20 other threads from over the years. The above thread is probably most of what you are asking.

Kevbo

Thanks for all the input! I just put about 1 oz of MMO into my C-81 crankcase that I just purchased when I changed the oil. I think I will make this a habit with all of my tractors.

1oz MMO per quart of oil.

1oz Seafoam per gallon of gasoline.

Duff

Kevin, for 22years I have used 1oz of MMO per quart of motor oil in every engine I change the oil in that I DO NOT refill with LE motor oil. This would be engines I change oil in outside of my own personal stuff. For my own personal engines I always use LE motor oil. You do not need to add anything to LE. I wish you guys would try LE.

But anyway, remember 1oz mmo per quart of oil, 1oz MMO per gallon of gasoline. You have to do this for a long time to really see the benefits. Those benefits will become very clear 5 years down the road when you realize how good your wheelhorses have been running without alot of tinkering on them.

OK, I'll be the idiot here - what the heck is "LE" oil? :huhs:

Duff :thumbs:

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Thank you for postiing the link Craig.

And "Yes", LE does make a straight 30 weight oil for our Wheel Horses.

JC 1965

Which is better to add to the gas, MMO or Seafoam ? :dunno:

Kevbo

Good question!! Does anyone know?? Also does MMO and Seafoam have the same ability to preserve gasoline as Stabil?

Don1977

Good question!! Does anyone know?? Also does MMO and Seafoam have the same ability to preserve gasoline as Stabil?

Here is some information on both. Marvel Mystery doesn't claim to stabilize gas.

http://www.seafoamsa...-treatment.html

http://www.marvelmys...x.php/site/mmo/

rydogg

I would just use both since it can't hurt anything. My fuel is usually a mixture of MMO, Seafoam, 2 cycle oil, lucas etc. I do not add all of them at the same time I add a couple of them to my 5 gallon gas cans that are used to fill my lawn equipment. I go through a lot of fuel so I don't have to worry about it going bad and the stuff that has to sit with fuel in it gets a shot of seafoam to preserve the fuel.

dbartlett1958

I use TCW-3 two cycle oil in all my gas engines mixed 500:1, which is about an ounce to 4 gallons of gas. Doesn't sound like a lot but the additives in the two cycle seem to help keep things clean.

Check this link for more reading pleasure.

http://www.bobistheo...478#Post1107478

Oh, and Merry Christmas to all!

Kevbo

Thanks all! Merry Christmas!

Buckshot 1

:) I use MMO and Seafoam, in my gas. I also add it during oil changes. In all my equipment and my car and truck. You can also add Seafoam to your oil. :flags-usa:

Kevbo

I added Seafoam to by oil once in my 1991 Toyota Camry and I believe that it might have caused my gaskets to start leaking as it cleaned my engine...Since then I have hesitated putting it in the crankcase, but MMO seems a little thicker and of a different chemical makeup. Seafoam in my gas though and as a carb spray cleaner has given me great results. 1oz per gallon even in my vehicles. I buy the big gallon can for $60...little expensive up front but worth it In the long run. I am happy to use MMO in the oil and glad to find something rather than seafoam for my crankcase. Who knows though maybe I'm bring to skeptical about it!

47JDG

I use MMO in my old engines. I have a 52 Chrysler flat head 6 cylinder that has smoothed out greatly since I started adding MMO to the fuel. It definitely has improved its running and response.. It's an original engine with low compression that could benefit from an overhaul, but I am nursing it along for now. I have never added it to my crankcase, but I know it works wonders when added to fuel of an old brute.

woodbird007

Interesting discussion. I've been using sea foam and stabil in gas, may try MMO. I remember seeing an old can in my Dad's shed 50 years ago. I thought it was some magic potion. Sounds like it might be!

liketoplayto

i use lucus tune up in a bottle great stuff never had a problem with it and it makes a big difrence from the get go

Lane Ranger

We have used Seafoam in gasoline for years and had good luck with it. First few years I used Stabil but found gasoline would not stay as well in tank and barbs -tended to gum up more. Ethanol and water with seasonal gasoline mixtures produced has a lot to do with it (also depends on location in the country) but I like Seafoam!

PS -Never used Marvel Mystery Oil!

Edited by Lane Ranger

specialwheelhorse

It is recomended on the first half hour run time on a rebuild to use

20 wt so i usually use 30 and add a couple ounces of MMO which

I figure cuts the 30 back to a bout 20 the drain and fill with 30 and run for

another 4 1/2 hrs with some load then drain and refill with whatever you prefer

Within recomendations. Seats rings well and works well for me. This is basicly

what Kohler recomends. At least 2 dozen engines rebuilt and all running very well.

It seems MMO is a bout the same as 10wt

Jim in Texas