irishfan

snowthrower belt 42 inch single stage Belt Help

irishfan

I have a wheel horse 312-8 with a 42 inch single stage blower. Just had the bearings and new chain put on. Runs quiet but does not throw the snow as well as it used to. I still have the original belt on and when I run it there seems to be a little play in it. Would a new belt make that much of a difference in this problem Iam having ?

Sparky

Is the belt on the inner PTO pulley? That pulley will spin the blower faster than the outer pulley which results in better thrown snow. Also check the spring on the idler pullers for the blower. Make sure its not shot. Lastly the belt may be stretched and then a new belt is your only solution.

Mike........

KC9KAS

I don't have a snowblower, but if the old belt is slipping under load, that could be your problem.

Oh, buy the way... :WRS: and :wwp:

irishfan

It is on the outer pulley I will change it and see if it makes a difference. I will check the spring . thanks for your quick reply

irishfan

I don't have a snowblower, but if the old belt is slipping under load, that could be your problem.

Oh, buy the way... :WRS: and :wwp:

Thank You, this is a great forum. I googled wheel horse and found this site. Love it and love my wheel horse bought it new in 1985 and it has been part of the family for a long time would love to keep it for much longer. as soon as i figure out how to send picture attachments i will put one up.

wallfish

:WRS:

Also check the PTO pulley tension. That could be slipping and not the belt. Maybe a couple of turns on the trunion but don't make it too tight

Edited by wallfish

bploof

Okay where's the trunion .. ? pics pls ... ? :roll: Oh ... & it seems that if I put the belt on the inside of the PTO it will throw off the belt alignment to the blower . ?

wallfish

Here's a pic of the adjustment I was referring to.

DON'T over do it because it could add excessive side load on the engine shaft. A couple of turns should do it.

post-658-0-10622700-1357334125_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

bploof

Here's a pic of the adjustment I was referring to.

DON'T over do it because it could add excessive side load on the engine shaft. A couple of turns should do it.

Okay it was hard to push until I adjusted it back a few turns because it seemed to hard . Now it pushes over easier but stays engaged . I will give it a few turns & see what happens ... ?