Are you a believer?

Do you believe the end is near  

36 members have voted

1. 1. December 21, 2012 at 6:11am Eastern time

• Yes, the world will certainly end
    • No, this is ancient hog wash
    • I'll let you know tomorrow afternoon.

nylyon

Wondering if you believe that an ancient civilization, who believed in human sacrifice to please the gods could actually predict the end of the world, or at lease as we know it?

[sharedmedia=finalCountdown:countdown:4]

smoreau

No, there just going to shut off the Internet to see what happens

• Like 1

Anglo Traction

No, could the world/civilisation destroy itself by Timezone?.... I'll check BBC News24 to see if the Asia News spot is still on or not just after midnight !!!.

Mayans themselves say it is a 'cycle of life period' and repeats.

stevasaurus

Believing it or not...it is an astronomical event. The earth, sun and the black hole at the center of our galaxy will all line up as we pass through the plane of the Milky Way. As we go through this for the next couple of years, the gravitational pull from our neighbors will be different. It may not be the end of the earth, but the earth will be acting a little different because of some of these changes. When you look at just the effect of the moon on the tides, you start to realize that maybe more volcanic activity, maybe more violent weather patterns and maybe even a reverse of polarity at the poles are possible. Stock up with your favorite beverage people and watch the show. :woohoo: :happy-jumpeveryone:

• Like 2

Jim_M

I hope the world doesn't end. I just bought a $35 bottle of bourbon and it would be a shame if I didn't get to finish it.

• Like 6

Kelly

Start drinkin Jim, just incase, then you will never know or care!!!!

• Like 1

Jim_M

I have to go to a meeting downtown tonight, so I can't start yet, but I'm sure I'll be ready to break the seal on that bottle when I get home.

And before anybody asks.....NO, it's not an AA meeting. If it was, I could start drinking now and not feel guilty about it. :techie-eureka:

Edited by Jim_M
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

Hey Jim...if you get into breaking seals, I have a few that I have been working on and some I have not broken yet. You are welcome to either have one or share one with me. :)

seals.jpg

• Like 2

squonk

Believing it or not...it is an astronomical event. The earth, sun and the black hole at the center of our galaxy will all line up as we pass through the plane of the Milky Way. As we go through this for the next couple of years, the gravitational pull from our neighbors will be different. It may not be the end of the earth, but the earth will be acting a little different because of some of these changes. When you look at just the effect of the moon on the tides, you start to realize that maybe more volcanic activity, maybe more violent weather patterns and maybe even a reverse of polarity at the poles are possible. Stock up with your favorite beverage people and watch the show. :woohoo::happy-jumpeveryone:

A different gravitational pull?? It could help. I could go to :) my Doc and say "see I lost 20 lbs.!" And maybe it will snow again!! :woohoo::happy-jumpeveryone:

Hey Jim...if you get into breaking seals, I have a few that I have been working on and some I have not broken yet. You are welcome to either have one or share one with me. :)

seals.jpg

Easter Seals!

glgrumpy

Snowing here, One flake at a time, NO two, No three......keeps gettng faster! Hmmm! I like the internet stop test, ha! Seems that would be a REAL disaster. No banking, no communications, no Checking Out at stores, ha! How would We do it? Mayans have date wrong. Was a bit earlier.......see many Mayan's around now?? It's all B/S and wonder what minds make up all these doomsday ideas? Would think Atomic wars or climate change would be much more important worry. All of US here will be long gone before any pole changes and climate change happens, and it will be a LOng, Slow process anyway. Humans may adapt as it happens??

• Like 1

AMC RULES

I am a believer...just not in any of this Armageddon nonsense. :)

nylyon

Everyone has to believe in something...... I believe I'll have another beer! :beer:

• Like 4

Rooster

All I know is, When the neck of a shiner bock, my stomach and that hole in my face all line up things get pretty weird!

• Like 2

6wheeler

Funny, I just read something about the mis-interpretation of what the Mayans actually predicted. It was that the female ruler at the time would have a reign that would last until this date more or less. I wonder what she would look like being several thousand years old? The expert that did the story was quoted saying, " If the Mayans could actually predict the end of the world, don't you think they could have predicted their own demise as well"? The story was all about the ways the world will meet its end. The Black Hole phenomenon is considered laughable by scientists because it has happened several hundred times in the last thousand years with no ill effects. (I think they must have consulted some Mayans as they seem to be the only ones to have been around that long). And as far as the poles reversing? Yes, it has happened also. But, it takes several thousand years to complete a full reversal. And the expert on that said," Not very many people use a compass anymore, its all done with GPS now and satellites don't care about polarity" so what's the problem? Again, the Mayans must have been there for that too. And, as for the solar flares and corresponding weather patterns? It happens every 11 years. There is what they call a solar peak. It just so happens it was at the end of 2011 into 2012. So now the cycle starts again I guess. And, again the Mayans must have seen this several thousand times. Oh yeah, and the European Atom Smasher has been in operation for 3 years now and so far hasn't caused any space junk (ie: old rockets and satellites and the like) to plummet out of control into our atmosphere. So, I think tomorrow? I will just move snow after the wind lets up and then finish the Christmas shopping. And then? Have a couple beers. I guess that after reading that article was when I figured I probably shouldn't call Catherine Zeta Jones and ask her for an end of the world date..... Oh well :teasing-neener: :teasing-neener: :teasing-neener: :teasing-neener:

rmaynard

Start drinkin Jim, just incase, then you will never know or care!!!!

That is unless the world doesn't end, you will have the hangover of your life.
  • Like 1

Kelly

:text-yeahthat: Then he might wish the world had ended.

• Like 1