Martin

blower rebuild

Wishin4a416

The bottom part of my chute measures 13 inches Martin not including the 2 upper pieces.

• Like 1

Martin

thanks Jack, i think that measurement was posted earlier on an xi blower thread on here. there has been a couple of you real helpful with pm's on the measurements as well and i appreciate it!

got today off and all next week so should be able to spend some time getting things finished up. i needed a rest from working on the calendar this morning, so went out and hooked up the blower to the 416 just now.

post-4321-0-01155200-1416590141_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-17180600-1416590150_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-04520000-1416590162_thumb.jp

• Like 2

PaulC

Looking really good Martin!! Bring it up here to Buffalo and you can do more then try it out.

Not sure whats up with your camera though?? there are green and yellow smudges in all 3 of those pics :laughing-rofl:

• Like 1

cod

Just of of curiousity, how weel do the tall chutes work with wet snow?  I've got a unit identical to what Martin started with ( although nowhere near as sharp ) and if the snow is wet both the auger and chute get clogged.  Last winter I started taking a steel pipe with me when I was clearing snow and used that to clear the chute and get the auger to rotate again.

This spring I found that the drive shaft was worn down under the bearings, so I replaced the drive shaft with one that's 1" in diameter instead of 3/4", replaced all the bearings, the drive sprocket and drive pulley.  The bearings for the auger were still tight but when I had the auger out, I took all the bends out and repainted it and the inside of the blower to see if less friction improves the wet snow performance.  I also decided to wax the interior but I doubt it will last.  Tomorrow I mount it up and then wait for a chance to test it later this winter but my tests don't require the same amount of snow Paul's been dealing with... ;-)

Martin

i can't tell you how well they work with wet snow. i know my walk behind Ariens does ok with the snow, wet or powdery, just push it in and let it work. it has never really clogged that bad it didn't clear itself. but we are talking about a two stage compared with a single. when it gets all done and the snow starts flying, i will let you know.......

weather was warmer today, so i pushed the 416 out and set up the blower as much as i could. still have a few things to finish off as well as the chain, but got the chute rotating nice on the rollers, i hate them  by the way, but thats what this one has and i will just deal with it. adding the plastic base that was offered would probably help, but a small amount of lithium grease in all the right areas got it rotating smooth. i will hook up the cable when i get some more time. also had an old belt, so checked out the pulley alignment and operated the belt a few times turning the drive shaft. nice, quiet, smooth... more pics for the pic junkies......

post-4321-0-06409900-1416702342_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-51544400-1416702354_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-89777400-1416702367_thumb.jp

• Like 6

Martin

just looked outside, if i take the blower off the tractor and mount the blade, go out and pile it all up in a few areas, i might just be able to blow some snow once my drive belt comes in today..... :ROTF:

they are calling for an inch, its going to have to snow a bit harder to get anywhere near that........

post-4321-0-99315500-1416842234_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Coadster32

Great job!!! Looks amazing. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Geno

Couldn't look any better Martin.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

Don't bother pushing that snow into a pile Martin- you'll have  bunch to try out your "new" snowblower on sooner than you think!  Great job on this!    Looks like I am going to have to find you a new taller 90"s blower for a trade!

• Like 2

Martin

got the drive belt in the mail today, so went out and finished up everything on the blower. got the chain all set up, cut the length to 51 links like the original, lined up all the sprockets with shim washers and installed the chain. double checked all my bolts, installed cotter pins in all the areas i temporarily put hairpins and gave the whole blower a good spray down with quick wax.

chain, idlers etc installed....

post-4321-0-29918400-1416871315_thumb.jp

new belt fresh from ebay, this one was $20 in a sealed bag, not sure what they run at the dealer, probably more i would guess.

post-4321-0-38114200-1416871323_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-39061200-1416871332_thumb.jp

chain guards on.

post-4321-0-92604500-1416871351_thumb.jp

all done....

post-4321-0-09130400-1416871372_thumb.jp

came inside to get a bite to eat and after a while look out the back window to see Kent out on the back driveway with a shovel messing up all my test snow........ :angry-cussingblack:  :angry-cussingblack:

so i finished up my lunch and went out there, but not before putting my coat and slippers on. i thought to myself how dare he exert energy! i was wondering if he was feeling ok, working and all.......after all he is a teenager, what will he be up to next?????

actually i already know the answer to that, having 4 others that have gone through those years already......

anyway, i said to him to stop that working thing immediately, he might break out in a sweat and I'm sure he didn't want that to happen. i did manage to get him to hold my phone for a few minutes while i tested out the blower on what was left on the driveway (which wasn't very much-darn kids......)

Edited by Martin
  • Like 7

bmsgaffer

Martin: One of maybe ten people in the entirety of the United Stated of America -and the world for that matter- cursing teenagers FOR doing manual labor... :ranting:

:laughing-rolling:

Edited by bmsgaffer
  • Like 3

Martin

can't say its the same way when its time for him to do the dishes or put out the garbage though....... :confusion-scratchheadblue:

• Like 3

smoreau

Very nice job Martin! I like the Arins top part of the shout. Never thought of that as a easy to make a tall shout for a older blower. Sooooo......

When do we get to see the cab thread for this blower tractor? Once you try one. You wounder why you thought you could live with out it!!

• Like 1

Martin

thanks Scott,

I've never been much of a fan of the cabs, i see their benefits especially when its windy, but i just like the tractors uncovered. my neighbor has a cab for his walk behind, once again, very handy for keeping out of the weather, and then we have Martin across the road with his uncovered walk behind, blowing snow and the wind blowing it all up in his face!!!!!.........

honestly, for the amount of time i spend outside, getting on and off the tractor, i like being in the open, just got to keep that wind behind you as much as possible..........

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

Martin:  I have been using this stuff for about five years on my snowblower auger.  It does not build up but does  help keep snow moving through the blower and chute!

Something to consider.

post-339-0-79884700-1416926777_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Martin

got some parts delivered today to help out with the snowplowing duties.....

now i got more work to do, making a weight rack for the rear and mounting some tires on the front to get rid of those horrible in the snow oem turfs.

oh, and some painting to cover up that green....

post-4321-0-93448100-1417040608_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-80649800-1417040617_thumb.jp

home depot had the best deal on the weights, free 3 day ship as well. bought 4 of them. the tires are the same v61 vredesteins i put on the 416-8.....

post-4321-0-58755100-1417040625_thumb.jp

Edited by Martin
  • Like 2

Geno

Noooooooooooo not the green ones!    :laughing-rolling:

• Like 2

PaulC

Gonna need ALOT of red paint to cover up that nice buck on the side of those weights!!

I plan to add some weight to the rear of mine as well never had any just chains curious to see the difference.

I was also thinking about tri ribs for the front. I love the look and read about them being better in the snow. I don't have many issues with the turfs though? Are the tri ribs really that much better?

• Like 1

Martin

my front turfs on this 416 are the oem dico turfs. i have plowed with this tractor for a couple seasons and hated the way they slide around on the snow. I've heard the 5 ribs are great in the snow, never tried them as yet even though this is the second set i have purchased. 

never tried tri ribs either, but others on here say they work well. in my opinion the 5 ribs look better on the wider wheels, but thats just how i feel about them.

• Like 1

Martin

v61 fronts on.....

post-4321-0-31509800-1417116409_thumb.jp

Edited by Martin
  • Like 2

smoreau

got some parts delivered today to help out with the snowplowing duties.....

now i got more work to do, making a weight rack for the rear and mounting some tires on the front to get rid of those horrible in the snow oem turfs.

oh, and some painting to cover up that green....

attachicon.gifIMG_4022.JPG

home depot had the best deal on the weights, free 3 day ship as well. bought 4 of them. the tires are the same v61 vredesteins i put on the 416-8.....

I picked up 4 of these also this year. Next spring they will get a little filler and paint for sure. Cant beat the Home Depot price and free shipping :thumbs:

5b428a34643bb2b46b77c128750c08d2.jpg

Edited by smoreau
  • Like 2

Digger 66

Better get the die-grinder for the venison  :teasing-poke: .

:greetings-wavegreen:

• Like 1

Martin

I picked up 4 of these also this year. Next spring they will get a little filler and paint for sure. Cant beat the Home Depot price and free shipping :thumbs:

5b428a34643bb2b46b77c128750c08d2.jpg

looks like you used a piece of wide flat about 1/2 to 3/4 thick which was welded to a 2 inch drawbar insert to carry the weights?

i was thinking of something similar, but up higher. how much ground clearance do you have Scott? i have yet to swap the drawbar (one of the ones that you were making) from the c125 over to the 416 and try things out. i am wanting to have them up high in the rear with only just enough clearance to remove them without disturbing the seat pan.

• Like 1

KyBlue

Great job as always Martin!!

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

I love the look of those v61's!

Im saving up for those for sure, they really look like they will dig in when turning without leaving ruts on soft soil.