Martin

blower rebuild

PaulC

I got the blower running yesterday and just like I thought it has quite the shimmy so im hoping to straighten it with heat while leaving in the blower.

The new chute I am making will start at 14" wide and be rolled to about a 7" diameter. Not sure how you plan to make yours but I thought maybe these dimensions could help you. I landed on this size from tweaking my first try. I have the lengths of each piece now(from RMC and JerseyHawg Glenn) and the angles I put on them so I could share that with you too. If you plan to make yours different I would be curious to see what your doing if you wouldn't mind?

I also have a drawing for the replaceable scraper blade if you could use that too? This blower im working on had it so I copied it and am having a couple made so I can add it to my older blower.

Paul

cod

Martin,

There are times when it would be nice to have loads of cash as I'd send you a crate full of WH equipment for you to massage to perfection.  Watching how your projects move along is an inspiration.  Once you are finished, be careful with the height adjustment as last winter I wore the bottom off of the lift pin trying to scrape my driveway clean.  Very surprised when I took the blower off and found that I had removed all of the pin below the cotter pin.

Good luck - Cod

Martin

I got the blower running yesterday and just like I thought it has quite the shimmy so im hoping to straighten it with heat while leaving in the blower.

The new chute I am making will start at 14" wide and be rolled to about a 7" diameter. Not sure how you plan to make yours but I thought maybe these dimensions could help you. I landed on this size from tweaking my first try. I have the lengths of each piece now(from RMC and JerseyHawg Glenn) and the angles I put on them so I could share that with you too. If you plan to make yours different I would be curious to see what your doing if you wouldn't mind?

I also have a drawing for the replaceable scraper blade if you could use that too? This blower im working on had it so I copied it and am having a couple made so I can add it to my older blower.

Paul

Paul, id be interested in any of the measurements you have for the oem tall chute as i plan to keep it around the same size. can't or won't buy one, so will make one.......

as far as the scraper goes, see pics below.....

Cod, i will keep an eye out for the height adjustment. i had to do a fair bit of bending on mine to make it work half reasonable. would have rather done the skids, but I've put enough time into this shell already, and its probably going to get replaced down the road if and when i pick up a nice shell....

heres a few pics, made up the scraper and painted it along with the shell and height adjuster/auger shaft today. and the last one is all the red stuff currently done.

now, its time to get chute fabricatin'..........

post-4321-0-84317500-1415922738_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-76519200-1415922747_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-73026500-1415922756_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-26374000-1415922765_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-60638900-1415922773_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Geno

Very nice Martin, very nice.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

Martin

well, i said i won't buy a chute, but i just picked one up off eBay for $7.00. not wheelhorse, its off an ariens walk behind, i will have to make the lower round section to make it the right height as its only about 14 inches tall right now, but the top sections are the hard ones to make and this should be an easy way out. 

i say that now and will probably pay dearly later.......

heres what it looks like.....

$_57.JPG

• Like 2

PaulC

Martin that paint job looks great!!! I have access to powder as well because my dad works at a sheet metal shop but I never want to take anything all the way apart to be coated. Just for reference though what color do you use? And have you ever p coated a deck shell? how did the under side hold up?

I agree on not buying these chute parts its crazy that the 2 pieces that are still available would cost about $175. That used chute should work out for you. Ive had the thought about going to buy a trailer fender from tractor supply?

Im going to make my second version the same way I did the first by just using the rolled piece for the bottom and middle sections and cut and weld them together. I am going to play around a bit more with the deflector piece though and either stick with another section of the round like I did the first time or break 90's into a piece more like what you bought.

Im just as curious to see your finished product as I am mine keep this pics coming!!!

• Like 1

Martin

I use case red for all the wheelhorse red parts. (PPG PCT 69106) I've done a 42"sd deck, the powder holds up as good as anything else out there, the key is good surface prep. More pics will be coming as the blower gets closer to being completed....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Martin
  • Like 1

KyBlue

As usual Martin, you're doing a heck of a nice job... Can't wait to see it done.

Love the powder...

• Like 1

Martin

got a few pieces in the mail today, drive and idler sprockets, chain, insert bearings and also the ariens chute. time for some cutting and fabricating......

I'm going to cut the lower ring off the ariens chute and add a section roughly 13-14 inches long and fix that to the ring i cut off the wheel horse short chute.

post-4321-0-67368200-1416272742_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-41480700-1416272755_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Martin

chute fabrication was on the agenda today. i used a 20 x 16 piece of mild steel sheet roughly the same thickness as the Ariens pieces and formed a bottom section out of it. one end needed to be 8 inches diameter to fit the rotating collar that sits on the blower shell. the upper pieces are 6-7 inch diameter so i had to reduce the size on the other end of the fabricated section to that so it would fit them properly. the chute stands 30" high, i have no idea what the height of a wheel horse tall chute measures, but this one is about where i thought it should be. its a little higher than the 1057 hood sitting next to it (covered up), but as yet not sure how it will look on the 416 that its probably going to be attached to....

the pieces are just bolted together right now, the bottom section where it attaches to the collar will get welded before painting so the bolt heads don't interfere with rotation....

so those of you that have tall chutes, could somebody measure the length of the chute from the rotating collar to the top of it. id be interested to see what a oem one measures.....

post-4321-0-43911400-1416347862_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-86098600-1416347874_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-60791800-1416347806_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-41167400-1416347817_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-69556800-1416347838_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-53630800-1416347851_thumb.jp

Edited by Martin
  • Like 5

dclarke

Looks good, Martin.

• Like 1

Geno

Lookin good.  :handgestures-thumbsup:   Nice how you're keeping them on the carpet too. 

• Like 1

KyBlue

Very Nice!!!

I have to say, you Sir, have some serious skills! 

• Like 1

Martin

got some more done, hard to get anytime to finish it as I'm juggling work, the calendar and this one as well......

just as well the snows not coming down yet......

worked on the drive and insert bearings, used the 7/8 bearings and bushings the same as Bob Maynard did in his thread. i drilled the clearance holes for the set screws before pressing the bushing all the way home. these were really tight going in and the set screws were 1/4-28, didn't have a 1/4-28 tap so i had to drill the holes before pushing the bushing home. got the auger bearings in and auger installed. everything spins nice. painted the chute at work early this morning, 3.30 am to be exact! had to put that on and see how it all looked together. its getting there, but still got the chain and chute adjuster and other stuff to finish first before the fun can begin....

post-4321-0-13412000-1416440375_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-76836500-1416440385_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-08119500-1416440394_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-19440500-1416440925_thumb.jp

• Like 6

PaulC

Hey Martin check out my extra tall chute thread again when u have a chance. Your height will be just fine I was loving my extra tall chute today and I'm at about 36" off the top of the blower. Also u might want to make a front piece for the lower section. I added one on just to try it and was much happier with the results.

KyBlue

Impressive!!! Though I seem to think that you both, might be overcompensating a bit!

• Like 1

Martin

Ha ha that's funny, truth be told , mine ended up that height because I was too lazy to cut the lower piece shorter than the rough fabrication size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

KyBlue

Well ... I guess if you're going to do it ... DO A BIGG'N!!!!

Martin

had a couple hours to get a little more done. need to pick up some bolts to finish the chain side off. I'm scrounging left over new bolts from the last 2 or 3 tractors i built and the supply is starting to run low!

got the idler pulleys painted and installed, set up the rotating handle assembly and installed the bushings in the height rollers. they run nice and smooth now with new graphite bronze bushings in them instead of the worn out nylon ones that were in them before.....

post-4321-0-18378600-1416527407_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-37055300-1416527414_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-92756400-1416527424_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-96090600-1416527436_thumb.jp

going to go look at Paul's mega chute thread now.......

Edited by Martin
  • Like 1

Martin

Hey Martin check out my extra tall chute thread again when u have a chance. Your height will be just fine I was loving my extra tall chute today and I'm at about 36" off the top of the blower. Also u might want to make a front piece for the lower section. I added one on just to try it and was much happier with the results.

videos look good Paul.

mine stands at 30 inches and I'm thinking its a little high......36 inches? might need some aircraft warning lights on that thing!!!!

I'm thinking about making a small front piece for mine, but i really would like to play in the snow with it as is, if i ever get it finished and we ever get some snow.........

sorry, buffalo members...... :ROTF:

• Like 2

gwest_ca

Hope you replace the spring pins on the wheels with cotter pins. They are not going to stay in there and don't want to see you lose those wheels.

Garry

• Like 2

PaulC

Martin I personally thought mine was ridiculously huge at first but after being in the driver seat and using it as much as I did I think its just right!!

At least have the piece for the front ready when you start using it. It made mine work so much better.

• Like 1

Digger 66

W O W  !! 

Looks fantastic & will probably last many , many years .

The only thing I've found about PC-ing is it's tough to "touch-up" once it's chipped .

Are you going to fab up some type of remote deflector control ?  :eusa-think:

• Like 1

Martin

Hope you replace the spring pins on the wheels with cotter pins. They are not going to stay in there and don't want to see you lose those wheels.

Garry

Garry, they will get proper cotter pins. i use the hairclip pins a lot while assembling. makes it easy to take things off if you need to. same goes for roll pins, i don't like to finish things off until the whole thing is assembled unless I've done it many times before, or I'm really organized and i know what i am doing, which isn't that often anymore....

thanks for saying something though, i wouldn't want somebody else to do the same and think its the right way to do it. sometimes those spring pins have a return on one leg to stop them coming out, but i prefer the split pins (or cotter pins) for something more secure......

Martin

W O W  !! 

Looks fantastic & will probably last many , many years .

The only thing I've found about PC-ing is it's tough to "touch-up" once it's chipped .

Are you going to fab up some type of remote deflector control ?  :eusa-think:

thanks,

we touch up parts at work with brush in cap small bottles of liquid paint we have made up. the powder isn't really that thick and touch up can be disguised fairly well. thats not to say touching up in the middle of a panel is going to be invisible to the eye or anything, but edges touch up fairly well like that. we will mask off and aerosol damaged areas, but that hardly ever turns out good enough for me. i do most of the touchup at work and have a few methods for making problems look better. scuffing can be buffed out somewhat, but like any paint, scratches are scratches and will require some material to fill them. i used to be all about wet paint, but for the past 15 years the powder has been very convienient and fast for me and I've learned to live with its downfalls, which really aren't that many. all the parts in this thread, i probably have 5 hours in finishing, not including the metal work. thats about 4 blasting and 1 painting. theres no waiting for the paint to cure either, i can pull the parts from the oven and after about an hour of cool down time they are as cured as they are ever going to get.

this blower is just going together to use as is. the chute was done because i don't like the look of the short chute. this blower was a basket case as far as being operable, it needed all the wear items, drive etc rebuilt to use. i would have rather paid $400-$500 for a tall chute in nice condition and not messed with this at all, but it was in a package deal with my c160 and for $100 to $150 it should be a nice operating unit. if i come across a nice 90s tall chute in the off season for the right price, this one will be sold off........