Martin

blower rebuild

Martin

with all the talk on here about snowblowers, i thought it was time to take a look at the one i got with my c160 purchase. not in the best condition, very tight and almost impossible to get any movement out of the auger and generally looking pretty sad. the main body is really beat up and has more than its fair share of cracks. so feeling like it was time to break the drought on working with the red stuff, i started to get stuck into it........

the auger shaft was my first plan of attack. frozen bearings that were tight on the shaft, it was a battle to get it apart. i could get some movement with a drift, beating on the end of the shaft, not easy but it was moving. then it didnt want to go any more, had about 8" of shaft out the other side, so i thought, well lets see if i can knock it back, and in the process knocked out one bearing from the auger as the end of the shaft didn't line up with the bearing id and just pushed it out. the end of the auger was free of the body so the bearing just fell out...... so i thought well lets get something long down in the auger center and knock the other bearing out of the other end of the auger tube. success. had just enough room to wiggle and turn out the auger and get it off the shaft. then i just cut off the bearing and removed the shaft from the main body........

the auger needs some work to get it looking right, looks like a history of hitting hard objects. i want to replace bearings, fix all the cracks, clean it up and paint it and put it to use.

heres how it ended up tonight, before id had enough.........

post-4321-0-30706900-1355967573_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-14281700-1355967628_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-15902600-1355967649_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-77231300-1355967668_thumb.jp

need to get a list together of bearing part numbers, i will start searching, if anyone has some part numbers to throw my way to save me some time, it would be much appreciated.....

Edited by Martin
  • Like 3

Kelly

Can't help you on the part no.s I know they used a few different bearings and shaft sizes over the years, like the main drive shaft older ones are 3/4" newer are 7/8" looks like the sraper on the bottom is pretty worn but mainly on one side, are you going to powder this??

• Like 1

Martin

the bearings on this one are 3/4. yes its going to get blasted and powdered. i thought it would be nice to use. i have a 24" two stage walk behind that i use mainly, but any excuse to get the tractors out. i was going to just set one up with a blade and use the walk behind for everything else, but the wh blower is just sitting there taking up room and useless the way it is, so why not fix her up and get some use out of it. its just a short chute and ive never used a single stage like this before so it will be interesting.

i think that wear blade is going to need some work, not only is it worn more on one side, it had a big hit in the middle and got torn up. hard to see in the pic though.

• Like 1

Kelly

You do good work, it will be as good as new in no time.

• Like 1

Martin

Thanks Kelly, so do you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

Martin: Good to see you taking on this snowthrower rebuild. The detailed work you do and your computer postings should help a lot of other folks too.

We have about three inches of snow now and lots of blowing wind. We did not have anything on the ground at 4:30!

• Like 1

Martin

we have about the same on the ground and another 3 in the air being blown sideways by the 40 mph+ winds!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Rebuilt my single stage in 2009. Model no. 6-6212-6

auger shaft brg P/N 101480

jack shaft brg P/N 107744

• Like 1

Martin

got the auger straightened, and looking a whole lot better. blasted and threw some powder at it.......

post-4321-0-89739900-1356141347_thumb.jp

Edited by Martin
  • Like 4

Martin

after a small break the last week or so it was time to get working on this thing again. i needed to get it totally apart so straightening of the blower housing can be done. i also need to weld up many cracks and then get everything blasted before powder coating it. most of the small parts that are ok to use again were just removed and put aside, i will take them in and refinish them before the rest is ready to paint. the drive shaft was a real pain to get out, bearings seized and just a pain in the rear. perseverance got it done, bearings are shot, both need replacing, the shaft is worn badly where the right side bearing runs on the shaft (next to the drive pulley) so its going to need building up with weld and grinding.....

pulled the rest of it apart and started to work on the housing. scraper bar, beside being worn on one side, is bent bad in the middle like it took a real hard hit from the front and moved the center about an inch back. the auger was rubbing there as well and looks like theres been some major abuse in its life. i already have the auger straightened so i placed it back in the housing and proceeded to measure and work out what straightening needed to happen. i got the scraper bar straight by supporting each end and using a bottle jack applied pressure to the middle to push it back straight.

heres some pics of todays adventure......

first i hooked up the blower to the c125 as it probably will end up there when its done.

post-4321-0-71935200-1356815623_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-74197200-1356815642_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-65218500-1356815659_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-80362000-1356815676_thumb.jp

nasty previous repair work....

post-4321-0-48996700-1356815696_thumb.jp

shaft wear from loose bearing collar.

post-4321-0-50675600-1356815713_thumb.jp

stripped right down, its hard to see here but that scraper has a real kick in the middle.....

post-4321-0-88678600-1356815732_thumb.jp

typical of the bearings on this thing.....

post-4321-0-82546100-1356815747_thumb.jp

anyone have a pic of the full decal on the left here?.....

post-4321-0-47824600-1356815768_thumb.jp

one of the many cracked areas to fix.....

post-4321-0-65133000-1356815787_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Martin

heres some more.......

auger back in housing to check clearance with housing......

post-4321-0-52662600-1356816541_thumb.jp

thinking about using these skids on the blower instead of the wheeled height adjustment. they are off my ariens walk behind, i replaced them with poly skids.

post-4321-0-31107100-1356816558_thumb.jp

the poly skids on my ariens, which could be a better option than the steel, they really cut down on the amount of marking on my driveways......

post-4321-0-37650000-1356816579_thumb.jp

scraper bar all straightened, i thought i had a good previous pic of it bent, but nope. need to do a bunch more work on this to make it usable again though, the front needs building back up. im also thinking of adding a bolt on scraper instead of reworking whats there. at least when the bolt on one wears out it can be replaced easily.....

post-4321-0-28310000-1356816598_thumb.jp

drive sprocket, is this amount of wear ok on this or not? im tempted to reuse it but looking for opinions.....

post-4321-0-87228200-1356816615_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-89873700-1356816630_thumb.jp

Edited by Martin
  • Like 1

sorekiwi

I've seen sprockets much worse than that Martin. The idler sprockets on my blower had points so sharp you could puncture yourself on them.

A good source for sprockets etc is: http://www.surpluscenter.com/

Project is looking good!

Whats an Aussie know about snow? Which part of Oz do you come from?

• Like 1

Martin

thanks mike, both idlers and the auger sprocket are real nice, just that small drive one thats bad. the idlers were really tight but i have them and the chain soaking in diesel and some other nasty stuff right now and they are coming loose real nice. even the chain is loosening up and the individual links are freeing up.

im from adelaide, which is not really known for its snow! we do get some rain in the winter months, now heat and drought, well thats another story..........

Edited by Martin
  • Like 2

Wyattrrp

On my 79360 Blower the drive shaft gear I think is the 11 tooth #40 chain gear with 2 set screws and shaft Woodruff key. Here is a link to Thebigbearing.com site.

http://www.thebigbearingstore.com/servlet/the-1225/11-Tooth-Sprocket-for/Detail

Check the shaft diameter as mine is 7/8th and others are different.

Wyatt

• Like 1

Wyattrrp

If not same as I think yours shows more teeth, at thebigbearingstore.com click Rollerchain then sprockets then #40and choos e your gear tooth #

• Like 1

Martin

thanks, but my shaft is 3/4. i searched a bit earlier and came up with a mcmaster part number for one with a 3/4 shaft. heres a post with some other parts references for the earlier blowers.....

just doing a search for auger bearings or sprockets comes up with a bunch of info.....

ive also looked again at bob maynards great thread on insert bearings too......

have i said before how awesome this forum is......

• Like 1

Wyattrrp

Sorry it is thebigbearingstore.com not the theBigbearing.com. typo but the link is ok above.

• Like 1

Fun Engineer

Your doing a great job as usual Martin.

• Like 1

855ownerJoel
post-8621-0-01905500-1356903273_thumb.jp Here is the picture off mine. I need to rebuild blower this summer.
  • Like 1

can whlvr

great job as per usual,with the detail at which you do your rebuilding i would replace every thing,then after its all done it will be better than new,and the only old part is the auger gear which looks fine,new idlers,new bearings,chain,shaft,drive gear,2 pullies ,i know it adds up fast,but then youve got total reliabilitie

• Like 1

Martin

searching for bearing numbers for the blower above, i came across this thread......

well, I've dragged it out of hiding and am going to try to at least finish this thing, its only been 2 years since i started it..........

:hide:

• Like 2

mbarb54

I have a 06-42ST04 blower. OEM bearing part numbers are: 107743 ($77.99), 107744 ($79.93), 101480 ($34.89 x 2) Prices were from Partstree

• Like 1

Martin

Thank you for the numbers but I'm going elsewhere for bearings. Will post numbers and prices when they are here. Also this ones morphing into a tall chute courtesy of some home grown metal work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

PaulC

Hey Martin im also fixing up a blower that I just got. Not a complete restore like you always do just making the necessary parts and getting it running good, then will probably just paint it down the line.

When you mentioned straightening the auger are you just talking the fins? or length wise so its spins true? if its length wise how did you do it? I am planning that the one im working on is going to run wobbly so I thought I could try to straighten it with heat?

The one I picked up didn't have a chute at all so I made one also. It is actually a tall chute model. Im planning that if it works better then my other short chute model I will then convert that one. My sizing was a bit off so this first revision is excessively tall but I since got the correct sizes and already plan to make a new one.

Here is my crazy tall first version im definitely gonna keep it to try out at some point hahapost-8772-0-01950500-1415800079_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Martin

the auger was straightened mainly in the fin area, lots of bent edges etc. i spun it afterwards and it needed just a slight tweak, blocked both ends and wedged a lever in the middle to work it out. i spun it again tonight and its almost perfect. this thing looked like it had passed a few big rocks in its time, the shell is real beat up just below the chute. i straightened the shell a little as well, but the metal is stretched. not going to spend time cutting it out and replacing it. it will get a new piece welded in along the bottom (cutting edge) but I'm just about done spending time on the cosmetics other than paint.....

i will get this one going and use it without making it look perfect. one of my driveways is gravel and although its packed real good, I've picked up the odd piece with my walk behind 24". 

right now I'm getting bearings etc. hopefully get some powder on it this week or next. still need to fabricate the chute as well.....

and I'm interested to see how that chute of yours performs.....

Edited by Martin
  • Like 1