Sign in to follow this  
VinsRJ

1954 RJ ProtoType Project

neil

great job of Hood Vin, could i ask what you used at a  mould realease agent  to separate the two hoods ?

I have done quite a bit of fibre glass work myself in the past .

How many coats of Fibre glass did you do to create the hood ?

VinsRJ

great job of Hood Vin, could i ask what you used at a  mould realease agent  to separate the two hoods ?

I have done quite a bit of fibre glass work myself in the past .

How many coats of Fibre glass did you do to create the hood ?

Now this is funny, I just used a plastic trash bag as the mold release... just pulled it off and pealed the bag out.

As for coats... I used what I felt gave a good build of material. I wanted it to be strong enough not to flex but thin enough to look correct. The outside has been sanded arrow straight... the inside has been left ruff... so you know its fiberglass. If you have ever seen a fiberglass hood on a Sr. that is the way the Ponds would have most likely have left the RJ hood... nice on the outside and ruff on the inside.

I will have to take a couple pics of the parts which I have made... I thought I had more pics but with all of the vid making I haven't really taken that many pics.

A couple new vids will come this weekend, The frame has been blasted and cleaned, the motor is just about ready for paint and the blower cover has been modified for the Schnacke.

Edited by VinsRJ
  • Like 2

VinsRJ

Spent the entire day yesterday painting (base/clear) the RJ fiber glass hood... light scuff/buff and then the a mad dash of assembly... PA we're coming for ya...

post-1597-0-94036900-1370258659_thumb.jp

Edited by VinsRJ
  • Like 4

posifour11

That's gonna look great!

stevebo

Looking nice Vin. Can't wait to see it finished.

GlenPettit

Very, very impressive.

Ever consider that there may be many others out there needing a new/replacement hood?

Jake Kuhn

That turned out amazing vince! I saw the picture on facebook your brother posted, was just about ready to drool. LOL

AMC RULES

Even your teaser shot looks awesome Vin.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

dclarke

Very nice, Vin. :bow-blue: That tractor will attract a crowd at the show..... That's for sure!

VinsRJ

Thanks!

As of today everything is pretty much painted. I'm just waiting for a bunch of parts to come in from the plater so I can finish putting the motor together. The short block is finished but in classic Briggs fashion you can't torque the head without the head tin being ready. But, the head tin cannot be made ready until the gov parts are finish plated... the left hand thread Schnacke flywheel nut I machined is at the plater also... so I can't even install the flywheel... I'm a little nervous about the motor... can you tell? LOL!

Edited by VinsRJ

wallfish

What's to be nervous about?   

VinsRJ

What's to be nervous about?   

If hot rod plater is not done soon... :violence-blades:

whtractors24

that hood is sweet!!!! :bow-blue:

Lars

:eek:  that hood :bow-blue: .. Keep that good work up and you will have a REAL QUEEN :)

AMC RULES

So, how's it coming along...is it soup yet Vin?    :popcorn: 

VinsRJ

Its a roller right now... I was hoping to finish up the motor today but I had a couple of things around the house that needed to get done and ran out of time. I'll have a better up date in the next 24-48 hours. Thanks!

• Like 2

chris11

Vin very nice man cant wait to see it done. :bow-blue:  :bow-blue:  :bow-blue:

VinsRJ

Well... to be expected... the finishing issues are starting to come to the surface so to speak: 1) The clear on the fuel tank bracket decided to mess up and now there is a white haze on a couple of the edges. I don't believe it has to do with moisture as the bracket has been painted for about 2 months and looked perfect. The haze developed during the buffing process. I'm just going to have to live with it as I have run out of time personally between today and the show next week in order to fix it. (daughter's b-day is this weekend and the wife has BIG plans). 2) It was always planned for this tractor to be a show/trailer queen and its coming out that way... I still have a bunch of odds and ends to complete and with the lack of time... its looking to be a mad dash.

The gov on the Model 8 is also becoming and issue in refernce to set-up...

I'm under new managment... keep them original and patina covered... LOL!

Edited by VinsRJ

AMC RULES

The disease is called Obsessive-compulsive disorder for a reason Vin.   :)

I hope these minor issues won't keep you from making the show with this tractor in tow, you can always go back and fix 'em later. 

VinsRJ

Well here it was all finished up for the WH Show.

Thanks to everyone who stopped by!

post-1597-0-68747200-1372035436_thumb.jp

• Like 3

rmaynard

Vin,

That was one beautiful piece of work. Here is my picture of you, early Friday morning (about 6:04 a.m.) with the machine.

post-2221-0-30549500-1372035914_thumb.jp

• Like 2

dclarke

Glad you got it done, Vin.... Absolutely Beautiful.  :bow-blue:

buckrancher

what can I say other than a fantastic job Vince I really enjoyed looking your tractor over ,simply beautiful

but I do think running after that trailer that went by with the RJ35 carcase and diving in it may have been a bit over the top :ychain:

Brian

Jake Kuhn

WOW! That is one amazing piece! Excellent job Vince! :bow-blue: :bow-blue: :bow-blue:

Ken B

I got to sit next to the Proto type for two days as Stevebo had a tent set up right next to Vin. All I've got to say is these two words...Museum Quality.