Sign in to follow this  
VinsRJ

1954 RJ ProtoType Project

VinsRJ

For some time I have wanted to biuld a clone of the 1954 RJ Prototype tractor on the cover of Mike Martino's 2nd Edition and also feachered in the very early 1955 RJ ad (my avatar). I looked for about a year before finding what I felt was the perfect RJ in order to base the project on.

What I started out with was a ruff condition 1955 Cable Steer RJ35. It was missing the hood, engine, seat, original front rims and most of the cable steer parts. It did although have the veri drive, belt guard and rear drive intact.

Some of the parts which I had to make in order to clone the Prototype correctly was the fiberglass RJ hood, pilot steering wheel, most, if not all of cable steer parts and speed selector items.

Posted below is a pic of what I started with and the biuld of the fiberglass RJ hood.

If you click the below link you will be forwarded to my YouTube Channel (VinsGN) documenting the project. There are 11 parts so far starting with the basic overview of the tractor to the biuld of the hood and the fabrication of the pilot steering wheel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/VinsGN/videos?view=0

Subscribe to my Channel and follow the biuld. Thanks Vince

post-1597-0-96259500-1355966965_thumb.jp

post-1597-0-26833700-1355966987_thumb.jp

post-1597-0-65472300-1355966996_thumb.jp

• Like 6

Jake Kuhn

Vince, I have been watching your videos and it is looking fantastic! :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: I can't wait to see when you get it all finished up!

AMC RULES

Very cool looking :wh: project Vin. :thumbs:

dclarke

I just signed up Vince, this is going to be interesting.... Great work so far! :thumbs:

fireman

I'm surprised you let the "cat out the bag" before the show Vin. I kept my promise and didn't tell a sole!

312Hydro

Beautiful work,Vin! Really like the fabrication and can't wait to see it together.. :handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-thumbupright:

Watched all 11 vids, thanks for making them.

Tankman

Like awesome, great work. Excellent videos too!

All around wonderful. Of course, thanks for sharing. :woohoo:

Ken B

Looking fantastic Vin! I'm really enjoying all of the custom fab work you are doing. Its gonna be a real hit at the show no doubt!

KATO

Nice work.... Love it :bow-blue: :bow-blue: :bow-blue:

Lars

Wow thats is a really interesting build Vin..i like all the work you have done to it so far!!

VinsRJ

Thanks a lot guys... I appreciate all of the comments.

Its my hope to have the tractor completed for the 2013 WH Show. 99% of the fab work is completed, I just need to repair the rear hubs and then start the sand blasting nightmare, LOL! Its my plan to continue updating my YouTube Channel as meaningful progress is completed. Everything about the tractor will be 100%, all new bushings, bearings and basicly a NOS Briggs Model 8 motor.

As you can see from the attached pics I used a RJ hood as the buck for the fiberglass hood. I made the top and nose in two parts and them married them together. What a mess it made.

post-1597-0-60532800-1356034388_thumb.jp

post-1597-0-89030000-1356034395_thumb.jp

post-1597-0-28561000-1356034403_thumb.jp

• Like 3

fireman

I told Vin he should reproduce these hoods and sell them to fund his Tractor hobby. I know i'd pay in excess of $300 for one in just the ruff finish and do the rest myself!

wallfish

We had the chance to see Vin's fiberglass hood in person at one of the engine shows. That thing came out amazing!

Looking forward to seeing the entire tractor completed

chevelletown

Is this the same tire?

rjtire_zps5aeff309.jpg

VinsRJ

Is this the same tire?

rjtire_zps5aeff309.jpg

That is the tire I am looking for. You know where there is a pair?

Vin

chevelletown

You are welcome to this pair. I'll have to take a better look at the condition and get you some pics.

SousaKerry

I have a pair of those on my 54 walk behind but they are about as rotten as can be with huge rips

VinsRJ

You are welcome to this pair. I'll have to take a better look at the condition and get you some pics.

PM sent, Thanks!

I have a pair of those on my 54 walk behind but they are about as rotten as can be with huge rips

That is pretty much the condition I have found the couple pairs I've located.

• Like 1

chris11

Really cool project vin, Cant wait to see more.

HENRYG

PRETTY WORK VIN

VinsRJ

Thanks!... The Model 8 motor is almost all back togerther. The plan is to sand blast the frame this weekend.

Edited by VinsRJ
  • Like 3

AMC RULES

Jonesin' for an update Vin...how's it coming along?  

VinsRJ

I wish I could say a lot has been accomplished... over the last month or so a bunch of things have come up which have slowed the process to almost a stop.

I was able to sand blast the frame yesterday and the motor is about 75-80% complete. My plan is to start the paintng process in the next couple of weekends.

Its going to be a close one... may have a couple parts drying on the way to the show, LOL!

Edited by VinsRJ
  • Like 1

COMMANDO6

Its going to be a close one... may have a couple parts drying on the way to the show, LOL!

Well whatever it takes to get it there! I think it's so cool how you made the fiberglass hood. I want to get some practice and skill at fiberglass. Do you have some pics of the parts you fabricated you can post?

VinsRJ

I can get some pics tonight. Thanks for your interest!