Sign in to follow this  
Doubletrouble

single stage snowblower question

Doubletrouble

I got mine on the work horse 800 today. Oiled the chain, bearings are non-servicable so not able to grease them. Question is: Are these things normally noisy or is it possible that I have some bearing work in my future? I tried squirting some oil down along side each bearing in the hopes that it would work it's way in there but dont think it worked. I'd like to tear it apart and do an overhaul on it but not til next year some time. Thanks for any input.

varosd

how noisy? I mean with the engine running and the auger spinning it's pretty loud since its a single stage perhaps the chain needs to be tightened up or replaced? anyway to video it and post it on here running? :rolleyes:

wallfish

If it is the bearings making noise then they should be replaced.

can whlvr

they are quite loud,i would check for any play on the auger and sprocket bar,all the singles i have have needed all the bearings done when i got them

Kelly

Check the chain, you can adjust it with the bottom idler gear it slides about a 1" or so, if at the bottom of adjustment it's time for a new chain, also check the idler gears the bearings go bad in them often, both the chain and gears can be had at a TSC #40 chain and gears, while your at it make sure the small drive gear is good on the main drive shaft, they get worn with sloppy chains.

Doubletrouble

I can try to video it with audio. It'll be a day or two though. Back to work tonight, long days everyday this week. I'll have to check the idlers, the adjustable idler isn't quite all the way to the end of it's travel. It almost sounds like the auger is rubbing somewhere but I looked for wear marks on the edges and no tell tale signs. I'll have to carefully feel around manually (not running of course) to see if there is any interference. Maybe remove the belt and turn it by hand. I hope to get through this season with no trouble, next summer I'd like to tear it completely apart and install all new bearings and chain and idlers. A good coat of paint would be nice to and make a pair of the extenders that bolt to the sides.

Kelly

Ok this is hard to explain but if the blower was ran in to something solid it can bend the housing and make the auger rub, look for cracks in the housing near where the main mount is welded to the auger housing, right on top, if it is cracked it could be caused for running in to something like I said, the mounting area stays put as it is mounted to the tractor but the housing can from the bottom rotate back causing the auger to rub the back of the housing at the cracks, I know I hit some ice a few years ago and this happened, and I have had other blowers here that looked like the same thing happened, I fixed mine and welded everything up and reinforced it.

I'll try to get pics of the area I'm talking about.

Kelly

Here is the area I was talking about in fact I have one blower that is cracked in that spot, and you can see where the auger has rubbed, I could not get pics of the rub spot it is raining and dark.

Well if you look at the one pic you can see on the outside, the rusty lines those are raised areas where the auger pushed back on the housing.

post-85-0-93992800-1355710489_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-07109900-1355710594_thumb.jpg

Dieselcowboy

I have noticed the same thing with my blower. Haven't even had it in the snow yet but it sure is loud. Everything is sound on this one just loud when it runs. Smooth when rolled over by hand.

Doubletrouble

Thanks kelly. I see what you mean and where. I'll check it out and get back to ya. It probably wont be til tomorrow though. Long day at work, time for bed. I need to PM you also. Lookin for a part you may have.

855ownerJoel

My blower was cracked in that same location when I bought it. Now I will have to be careful since Kelly educated me on how it can happen....Thanks, Kelly

Kelly

If you look at the blower as it is mounted on the tractor you can see how this can happen, the strong center part where it mounts to the tractor will stay put, the outside where the wings are if you hit ice or something that does not move down low, it will push the bottom of the housing back, pulling down on the front top of the housing kinda twisting it, that is why the cracks form, and as all this is happening, the auger is moving backwards, BUT the part of the housing where the mount is welded on does not move, so the auger rubs right there or in a extreme case gets caught.

Doubletrouble

I checked mine for cracks and damage like you described, none that I can see. It's accually in very good condition. I did take a short video with my phone but for some reason there isnt any audio. I did notice a little slop in the chain today though. Maybe if I snug that up a little she'll quiet down some. It doesnt seem to be quite as loud as the other day. Wondering if some of the oil crept into the bearings? I did notice to that the chute and rollers rattle some, that accounts for some of the noise. I think I'll be in good shape this winter. i still want to overhaul it next year just as a preventative measure. ( I also want to paint it to make it look good on the tractor )

TT

The newer throwers do quiet down considerably when under load.

You don't need oil & grease - you just need some snow! :banana-skier: :occasion-snowman:

Doubletrouble

I wouldn't mind some for christmas but it can go away the day after! lol I do like using the horse with the blower on it. Most people dont expect it to toss snow as far as it does. My neighbor has a craftsman with a blower mounted up. His is a 16.5 horse. I told him I'd be willing to bet my little 8hp would throw snow farther! He kinda chuckled. He'll see, I'll throw it across the road into his yard. lol

Doubletrouble

This is a couple years ago at our other house.

DSCF1317.jpg

TT

I hear ya on donating snow to the neighbors! :handgestures-thumbup:

This is from '08.....

Tossing the snow over the power lines with a short chute '86 thrower on a 416-H:

3108106.jpg

The same thrower converted to a tall chute:

011809snow012-1.jpg

Doubletrouble

The tall chute seems to give a little more control on where it goes. Is that the advantage to the conversion?

TT

I did it to get away from the prehistoric rotation cable, but yes - it does tend to act like a choke on a shotgun.

Doubletrouble

I have to say I'm not a big fan of the cable rotation but it seems to work so...... I am impressed with the way the snowblower works even on a little 8hp like mine. She powers right through.