AMC RULES

Frame Damage?

TT

Dozer blades and moldboard plows seem to have that effect on tranz mounting plates.

A piece of 10 gauge plate properly fitted and welded in front of the original plate would be plenty for a "little" tractor - even if it will be a worker.

The contraption pictured above is great for pulling tractors, but the diagonal braces will interfere with certain implements.

Don1977

What's the problem? After 40+ years its finally broken in! Ohhhh I kill me!

Make a 1/4"plate to cover the entire are like a giant washer. And put her back together. Then weld it in place. Come on now you've probably commented on a dozen posts just like this. You'll be fine!

The 1/4" plate to cover the entire area would be the best on one with a flat frame plate. Mine has two formed ridges that will hold the plate off by 3/16" or 1/4". I not sure you could keep the bolts tight with that air space between the plates with out adding some filler strips behind the full plate. The other way would be to use a 3/8" thick plate and mill or grind out two grooves for the ridges.

• Like 1

1973Auto

That was my concern. I knew everything would move back by the plate thickness, that is why I was thinking about only using 12 ga steel. But I will probably have less frustration by welding and bolting to the inside. Shimming and spacing everything thing else will probably not be the best coarse of action. Thanks all, I'll post some pics as I get into it.

Martin

just my 2 cents here, but i think unless you are going to be working the tractor and abusing it with plow blades like would have caused the damage to begin with, i think adding the extra plate is somewhat overkill......

just vee out the cracks like kelly mentioned up earlier in the thread and weld them up, or have someone who is proficient at welding do it for you.....

ive fixed three of the four ive restored/rebuilt with just welding up the cracks and smoothing them out and they will be fine. i dont have extra plates on them, i dont want the frames to look any different from how they were, the main reason they cracked in the first place is from abuse with plowing, and im not going to abuse them in the same way......

even my c125 that will be used with a blade wont be treated like it was, or my others were, in their 'past' lives by previous owners.........

im not saying i won't use plows with them anymore, just not ramming them into built up snow or dirt and causing the frame extra stress. if you make the frame too strong whats going to break next? the trans itself, now that would be a problem fix.........

Edited by Martin
  • Like 1

Duff

Not to to stir the pot, so please take the question that follows as purely to increase my own knowledge: Is it possible with years of use - not abuse - that simple metal fatigue could eventually cause cracks in the tranny mounting plate? :huhs: I've got a one-owner 312-8 that never had a plow on it in its life and surely wasn't abused, but it had a hairline crack started by one of the bolt holes? It's since been welded and plated.

Duff :thumbs:

TT

Constant bouncing across a rough yard is probably enough to eventually cause cracks in the tranz mounting plate.

A good bounce off of a curb, trailer, or pick-up truck might also cause damage to the mounting plate, as could another vehicle running into the rear tire at the right angle and/or speed.

I wouldn't rule out wheelies as being a source of enough stress to crack the mounting plate either. (if the front tires slam back to the ground)

HimmelsM

Thanks for the inspiration everyone. My C160 plate is cracked completely apart. I think that I can make the plate, but I am not a welder. This will be an interesting project.

Mark

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:wwp:

buckrancher

welded a 1/8" thick plate on the inside and redrilled holes

100_3196.jpg

• Like 1

Coadster32

I had a crack forming on one of the mounting holes on my 854. I just used a plate, but mine wasn't as bad as yours. 

HimmelsM

I was going to take Pic's as we were tearing it down, but my camera batteries were dead. I'll get some Pic's this weekend. I still need to get the Clutch Arm apart and out of the way. I am debating about taking the front axil off, If I can work around it. Mark

• Like 1

TT

Worst I recall (C-160 automatic used for stump pulling) :

100_0468.jpg

Photo courtesy of member "Rod(NASNUT)"

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:scared-eek:    :omg: