Sign in to follow this  
handyman

Grader blade question

handyman

Am I remembering correct that there are two types of mid mount grader blades. One that mount from the mid mount quick tach and one that mounts from the rear end. Is one better than the other and for what reason. I would like to get one. If you have one, what are they good for and not good for. Thanks.

WheelHorse_of_course

I don't have one so this is all speculation... :whistle:B)

The idea of a mid blade is that it is better at leveling off mounds - think about it, if the front an back are straddling the mound the blade is attacking it.

That said, I suspect the biggest real advantage is that it is so easy to add down pressure by standing on it.

I suspect that process works best with a horse old enough not to have running boards.

Nick

The mid grader blade is great for leveling gravel or dirt. I think the mid mounting allows it to have a better depth control than a snow/dozer blade. Ive used my home built rear mounted version to tear up the drive and level it, pull gravel out of the yard after winter plowing, and even have tackled large piles of gravel with it. It has also worked well to make a waterway along the drive by standing on one corner.

The Front VS Rear mounted grader discussion has came up before. Ive never used a front mounted style so I cant say if one is better than the other. I started to build a front mount (pull style) blade but didnt yet finish it for the comparison testing. I like the rear mount but thats what Ive always used.

If ya want to waste 2:11 I made a video last winter playing with the grader blade in an ice/snow storm. Strange I never shot video in the summer. B)

Youtube grader video

th_paint004.jpg

rustbucket

the mid mount one your pulling the blade and its frame the rear mount your pushing. personaly if i had one id rather pull then push.

kpinnc

If ya want to waste 2:11 I made a video last winter playing with the grader blade in an ice/snow storm. Strange I never shot video in the summer.

For just a moment Nick, I thought the later half of your video was normal speed. You were about to get a PM from me wondering how you were moving so fast! B)

Kevin

WH_Hobie

i would say the one you pull because the other one won't float over rocks and stuff it will catch and may mess something up on the tractor B)

KyBlue

Strange I never shot video in the summer.

You just like making the camera holder freeze their buns off!!