Sign in to follow this  
seth0804

hydrolic lift

seth0804

Has anyone added a hydraulic pump to a wheel horse standard tractor, I like the 8 speed rearends, but I want to add a hydraulic lift to the tractor. Does anyone know an easy way that is not to expensive and can you use a power steering pump for this??? Thanks

CRE1992

Has anyone added a hydraulic pump to a wheel horse standard tractor, I like the 8 speed rearends, but I want to add a hydraulic lift to the tractor. Does anyone know an easy way that is not to expensive and can you use a power steering pump for this??? Thanks

Your better off just buying another wheel horse with hydraulics...

Edited by CRE1992

kpinnc

If you're handy in the shop, adding hydraulics with a power steering pump is easy.

The hard part is getting the flow right. A steering pump is a high volume pump, meaning the cylinder tends to move a bit too fast. Makes for "jerky" motions on an attachment.

Using a larger-bore hydraulic cylinder helps some. You just have to experiment with different things.

SousaKerry

Also the power steering pump may not generate enough pressure. There are some aftermarket packaged units for applications like this (Wheel Horse even used em in the early 60's) You need to be able to develop about 700 PSI to use a stock Wheel Horse cylinder. Then you need the directional valve and a pressure relief valve, sometimes but not always built into the pump. And of coarse a reservoir for the oil.

Some people have used electric actuators for this also.

JackC

Electric lifts were used with the 8 speeds. They come up on eBay now and then.

Electric lifts were also used on some snow plows attached to jeeps and trucks but the units were bigger than what you would want on a garden tractor.

Here is a link to the kit manual:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/50699188/Toro-WheelHorse-Electric-Lift-Kit-owners-manual

squonk

I know a guy who was a Chevy mechanic with long ago He had a green tractor and used a P/S pump off a Vettte, and a reservoir off of a Caviler. It worked but when he raised the plow the front wheels just about came off the ground! :jaw:

littleredrider

I have an extra p/s pump off my big block in my car, saved it just for this reason. I've heard and seen many vehicles and equipment use them. I think Dodge used them for their plow pumps, didn't they?? Also look for older plow setups. I picked up a valve and pump off an old Chevy, and the valve looks like one off a D series....I'm gonna use it for my loader build...

KC9KAS

I know a guy who was a Chevy mechanic with long ago He had a green tractor and used a P/S pump off a Vettte, and a reservoir off of a Caviler. It worked but when he raised the plow the front wheels just about came off the ground! :jaw:

Are you talking about a moldboard plow (on the rear)?

baerpath

I have a 516 8spd with electric over hydralic setup from a rear hyd tail gate to power the three pt. Works fine. You do need an over sized battery though

Rollerman

Like Kevin has said a PS pump can be used & there are a lot of variations.

If your good with scrounging car parts or know someone that is, one can be adapted pretty affordably.

Duane mentioned an electric over hydraulic pump, these work pretty good & like he mentioned will work the battery especially if you are useing an implement that being raised up & down a lot like a snow plow.

I had an electric over hydraulic setup on a 416-8 & even with a fresh battery I killed it a few times plowing snow.

Another option is to by parts & install your own hydraulics, ie pump, reservoir, & valve.

I'm slowly putting together a hydraulic lift on a short frame "mutt" tractor for a 3 point hitch on back.