Sign in to follow this  
Terry M

Lawn Ranger Snow Plow

Terry M

Iv'e been given the opportunity to acquire a snow plow/blade that fits my 60's Lawn Rangers. Although I think it would be a nice attatchment to have for a collection, I was wondering if wheel horse ever made rear wheel weights for the Lawn Ranger ? I'm guessing no because I can't ever remember seeing any, but thought it was worth it to ask.

littleredrider

They have an 8" rim, so 8" front weights might work? I have a plow for my ranger, and I didn't need any weight. Although the driveway is paved, it would peel the packed snow like an orange. Once it got to bare pavement it would lift the front wheels completely off the ground.

Terry M

They have an 8" rim, so 8" front weights might work? I have a plow for my ranger, and I didn't need any weight. Although the driveway is paved, it would peel the packed snow like an orange. Once it got to bare pavement it would lift the front wheels completely off the ground.

Thats Good to know. sounds like I don't need any weights, and it sounds like the lawn ranger actually can plow some snow. :occasion-snowman: I thought a small tractor in snow with those little wheels would make it look and act helpless. Thanks for the response. :handgestures-thumbupright:

rydogg

Terry, here are some 8 inch wheel weights I have I am not sure if they fit ranger rear wheels but I will check them later tonight....they are heavy I would guess 40 to 50 lbs (Yellow ones are 12" I think).

wheelhorse295-1.jpg

sscotsman

Are Lawn Rangers really powerful enough to do real snow plowing?

They weren't intended to be true "Garden Tractors"..they are more "light duty" Lawn Tractors..

nothing wrong with that! ;) but they do have limits..

they weren't designed or intended to do much more than mow the lawn..

I just don't want to see anyone damage or "kill" one by severely over-taxing it beyond its limits..

(of course, it depends on the severity of the snow-fall..but still, some machines simply aren't intended for certain jobs..)

thoughts?

Scot

Rollerman

Iv'e been given the opportunity to acquire a snow plow/blade that fits my 60's Lawn Rangers. Although I think it would be a nice attatchment to have for a collection, I was wondering if wheel horse ever made rear wheel weights for the Lawn Ranger ? I'm guessing no because I can't ever remember seeing any, but thought it was worth it to ask.

Terry I run a generic cast iron wheel weight, they are not make specific, they can be used on the front of back depending on rim size.

Wheel Horse OEM or any make of 8" wheel weight will work on a 64 to 68 Lawn Ranger, the 62-63 years had the narrow rear wheel/rim combination. Rangers after 68 are a different breed all together & used a vertical shaft engine.

Rangers didn't have holes drilled in the wheels, so to mount bolt in weights you;ll have to set them in the wheel, mark the hole location & drill.

Are Lawn Rangers really powerful enough to do real snow plowing?

They weren't intended to be true "Garden Tractors"..they are more "light duty" Lawn Tractors..

nothing wrong with that! ;) but they do have limits..

I just don't want to see anyone damage or "kill" one by severely over-taxing it beyond its limits..

(of course, it depends on the severity of the snow-fall..but still, some machines simply aren't intended for certain jobs..)

thoughts?

Scot the Lawn Ranger used the same parts as the other short frame Tucky powered Horses, like say for example the 653 or 656.

Ranger 62-68 did use an aluminium block H60 instead of the heavier cast iron HH60 Tucky 6HP engines, but the tire & wheel combo is the most obvious differance.

I was never a big Ranger fan myself, bought one for my son to beat on...he never got interested in it so I began useing it around the yard & became a Lawn Ranger convert.

I use mine for about anything...mowing, pulling a cart, pulling a 4'X2' lawn roller, & snow removal with a WH Ranger spec single stage blower.

It's been modified with an 8 speed from a 310-8, an HH70 Tucky, wheel weights, poly filled Duro ags, & a stack of weights on the rear hitch when I'm snow blowing.

Not to bad for a light duty LT.

2snoeremoveing.jpg

2011-11-05_17-27-08_473.jpg

• Like 3

sorekiwi

thoughts?

Scot

Havent killed mine yet:

IMG_3710.jpg

The roller is supposedly 700lbs full of water.

I'm probably going to plow with my Ranger this year. Suppose I'd better mount up the blade (its snowing right now...)

• Like 3

rydogg

My 653 and 604 are both H60 teckys...the lawn ranger is almost the same as the other horses of the same era the trans is a uni drive, frame and other components are basically the same as the other short frame tractors (cast iron) the only major difference is the tire size and fender pan. I wouldn't be afraid of overworking them they are well built, I have a friend that put a 20 or so hp twin on one and he uses it for tractor pulls.

• Like 1

littleredrider

Biggest thing to worry bout with this plow is it has no trip to it. So if you hit a curb or inanimate object, the tractor will stop dead and you are still going forward!! Also not the best for the plow/mount/tractor. Other was having to get off to angle it.

Mine plowed like a tank. No weights, pulley's changed so it would go little faster, and the K181 wasn't running 100%, and still pushed snow. Now mine was on blacktop, not sure how it would do on gravel or dirt. Was also running 18" Ags...

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

The Lawn Ranger is a 6 HP Lawn Tractor! Does a lot of things and I have not used weights on the wheels.

I have used chains for snow.

The lack of a spring or trip lever safety in the front blade makes the two underneath lift flat stock pieces vulnerable to bending if you hit something hard.

100_9398.jpg

100_9407.jpg

I had mine upgaded to higher quality harder steel. I have seen them with added steel flat stock and bars welded on to strenghten the lift system.

The Plow:

100_1243.jpg

100_1241.jpg

The lift pieces:

100_1256.jpg

Some Lawn Ranger in action photos and videos:

Dethatching

102_0339.jpg

Aerating the lawn

th_101_0030.jpg

Plowing

100_0507.jpg

Hauling:

100_7879.jpg

Mowing the Lawn:

th_100_8133.jpg

Snowblowing

100_7556.jpg

th_100_7604.jpg

And notice that I can use my legs to move the tractor when it gets stuck -an easy move!

Smiling Owner!

102_6853.jpg

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 2

Lane Ranger

And if you have not seen this youtube video of the modified Lawn Ranger with 1 inch spindels and an 8 speed transmission with the loader before this is an eye opener too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH4q6zILyxU

pfrederi

My L-107 is my go to tractor out of 10 WHs. She does everything I ask of it and she is a lot easier to get on and off than her bigger brethren.

• Like 1

Terry M

Thanks everybody for your input! :thanks: after reading all the comments I feel good about putting a snow plow on a lawn ranger. actually it is just going to be for my son to use on his ranger and not for any serious snow removel.

Thanks Ryan, I'll have to check out those wheel weights sometime.

Thanks rollerman for your input also.

Littleredrider, I'll have to maybe look into a k181 conversion some day

Thanks paul for the cool comment about lawn rangers.

LaneRanger, Thanks for all the Nice pics! That snowblower looks pretty cool Too!

Mike, your Lawn Ranger is still one of my favorites!!

• Like 1

littleredrider

I have 2 K181s now, still have the 13 horse on there now. One motor needs to be timed, pulled the cam out to change governor stuff, didn't even think to line up the marks putting it back together. I have just the one ranger now, a 63 and love it. It was my first horse, and still my favorite. I had a 67 that had the plow on it, and was really impressed with what it could do. I had a snow blower on the 63 with the 13 horse, that would go through some snow!!!!! Matter of fact, I put the big boy tires on it, and mounted up the blower this past weekend.

• Like 1

sorekiwi

I'm not sure that this applies to the later Rangers as well, but a normal short frame tractor plow will fit on an early Ranger with no problems.

IMG_1969.jpg

IMG_1972.jpg

Guess I'll find out this weekend if it still works with my duals!

• Like 3

Terry M

I'm not sure that this applies to the later Rangers as well, but a normal short frame tractor plow will fit on an early Ranger with no problems.

IMG_1969.jpg

IMG_1972.jpg

Guess I'll find out this weekend if it still works with my duals!

Just by looking at the first pic, I don't see a reason why the short frame snow plow wouldn't work on the 65-68 lawn rangers. Everything appears to look the same under the frame from front to back.
  • Like 1

littleredrider

They pretty much are the same, just smaller tires. The frame of the plow is low to the ground, but if on a level drive won't really matter anyways....

Terry M

I just broght home my lawnranger snowplow yesterday. But after looking at sorekiwi's lawn ranger thats pictured above, I think I'd rather have his set-up instead. I'm also guessing he has the bracket for the plow bolted to the trans. of his lawnranger also. although I can't tell if that older ranger has the same 5053 uni-drive trans as mine or not.(?) Just curious. :)

rydogg

Terry, contact me if you are interested in one of the short frame plows I currently have 3 I also have a rear axle plow bracket listed on ebay that I can sell you since it doesn't have a bid yet.

sorekiwi

I just broght home my lawnranger snowplow yesterday. But after looking at sorekiwi's lawn ranger thats pictured above, I think I'd rather have his set-up instead. I'm also guessing he has the bracket for the plow bolted to the trans. of his lawnranger also. although I can't tell if that older ranger has the same 5053 uni-drive trans as mine or not.(?) Just curious. :)

Thats just a normal 3/4 speed unidrive Terry. The axle bracket was the old style "in front of the axle: type. Here's a pic, pre-paint:

PICT10001.jpg

(Note: this particular bracket has the extra ears for mounting a hydraulic ram, but these arent needed).

The plow itself was just a normal 42" short frame blade. No modifications were needed to mount it.

I discovered last weekend that my duals wont allow me to use that setup anymore.. My inner wheels are inset too far and there isnt enough room between the tires. So I guess I'll be pushing snow with the 310 this year.

Some more pics of the old setup:

IMG_1970.jpg

IMG_1973.jpg

IMG_1977_1.jpg

(EDIT: Photobucket doing some weird stuff tonight!!)

• Like 1

Terry M

Thanks Mike for the info and pics. That plow looks right at home on your Lawn Ranger :handgestures-thumbupright:

Shynon

Terry

Let me know if you are not using the ranger plow. I may be interested.