Sign in to follow this  
limited12

Commando 7

limited12

I need some help and advice. Just picked up this Commando 7 and I need a little help. I got this one the other day and I would like to do a partial restoration for my 2 1/2 year old grandson. The model number is 1-4751. The serial number is 669468. From what i found, it's a 1970 Commando V7, 4 speed, with a tecumseh engine. I only have the model number for the engine which is SBV-197. Is this the correct engine? Does anyone know where I can get parts for this lawnmower? Below is a pic of the Wheel Horse and one of my grandson driving my wife's Panzer.

Thanks!

post-8253-0-32743700-1355271901.jpg

post-8253-0-16530500-1355271914.jpg

Kelly

According the the model list the engine should be a Tecumseh V70-125119

TT

"SBV" stands for Short Block - Vertical ~ meaning it has a replacement shortblock.

Look on the blower housing for the actual model number which should be 'V70'

The biggest potential problem with that model is the shifter (boot) seal. They are virtually impossible to find and they are below the oil level, so if they crack or tear the tractor is inoperable.

I had one given to me years ago by a friend who was gracious enough to flop it on my truck with the manure loader on his M Farmall. :thumbs2:

My son claimed it as his, so I stretched the frame, reworked the grille, installed bigger rear tires/wheels, and added a 12hp B&S engine:

cmdo7001.jpg

• Like 1

limited12

Thanks for the advice

Kevbo

"SBV" stands for Short Block - Vertical ~ meaning it has a replacement shortblock.

Look on the blower housing for the actual model number which should be 'V70'

The biggest potential problem with that model is the shifter (boot) seal. They are virtually impossible to find and they are below the oil level, so if they crack or tear the tractor is inoperable.

I had one given to me years ago by a friend who was gracious enough to flop it on my truck with the manure loader on his M Farmall. :thumbs2:

My son claimed it as his, so I stretched the frame, reworked the grille, installed bigger rear tires/wheels, and added a 12hp B&S engine:

Is this just a common problem with the Commando 7 only?

TT

Is this just a common problem with the Commando 7 only?

The 1969/70 Commando V7 & V8 models with the #5066 and #5067 Uni-Drive all use the p/n 8002 shifter seal.

I finally found a spare seal after the tractor was sold, but I learned to avoid all Wheel Horse models with vertical shaft engines. :handgestures-thumbup: