Sign in to follow this  
wh5208speed

Bagged a New Horse this past week!!

wh5208speed

I have been kind of laid back the past few years on buying Wheelhorses. I have settled into what I really like:

currently posses:

520-8

96' 314-H

two C-161-8

.....and several attachments to go along with these tractors.

I have been on the look out for a newer 60" deck for about 2 years. And for whatever reason I have not found one, nice enough, close enough, or at the right price. I had a 3 day work trip to Indianapolis last week. While sitting in the hotel room on Tuesday night surfing craigslist I stumbled onto what I thought was a typo.

1996 520-H with 680 hours, 60" deck, 36" tiller, 48" dozer blade with 520 completing kit for $700. The challenge at the time was that it was located in WV, about 7.5 hours from where I was. Unlike ebay where you can "buy it now", I figured someone would pounce on this deal, so I decided to go to bed. Two days later I left Indy at 12:30pm, and I decided to call and see if anyone had bought the tractor. He mentioned that someone was supposed to pick it up tonight, but he couldn't get it started. I told him that I would be interested in it, running or not, since my main reason was to get the mower deck. I told him to keep my phone number and if the person didn't want it I would come and get it.

About 2 hours later he called back and said the guy didn't want since he couldn't get it running today. He had bought an new Onan ignition control and still couldn't get it to start. I told him I was still interested in it and he said he would sell everything for $500, I never suggested a lower price he just offered. I told him I would come and get it tonight if that was okay with him. (Too many times I have let ones like this get away when someone else swoops in and buys it before you get there). I told him that I wanted it and I would be there at 9pm to pick it up (4 hour one way drive). I got there at 9 and picked it up. He told me that 3 people had called that evening wanting to buy it before I got there!! Everything was a little sun faded but in pretty decent shape. Got it all home at 2:15 am and realized I had drove about 11 hours that day.....I was beat!!!

The cool thing is it had all of the necessary parts for operation of the attachments. So many time you get a tractor and certain parts are missing.....but the rear lift assembly, idler pulleys for the tiller and belts were all there. Not sure what I am going to do with the 520 yet as I have yet to work on getting the motor running, but at least it won't matter since I got it at a steal to begin with.

Thad (Ohio)

• Like 4

AMC RULES

Sounds like Santa came early this year.

:wwp:

KC9KAS

Sounds like you made a really good deal...Oh, and you know the routine... :text-worthless:

JackC

Like driving all the way to the North Pole to meet with Santa. Nice Christmas present.

wh5208speed

I currently don't have the tractor at my house as I would take a few pics for ya'll. However, here is the craiglist posting and it does have a few photos in it.

http://morgantown.craigslist.org/grd/3449300956.html

Obviously the seat is trashed, but I am pretty darn happy considering the money I spent.

Thad (Ohio)

Wheel-N-It

Yeah running or not, that was a sweet deal. Congragulations!

Kelly

Even in ruff shape not running from what I see in the pics you did VERY well, I would have jumped on it, I sold a 60" as nice as that one looks for $400 so ya you did good.

danjmah

Congrats! Very Very Nice, and a GREAT DEAL too!

leeave96

Great buy. Sometimes I travel to between Cleveland and Erie PA and from time to time I go back to VA via Morgantown, not sure where Buchanan is in relation to it. Unfortunately I don't have a truck - which is OK with my Wife/Boss... :angry-nono::snooty::roll: :bow-blue:

Kevbo

Great deal man...I envy you for having a 520-8!! That is one of my dream tractors (I think they only made the 8 speed version in 1990). You sure got a deal, especially with all of those attachments. Someday I need to find a pull behind tiller...

:woohoo:

Shuboxlover

It's gonna suck for you to spend the holidays in JAIL...............since you STOLE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO freaking jealous right now!!!!!!!!

Congrats!!!!!!!!! :bow-blue: :handgestures-thumbup:

posifour11

Congrats.

welderman85

Sweet deal you stole that thing

Jake Kuhn

Nice score! :handgestures-thumbup:

Tankman

Looks like a dream come true! Very nice Christmas gift...Thanks in advance Santa! Can you throw in a new seat too?

Did you "bag" the Horse or "lasso" the Stallion? :-)

That Stud is worth a bunch of carrots!

"Obviously the seat is trashed, but I am pretty darn happy considering the money I spent." I think you mean "elated" for sure!

Tankman

Sounds like you made a really good deal...Oh, and you know the routine... :text-worthless:

Sounds like a good deal? Like wooooooooooooo Horsey!

How's Indiana? Visited Evansville, early 60's, was in the USMC. Weekend liberty, blind date. She and I were lookin' at the stars in somebody's corn field. Better view late dark night. Mr. Dudley Do Right snuck up on us, asked, "Are you two married?"

I honestly answered, "No Sir but, we're thinking about it."

Mr. Indiana State Trooper, told us, "This is private property, go think someplace else."

Great State! Are Click 'n Clack the Tappet Brothers really from your state? :-)

wh5208speed

I have to admit I was a little nervous trying to get through West Virginia's winding roads. Afraid one of those SWHI (state wheel horse inspector) might pull me over. Once I made over the Ohio River I knew I was home free.

Thad (Not in Jail, in Ohio)

It's gonna suck for you to spend the holidays in JAIL...............since you STOLE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO freaking jealous right now!!!!!!!!

Congrats!!!!!!!!! :bow-blue::handgestures-thumbup:

wh5208speed

The winter months in Indiana are like most midwest states....usually overcast and cool. I've been there multiple times in the spring and summer and it is usually pretty nice.

I have 3 more work trips scheduled to Indianapolis, once per month until March, so I will be riding around looking to bag another out of state horse......so beware Hoosiers!!

Thad (Ohio)

Sounds like a good deal? Like wooooooooooooo Horsey!

How's Indiana? Visited Evansville, early 60's, was in the USMC. Weekend liberty, blind date. She and I were lookin' at the stars in somebody's corn field. Better view late dark night. Mr. Dudley Do Right snuck up on us, asked, "Are you two married?"

I honestly answered, "No Sir but, we're thinking about it."

Mr. Indiana State Trooper, told us, "This is private property, go think someplace else."

Great State! Are Click 'n Clack the Tappet Brothers really from your state? :-)

Wheelhorse84

What a deal.

ericj

good sweet deal i wood've jump on that my self if i had found it and had cash and time to get it, good luck probably won't be that hard to get running. the onan manual will tell you how to trouble shoot it

eric