Dieselcowboy

Kohler model K331

Dieselcowboy

Anyone familiar with a K331? Are they very common? Just as reliable as any other kohler single cyl? Seems to make a 16hp big block look like a small block. Have a chance to buy a factory generator with this engine powering a kohler brand gen unit. Any input from everyone on this?

CRE1992

Anyone familiar with a K331? Are they very common? Just as reliable as any other kohler single cyl? Seems to make a 16hp big block look like a small block. Have a chance to buy a factory generator with this engine powering a kohler brand gen unit. Any input from everyone on this?

They are actually a extremely heavy duty 12hp kohler. They were made in the early 1960's to my knowledge. They were used on kohler gen sets, and some economy tractors. Any pictures of the generator? I have 2 kohler generators myself. One with a K301 kohler and another 4 cylinder kohler generator.

Dieselcowboy

No pics yet. Haven't bought it yet. Guy asked me 100 for the unit. Supposedly ran earlier this year.

CRE1992

No pics yet. Haven't bought it yet. Guy asked me 100 for the unit. Supposedly ran earlier this year.

You might want to ask if you can get it running at his house first. Only because it might not produce power. That does not seem like a bad price. Also is it a 120v/240v unit or only a 120v? Probably a 3000w or 4000w generator and 120v only. Post some pics when you get a chance.

-Charles

Dieselcowboy

Kinda why I was shying away from the high price and looking at an engine block that might run. It is only 120v.

Don1977

Those engines are bigger than the K-Series engines. Don't know if they will fit on a Wheel Horse.

Kelly

If the gen is a big unit, you can tear it apart save the engine for something, may have a tapered PTO shaft, but clean the copper out of the gen unit and make your money back, I know local clean copper is about $3.50 a lb

CRE1992

If the gen is a big unit, you can tear it apart save the engine for something, may have a tapered PTO shaft, but clean the copper out of the gen unit and make your money back, I know local clean copper is about $3.50 a lb

Though it may surprise you, most generators to not have as much copper as you may think. The majority of the weight comes from the iron inside the generator, not the copper inside. The windings typically do not have all that much copper to them. The K331 is also an odd ball and parts are hard to find.

-Charles

Edited by CRE1992

Dieselcowboy

Thats what really worryed me , be parts being hard to find. Before this engine I had never seen a K331 before.

Buckshot 1

:) That K331 is a 12.5 hp, 36.6 C.I.'s. I have only seen one and it was a good size engine. :flags-usa:

Flatheadpuller

The engine alone is worth 100. They are rare. You wouldnt be buying it for the gen set half. Just the engine. There hard to find. Economy tractor restorers would like to have it.

k331chainsteer

I have 3 of those engines. 2 on Economy tractors. The 3rd came from one. Don't know much about them other than they are huge, the only single cylinder Kohler with an oil pump and parts are virtually non existant.  Just bought a manual showing the internals. Some say they are rated @12.5 hp @ 1800 rpm. That's why pullers like them. 

Greg Sorenson

I have a K331 in my 1963 Polaris Sno Traveler. According to David Johnson who built these and was a co owner of Polaris back then, they used about 1/2 a dozen of these engines in 63 and about 1/2 a dozen in 64. My snowmobile is apparently a transition between 63 and 64. Has some features of both years on it. True that they are huge and parts are pretty much non existent.  Starts and runs great though! I would like to find the generator/starter and brackets for it.