Sign in to follow this  
Kevbo

Where else to look?

Kevbo

Quick question:

Where else can I look to find Wheel Horses for sale besides craigslist and eBay?

Thank you!

Don1977

There some here for sale in the Classified section below.

Ken B

Post want ads here or go to your local tractor shows. You can also post up an ad in your grocery store where their bulletin board is. I scored one good tractor that way and I got a few nice leads.

Kelly

My back yard!!!!! around 100 of them here.

Try local mower repair shops, put the word out your looking, it does not happen over night, but after a year or so of spreading the word tractors find me now,

I shop the local junk yards, the ones around me let you wander around and buy stuff, but many don't, there is a 1077 at one scrap yard but it is very ruff, they want $100 for it, so it still sets there it's missing all the good stuff, I might buy parts off it and let the rest be recycled.

GlenPettit

If you're on a road that gets a little traffic, place a yard sign out front, just a little 2'x1.5' sign like the political ones (inside-out) & on the wire frame. Keep it simple: Wanted, Wheel Horses, phone xxx-xxxx, in big 4" letters, black on white, so it can be read from a car 50' away. Give it time, and like Kelly said, also post a few small flyers where people might see them. Many times a week someone here on RED SQUARE says that they just found one in the back of a barn, shed, or garage; and with Kelly, his phone is ringing nearly every day to come look at a Wheel Horse.

Tankman

I like the sign outside but, would say GARDEN TRACTOR. Then I could look and, hopefully finding a WH, make an offer.

I usually, lightly, complain like, "Oh my, the problems I've found with that

old Wheel Horse. It's OK, I'll figure it out. Thanks anyway."

Justifies my low ball offer. I think. :-):-) :-)

tunahead72

Ditto to what Kelly said about local mower shops, and especially former Wheel Horse dealers. Where you're located, I would try Ray's Mower Shop in Boyertown, or Steve's North End Mower Shop in Pottstown.

Happy hunting! :handgestures-thumbup:

rydogg

I have gotten a few using the local AM radio classifieds a lot of farmers use it and they usually have a lot of stuff sitting around their acreages.

• Like 1

welderman85

I also day Toro dealers a guy my father inlaw grew up with owns a Toro dealer I score some good deals from him

Ken B

Turn on your bionic eyes. While out cruising ALWAYS keep your eyes peeled for what may be parked and long forgotten behind someone's garage or barn. I've also gotten to know some of the area's retired tractor junkies. I always make sure to stop by and shoot the breeze with them. I enjoy the conversations we have the most but sometimes, like this weekend, a score is waiting.

VinsRJ

Hit up the other tractor related forums on the net... they all have for sale sections.

baerpath

I do GT pulling, lots of people just walk up to look at the pullers and we talk sometimes that leads to another tractor or in one case seven LOL

stevasaurus

Nothing like sitting next to your horses at one of the pioneer or steam power shows. Usually only have a handful of Horses there. Always have people come up and start talking about Wheel Horses that they have had, or better yet, that they have and want to sell. A woman came up to us at the LaSueur show in Minnesota a couple of years ago...said her husband had about 20 horses that he wanted to get rid of...he was getting disabled and could not keep up with it anymore. :) It is a great way to spend a weekend, and they come to you. :bow-blue:

• Like 1

rydogg

Nothing like sitting next to your horses at one of the pioneer or steam power shows. Usually only have a handful of Horses there. Always have people come up and start talking about Wheel Horses that they have had, or better yet, that they have and want to sell. A woman came up to us at the LaSueur show in Minnesota a couple of years ago...said her husband had about 20 horses that he wanted to get rid of...he was getting disabled and could not keep up with it anymore. :) It is a great way to spend a weekend, and they come to you. :bow-blue:

Steve is right....I have had many people stop me while I am driving one or they come to look at the wheel horses at the Pioneer Power show sometimes they will offer one or know someone that has one in fact that's how I got my 633. One other way I also use is to have my friends that are scrappers watch for them so far all they have brought me is cub cadets :angry-banghead:

Lane Ranger

I seond what Steve says about the shows.

If you go to a show and have a tactor to display. Some folks will bring up the wildest conversations about Wheel Horse tractors they either had, still have or they know are avaialbe for sale, etc.

This September in Jacksonville, Illinois at the Prairieland Show (Denny Clarke, Martin Howard and my borther and I had a lot of folks bring up Wheel Horse tractors .

if you have a card to give someone with your name an contact info. they can followup with you.

I really enjoyed the lady I spoke to that kept a wheel horse that was her mother's and her husband wanted to get rid of it becasue she was having a hard time finindg a part to replace. I told her honey, you come here and talk to me we are goign to find you the part and get your tractor running again!

The guy that owned several John Deere lawn tractors and came over king of sheepishly to say he had an old wheel horse out in the shed/barn he wanted to sell but did not know the value, etc.

If you don't have a tractor to take to the show just hang around the guys tht do for a good visit and conversation and my guess is you will find out where some are that are for sale at prices much under the Ebay/Craigslist prices!!