Sign in to follow this  
RDML2006

416 8 Paranoid Rookie

RDML2006

So I bought this 1987 416 8 last week and have started to work my way through some of the systems. First up was determine why it wouldn't move, turned out to be missing woodruff key in the wheel hub. Replaced it and took my $310 tractor for a blast across the front yard in the dark. Shifted through all gears , hi and lo range and managed to miss all of the trees. Dumped the fluid and engine oil , I let it drain over night and refilled today.

Now today I run it around for a minute and I swear it seems like there is more of a whine coming from under my seat. 80w90 and straight 30 for the engine. Nothing special as I plan to change again. So my question is how much noise is too much noise and should I be concerned, still shifted fine and felt smooth when riding.

rmaynard

The 416-8 is supposed to have SAE 90-140 API Service GL-5 Gear Oil. That might make a difference with the whining. Did the transmission have any water in it when you drained it?

By the way, nice to have another Marylander amongst us. What part of the eastern shore are you from?

Edited by rmaynard

Kelly

You did put 2 qts in right?? might whine more if not full.

RDML2006

What drained out looked thin and had a rusty brown color to it. Another member suggested flushing it with kerosene which I did before I refilled with 80w. Back to napa tomorrow

Thanks for the help

Ross

Salisbury, Homicde capital of the shore

Wheel-N-It

You did put 2 qts in right?? might whine more if not full.

You did put in 2 quarts of some good stuff, right??? Also you better heed Maynard's advice!

Use Lucas gear oil. Mine love it!

rmaynard

You flushed it with kerosene which is good, but if you notice, there is a hump in the bottom of the transmission. In order to get all that kerosene out you have to jack the front end up high enough so that all the fluid runs to the back. Depending upon how much kerosene is left in there, 80/90W gear oil mixed with the remaining kerosene equals probably the equivalent of engine oil.

RDML2006

You flushed it with kerosene which is good, but if you notice, there is a hump in the bottom of the transmission. In order to get all that kerosene out you have to jack the front end up high enough so that all the fluid runs to the back. Depending upon how much kerosene is left in there, 80/90W gear oil mixed with the remaining kerosene equals probably the equivalent of engine oil.

Great , Thanks for the awesome advise Wouldn't of thought of that. Anyway draining again and will refill later with the 90/140 and some extra special Lucas.

kpinnc

Some of these trannies have a bit of a whine, and perform flawlessly regardless- particularly in high range 2nd and 3rd gear.

Not saying you shouldn't look into the cause- but rather I think a small (background noise levels) whine isn't worth worrying over. If the noise is very loud, you have a problem.

Otherwise, keeps the fluid levels where they should be and enjoy your tractor.

RDML2006

Happy to report , third fluid change short blast around the yard and I'm feeling much better. Seems quite in all gears both hi and lo range. Tackled other projects today , I'm going to try and post pics and description soon

Oh yea, I'm hooked