Sign in to follow this  
Wheelhorse84

Straight from the horses mouth

Wheelhorse84

I was just wondering what the difference was between the first addition in the second addition? Is it a different story?

Ken B

I think it is only the cover and the picture of the woman riding the tractor nude was blacked out in the second edition. I think a cd came with second edition as well.

Edited by Ken B

rmaynard

Also, many of the second edition books were assembled incorrectly, and the pages separated or stuck together at the spine. If you are purchasing a second edition from an eBay seller, inquire about the condition of the book, especially it's spine (binding). Not all have the problem, but many do.

VinsRJ

Ken is right on, there were a couple little differences as he mentioned, the CD was the foreword spoken by Cecil Pond. Now there are some differences in the content but I cannot tell you what they are because I have not found them.

The Second Edition was supposedly published overseas compared to the First Edition. From what I have read, there have been issues with the bindings of the Second Edition, the pics are not as clear and the actual materials used were not of the same quality as the First Edition.

Coadster32

I have a binding issue with my 2nd edition. :*****:

1maidenfan

I have NEVER seen either addition... :banghead: Sure would like to though, I see there is a 1st and 2nd addition for sale on ebay and a member is selling a 1st addition... :greetings-clappingyellow:

YES, I am bidding on one! :handgestures-thumbupright: Gotta read this book. :confusion-helpsos:

rydogg

36 more pages in the second edition, I have both and they are for sale on ebay. The second edition is not as high quality as the first but mine looks great with no binding problems, the second edition will want to twist out of shape if not kept tightly between some other books.

rydogg

Here are a few pictures of the two books side by side....The first edition has a dust cover the second does not when the dust cover is removed from the first edition you will see a very well designed collectors book. The last picture shows the size comparison you can see that the second edition is much larger. I do not use the first edition for anything if I need to look up some information I use the second edition.

wheelhorse334.jpg

wheelhorse335.jpg

wheelhorse336.jpg

sscotsman

Dont spend hundreds of dollars on used copies of the first printing..

not worth it..because a 3rd printing is in the works!

As soon as the new printing is out, prices on the first edition will drop from $200 to $400 (which is insane)

down to $40 - $60 or so, (where they belong)

I was fortunate that a Redsquare member, after reading previous threads about the inflated prices,

(and how I said I would love to own a copy, but there is no way im going to spend $200 to $400)

was willing to sell me a copy of the 1st printing for a *reasonable* and realistic price about a year ago!

just a normal price, (about what it would have originally sold for) and none of this inflated B.S...thanks! icon-thumbsup.gif

just goes to show the friendliness of the RedSquare community, and that some people aren't in it for the money..

I was very grateful..

and it sounds like the 2nd printing, due to quality issues, isn't really worth the money, at any price..

So I wouldn't buy that one right now either..

just wait for the 3rd printing..it will be worth it!

Scot

• Like 1

nylyon

And 3 lucky winners just recently got a BRAND NEW first edition, signed copy for $10 each!

Ken B

I think both copies will drop when the 3rd edition comes out but I don't think you will score the first edition on the cheap side. The first edition of just about anything usually commands a premium. The collectors will still pay a pretty good premium for that first edition IMHO. I think even the second edition will still retain some value. That one I can see being a nice one to keep in the shop, maybe smudge it up some with greasy paw prints. Time will tell!

CasualObserver

I disagree. The first two printings will remain expensive...and may even fetch higher prices. Wanna know why? Because Wheel Horse fanatics will want all three editions, especially those who are just getting their first look in this upcoming third edition. These are the same people who paid $200 for a toy hobby horse that had Wheel Horse on it, or over $100 for a plastic six pack cooler that had the Wheel Horse name on it. Collectibles and collectors are just funny that way. And don't be misled, there's a lot of collectors with plenty of disposable income.

As for whats different, if I remember correctly, there were several extra pages of pictures thst weren't in the first, and the nudidt lady was censored. I don't think there was much text that changed, if any.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

ericj

i have 1st and 2nd editions both sign by Cecil Pond and Michael Martino i use my 1st edition for referance when needed but have barely touched my 2nd edition, probably should have taken better care of my 1st edition. but anywho my heirs can figure out what they are worth because i don't plan on selling them any time soon, just wish i had had the money to buy more when they came out, oh well ........

specialwheelhorse

I have pages loose in my first edition and haven't opened it since

I found this to be the case. I want to have this repaired at a book

binding store but haven't found that special place yet.

Jim in Texas

neil

I just hope that when the 3rd edition comes out that people just dont buy loads of copies just to make extra bucks on the back of Michaels Martino`s hard work, it seems if anyone should profit from this particular topic it should be Mike himself as he was the one that spent all those hours writing it.

Maybe when the book gets sold it should be limited to 1or 2 per person , just so that everyone get a chance to obtain a copy . Just my Opinion

sscotsman

I disagree. The first two printings will remain expensive...and may even fetch higher prices. Wanna know why? Because Wheel Horse fanatics will want all three editions, especially those who are just getting their first look in this upcoming third edition.

I disagree.. maybe a few people will want all three..but I bet it will be very few.

Im a "Wheel Horse Fanatic" and I could care less about having one of each..

I have a copy of the first edition, so I will never bother with the 2nd or 3rd..

and if I had only the Third, I wouldn't care about getting the first or second..

Perhaps people with the 2nd will want the 3rd, because the 2nd is supposed to be such bad quality..

But prices for the first edition are high now because the book cant be found *at all*..because it is out of print.

But once the 3rd edition is out, and available, I dont seeing anyone who has the 3rd edition *also* paying $300 for the 1st edition! ;)

maybe one or two fanatical, rich collectors..but your "average joe" Wheel Horse guy isnt going to care about having all three editions..

So I still say the prices will fall dramatically! ;)

time will tell..

Scot

refracman

Scot,

I believe that the prices could fall some but not much. If your theory applies to the third the it should of when the second came out.

The third will command a premium price also after time.

• Like 1

rydogg

I put my 1st and 2nd edition on ebay and the 1st edition sold so I will keep the 2nd edition, I like it even though it is the cheaper made edition it is great for reference. All the 1st edition was doing was sitting on the bookshelf collecting dust now that it sold I can turn it into a couple more early horses :handgestures-thumbupright: I will have to agree with Jason that wheel horse collectors are willing to pay crazy money for some collectables I was bidding on the toy hobby horse but got outbid pretty quickly.

sscotsman

Dont spend hundreds of dollars on used copies of the first printing..

not worth it..because a 3rd printing is in the works!

As soon as the new printing is out, prices on the first edition will drop from $200 to $400 (which is insane)

down to $40 - $60 or so, (where they belong)

(snip)

Scot

As predicted, prices for the first edition have fallen dramatically!

Before the 3rd edition came out, I never saw a first edition for sale for less than $200..and several were selling for $300 to $400!

A first edition is on Ebay right now for $100. (asking price, doesnt mean they will get $100)

And four first editions recently sold on ebay for $55, $85, $90 and $91.

Not quite as low as I predicted, but still, not bad..

If the previous average was $300, and the new average is $80, thats a 73% decline..

Im glad to see it! that's a much more reasonable price.

Ebay sold listings:

http://tinyurl.com/lnculk9

And it seems prices are still declining..

look at the dates of those sales:

June 4 - $91

June 30 - $90

July 31 - $84

August 11 - $55

Scot

Edited by sscotsman

Wheelhorsestory

Here, Here Scott. You are right!

I wrote and printed these books for one reason only. To get the accurate history of these tractors out to the hobbyists. If everyone who wanted a book purchased it at the sales price when the book is on sale from me there would not be a large secondary market.  The first edition was a new endeavor for me and All proceeds were given to charity.  The second edition was not intended to be of lesser quality, but it was and I should never have had it printed in another country. I trusted a print agent in California who ripped me off big time.  He should be ashamed of himself for what I lost.

I am honored and flabbergasted that people are collecting them, but in my opinion the Final Edition is by far the best in content and quality. The books were not written as volumes containing different information.  They are editions in which information was added or enhanced. Nothing was deleted, just improved upon. I feel that I made all the right choices with the final edition.  It is the best quality book available anywhere. I planned the consumer market very well and I still have plenty of books to go around for quite a while, just as I planned.  No one will ever imagine the resources that I had to borrow and invest to print the final edition.  My profit is very marginal. I know a few people have voiced shipping costs, but I want to get the book to the reader with the same quality of service as the book's quality.  I know that we are in a recession, but one must understand a book of this quality, plus a professionally produced DVD and this book is priced below what the publisher and printer recommended. I just purchased seven text books for my daughter's college classes. Most were of far lesser quality, contained less pages, and no DVD; selling for $92 to $122 each.  I ask everyone please do not resell these books on the secondary market to make a profit. You may not realize it now, but I feel that the price increase of these secondary market books is hurting the hobby in many ways. I also feel very strongly that we should try to treat each more honestly and with kindness. Don't post negative comments about some one or something. Only positive. When a few of us got together to plan the first Wheel Horse show back in 1998, we were all happy with what we had and didn't hurt someone else over a tractor or money. We just had fun riding them and enjoying each other's company.  The saying "whoever dies with the most toys wins" shouldn't apply to this hobby. :icecream:

• Like 2

leeave96

Mike,

I think you should go beyond one printing so future owners, enthusiasts/collectors, generations can see the background of these old tractors.  I'm thinking about some of the historical books on IH Cub Cadets that are published and sold in a variety of places.

I'd also like to see a book that goes from the 3rd edition until the final Wheelhorse rolled off the Toro assembly line.  That would be great info too - I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

But most of all - great book!

Thanks,

Bill

Shuboxlover

I'd also like to see a book that goes from the 3rd edition until the final Wheelhorse rolled off the Toro assembly line.  That would be great info too - I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

But most of all - great book!

X2

• Like 1

papaglide

Mike, fantastic book and I totally agree with what you posted. With all of the info that you have collected, do you have any idea what yearly sales in either dollars or units looked like compared to Cub? Either IHCC, or MTD Cubs?

I also agree with what Bill said...I would buy one in a heartbeat too! Thanks again Mike for producing an awesome book!