decksetter

Troy Bilt chipper shredder runs on starting fluid, not on gas?

decksetter

Racking my brain on this one...

Got this chipper used, hadn't run in a couple years but looks lightly used. If you give it a shot of starting fluid it will run until the ether runs out, will never catch with the gas.

Took carb off, soaked in paint thinner, scrubbed, put back on, no change.

Dumped old gas (that father in law said was fresh), put in fresh 93 octane, no change.

I am getting gas in the Carb for sure, when I take it off the bowl is full. Last time I took it off I shoved a wire up through the jet, you can see it come out the other side up in the Carb.

What do I try next? Did I miss something simple? Engine is a 5.5hp Briggs.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

tunahead72

Sounds like you're getting spark, but it wouldn't hurt to pull the plug and see what it looks like, dry it off if necessary and check the gap, replace it if you think you need to.

Air filter nice and clean?

rmaynard

I'd take the carb off and soak it over night in a can of carburetor cleaner. Paint thinner is a little mild and won't get all the gunk out of the tiny little holes and orifices.

Jim_M

Definitely a dirty carburetor, they don't like to sit with gas in them for more than a few months.

TT

Going from a cloudy memory here, but remove the float bowl and look for a hole leading into the side of the main jet nozzle near the bottom. If this hole is blocked, fuel can't be drawn from the bowl into either circuit. It should be right above the top of the 'bolt' that holds the bowl to the carb.

KATO

I would definetly soak it for a long time. That little hole in the passage that leads to the circuits is all important !

i once had to soak a carb for 2 weeks before i could get any fuel up that tube to the idle passages.

decksetter

Finally got this running today.

Turns out there are holes in the screw that holds the bowl on, and the fuel actually has to go through the screw. Poked a wire through and we're running! After soaking in Carb Dip from tuesday to saturday, that is....

Thanks all

• Like 1

KATO

AWESOME !!

asgreen21

two years later.....

same problem....

same solution. 

I _thought_ I cleaned the float and bowl.  I cleaned it harder.  Worked like a champ. 

Thanks!

• Like 1