Sign in to follow this  
leeave96

416-8 & 416-H Question

leeave96

Were the 416-8 or 416-H tractors ever made with the Kohler Magnum engine in them or were all of the Kohler engines used of the K series?

Thanks!!!!!

Bill

TT

The 416-8 had K and Magnum Kohler singles and the Onan P216 twin.

EDIT: Toro lists a 1987 (31-16K803) and a 1988 (31-16K804) 416-8 with a Kohler single.

The 416-H was Onan powered only.

Wheel-N-It

Just being curious here Bill, but why are you asking?

BTW, I am leaving in about an hour to pick up my 416. I will be posting some pics of it tonight (hopefully)

Tankman

My '88 414-8 has the Kohler Magnum engine.

The '85 416-8 is powered with a Kohler K engine.

The 416-8 is powered! I guess after all the 12 hp and less, Horses I've owned, 16 hp is a treat. 30-40 years ago I remember rope starting a couple of my Horses.

I want to rationalize a bit, the 12 hp Kohlers actually do everything I want to do (or play). Blow snow, plow, sweep, mow, take Grandkids ridin', get me out of indoor chores with the Mrs. In fact, anyone know where I can get a 12" mower deck?

I'll be right in Hon soon as I'm done mowing the lawn. :-)

• Like 2

JackC

The 416-8 had the Kohler Magnum. One just sold on eBay for a measly $310. The tractor also had a 48 inch deck.

Search for item 261131451372 and read it and weep. I hope a member got it.

leeave96

Just being curious here Bill, but why are you asking?

BTW, I am leaving in about an hour to pick up my 416. I will be posting some pics of it tonight (hopefully)

Van,

I'm thinking that IF were I to "standardize" on Wheelhorse tractors which are my original and main part of my fleet of garden tractors - and rid myself of my Simplicity and Cub Cadets, what would I replace those tractors with? From a keep it simple standpoint, I think the Kohler Magnum engines were the best of the old and new. They were all cast iron just like the older K series engines, but with electronic ignition - no points/condensers to contend with. I'm at the limit of tractors I can fit around my house and if I bring home another one, then I have to get rid of a tractor and it ain't going to be a Wheelhorse! If I make a change, I'd like to consider a 416-8 or a 314 or 312 (either gear drive or hydro), but with a Kohler Magnum engine on it.

Thanks!

Bill

Wheel-N-It

Bill, great minds do seem to think alike! I have been thinking the same thing. I've even talked to Duke about it and he has the same philosophy regarding LAGT's in general. Now that I have brought the 416 home, and am cleaning it, I'm beginning to think come Spring I may sell the JD140 H3, and the Cub 1650. Regardless of which way I go, from now on it is Wheel Horse only for me.

You are certainly welcome to take a spin on my 312-8 and see if you like it enough purchase on for yourself. I think in the end the 312 will always be my overall favorite WH.

Also too, if you know any JD guys in Virginia who would be interested in my 1969 JD, then have them get in contact with me. It is the H3 model with the optional rear PTO.

Wishin4a416

The 416-8 had the Kohler Magnum. One just sold on eBay for a measly $310. The tractor also had a 48 inch deck.

I watched it go off. To far away from me though.

Save Old Iron

Belmar NJ = Jersey coast - like Hurricane Sandy Jersey coast. Did the "worst storm of the century" put this one under salt water? Ask the seller, "BeachMike".

Wheel-N-It

Belmar NJ = Jersey coast - like Hurricane Sandy Jersey coast. Did the "worst storm of the century" put this one under salt water? Ask the seller, "BeachMike".

Someone may soon need your electrical expertise my friend :)

boovuc

There may be a lot of tractors and power equipment from the east coast go up on CraigsList. I saw it after the floodings a year before Sandy. In Pennsylvania we didn't have a salt water storm surge but flood mud waters corrode components just the same.

RDML2006

I just picked up the 416 on Ebay for $310. Brought it home, washed it and started my parts wish list. This is my first one and as excited as I was to get this for $310, she is still in a bit worse shape than I was hoping for. The good - Kohler 16 engine. The Bad - pretty much everything on it needs attention. Charging system, steering , deck has multiple cracks/holes /manual lift does not work, and that was what I saw before I loaded it on the trailer!

Hydro

I have a 1988 416-8 and it's in good shape, just needed two patches on the 48" deck which I did. It has 350 hours, last year of the Magnum 16. 3116K804. I also have a 1997 314H which was the last year for the Hydro. It had around 335 hours on it when I bought it. I swapped the engines to get the 16HP with the Hydro. Not original but still all Wheel Horse.

Save Old Iron

RDML,

If there is evidence this tractor may have been submerged,

you may want to remove the head from the engine and inpsect / oil the cylinder wall. A little Marvel mystery oil in the cylinder will seep down in the rings and provide some level of relief from any salt water intrusion.

Remove the breather assy and check for any signs of water intrusion and possible corrosion.

Remove the indicator circuit board from the connector and spray connector inner and circuit board with WD40.

Given the weather is getting colder, you may also want to drain the trans case to remove any possible water intrusion. Maybe flush the trans with kerosene and refill with proper fluid. The important issue is to get any water out of the trans case before the weather becomes too cold.

buckrancher

SOL :kbutt::ychain:

you forgot to tell him to drain the engine oil and replace with new / also drain the fuel system from the tank to the carb bowl

Brian

Edited by buckrancher

Tankman

I was lookin' at that Horse. Missing some sheetmetal? Not too awfully far from Belmar, NJ I was seriously thinking about a little road trip. Oh well......

RDML2006

I knew I signed up at the right place,..

Day two here is what I've found, tractor doesn't appear to have been under water, ( neither did the rest of the stuff in the garage it was at), oil is dirty but no water, carb is fine she will start and run ok. The belt is loose but thats not the main issue with it not moving, the sheared off key between the right rear wheel and the axle seems to be the main culprit. It does seem to have all the sheet metal. Hopefully I will be able to start the tear down in a couple of days

Thanks for the advice

Ross