c161rat

Top 5 tractors!!!!!!!

Whmaverick

Can't help but notice almost everyone includes my favorite-the awesome C-160.

My list: 87' 418 eight speed -rare but powerful for mowing love the electric lift

74' C-160 auto - hydro lift is great for snow thrower and dozer blade

82' C-175 eight speed - its a brute for garden work, plow, disc, tiller

67' Lawn Ranger - just fun to have

520H -for its FEL capability

My first experience with wheel horse was during my senior year in high school. my uncle was head of maintenance at the bear run location for the western pa conservancy at frank loyd wright's falling water, the lawn maintence required 40 plus hrs to cover all the areas on the property.

The maintenance dept. had just purchased a leftover 87' model yr. 418-8. It was brand new and it was all mine, my baby so to speak. The thrill of pushing the throttle open and feeling the powerful 18 hp Onan engine roar to life was a treet for me at 18 yrs old. The 48" deck was no match for the powerful 18 hp twin, I could blast through the tallest grass no problem. to top it all off, I was taking vocational agriculture at the local vo-tech school and was given latitude as a senior as to what project I wanted to work on. the instructor actually assigned other students to work on my projects for part of their grade as well. I was given a complete front axle and frame from a parted out C series from the local wh dealer where my brother was working. So I fabricated a steerable tongue added a rear axle and made the bed 3' x 7' with 12" removable side boards. I then made a deal with the conservancy for $ 350.00 for the wagon. And would you believe the whole time I worked there I got to pull the wagon around behind the 418 loaded with everything I would need that day; push mower, weed wacker, pick, shovel, rake, gas, tire chains, my lunch etc. it wasn't until 12years later that I would own my first wheel horse. That's how it all got started. Sure wish I could find a 418-8 of my own to restore some day.

• Like 1

Save Old Iron

conservancy at frank loyd wright's falling water

A site which is on my to do list in the next year or two. My wife and I toured the Martin Home in Buffalo last year. Well worth the trip. I imagine Falling Water would be the ultimate tour.

• Like 1

TT

87' model yr. 418-8. ....................... 18 hp Onan engine

Great story, but a 418 has an M18 Kohler Magnum twin. :thumbs2:

horsesaver98

314-8

in that order to

• Like 1

kthack657

Senior

D250

GT14

Wheel-Dan (to tow them around)

ericj

i know matt that owns the wheel dan and the last i knew it was for sale for a price

eric

• Like 1

farmerall

My top 5 are the only 5 I own/have owned.

1. Electro 12

2. 551

3. B 111, this was my first lawn or garden tractor

4. A-90e sold this one

5. Unknown model lawn tractor

Whmaverick

Thanks for the correction terry, my memory was off between that job and when I worked at a campground and ran a jd 318. Anyway don't see many around at least not for sale.

boovuc

I too noticed all the C-160/C-161's mentioned as favorites. I am banned from buying anymore until I lose one or two but a C-160 after running one for awhile in my early 20's was quite the machine. Big power on fewer gallons of gasoline.

And Fallingwater is something everyone should see. I agree! It's a marvel of human engineering. Like it was just ment to be there. (But I would have a bunch of dehimidifiers running 24/7)!

1973Auto

All I got is my 1973 No Name 12hp auto. So I will start and end with that. I did have a 1974 C-120 auto that I fried the engine on. Then sold it for $150.

Rideawaysenior

Rideaway Senior being the first Wheel Horse full size garden tractor (eventhough it wasn't Wheel Horse then)

RJ-58 Built the reputation of Wheel Horse in its fledgling years

1075 The First of the Wheel-A-Matic (hydro) transmissions

420 LSE  The beautiful and highly sought after commemoration series

312-8 In my honest opinion, the 312-8 was the middle of the line favorite among consumers for many years for Wheel Horse being one of the longes lasting production lines and again in my opinion the backbone that carries Wheel Horse from the early 80s until the K series 12hp kohler was replaced with the cast aluminum counterpart. 

Keith

Any of the  C series 8 speeds with single cylinder Kohler 

kthack657

in order it would be:

420LSE

Senior

GT14

D250

Charger 12 (LOVE THAT MODEL IT IS MY TRUSTY RUSTY)

Hodge71

My top 5 would be

1973 16 Auto

1973 14 8 Speed

1973 14 Auto

1973  18 Auto

GT-14

I guess I have a problem with the '73 "no Name" year

bean

c85

308-8

b80-8spd

raider 8

commando 800

I'm sensing some sort of pattern here, I just can't put my finger on it :)

RMCIII

Ok, so the word "tractor" to me must mean something a little different, here are my top 5:

International 4986

International 7488

Steiger Tiger 525

Allis Chalmers 7080

Case 4890

darg

C160 8 speed

bewford

Early D-200

C-160 Hydro

C-160 8spd

84 C-195

74 D-160

Just gotta get the last 2.

Got a C-195 just not an 84 reckon that will have to do

darg

bewford a D160 would be nice, need 40 acres to turn it around, like my 2000 GMC.

darg

bewford

bewford a D160 would be nice, need 40 acres to turn it around, like my 2000 GMC.

darg

Yup I got 3 Ds. they are not an agile machine, big lumbering oaf comes to mind, like me. Must be why I like em. :D Edited by bewford