stevebo

Stepped up to a 56 Ride Away Senior

Kevbo

Looks great Steve! I am glad you have found quite the find :handgestures-thumbupright:

neil

Could someone tell me how many of these Rs tractors were made ?

AMC RULES

Looks like you're havin' some fun over there...nice work guys, thanks for sharing. :thumbs:

welderman85

The tractor is awsome you guys did a great job bringing it back to life

ben06351

Now that's one hell of a find. Great job guys. Keep on enjoying all your tractor time.

fireman

Neil,

The best guess I have ever heard was from 1948-1956 approximately 500 to 550 were made. Also the best guess is only around 50 had the hand laid fiberglass hood which was offered in 55' and 56'.

Ken B

Wow, only about 50 had the fiber glass hoods on them. Ya better be careful with them! I think Ole Stevebo needs to get himself an enclosed trailer, something in the 20 ft. size range.

fireman

Ken that was what Wild Bill told me at the show last year when he was looking at mine. I would like to sit down with Mike Martino and pick his brain about it seeing as he had the chance to talk at length with Cecil.

P.S. That also why I now have an enclosed trailer!

Edited by fireman

wallfish

Where do you go from here as far as collecting WH? You guys have hit the pinnacle of the sport so do other WH tractors seem desirable to you now as far as collecting goes? I know another Sr might be, but what else?

Sparky

Where do you go from here as far as collecting WH? You guys have hit the pinnacle of the sport so do other WH tractors seem desirable to you now as far as collecting goes? I know another Sr might be, but what else?

John, I think this is what Steve and Jeff need to set their sights on next! Can you imagine how much "salad dressing" Steve would need to shine this one up :ychain: ??

post-2-0-88959800-1354382285_thumb.jpg

Mike............

• Like 1

neil

Do we know how many guys on Redsquare own an RS ?

dovetail53

Steve,

in regards to stripping the old paint, odds are likely that the original red under the primer isn't even paint. as most know, a gel coat of red was more than likely used as the original color. what I'd do is try one of the biodegradeable...... orange citrus type strippers on the primer. I'm thinking you'll find it's true color under the primer. one of mine has a hood, with what appears to be an original red gelcoat for the final finish. actually not the prettiest finish, but definitely the original. congrats on the find! good luck with the final outcome.

stevebo

th_srrunning.jpg

Here is a video

stevebo

A few pics today

post-734-0-56654400-1354398275_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-19087300-1354398360_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Ken B

John, I think this is what Steve and Jeff need to set their sights on next! Can you imagine how much "salad dressing" Steve would need to shine this one up :ychain: ??

post-2-0-88959800-1354382285_thumb.jpg

Mike............

If that semi is out there Steve will find it!

• Like 1

Coadster32

Awesome find Steve, and wonderful wife to boot. Another Connecticut cut-throat score. It looks and sounds awesome. I like the ball playing picture. (Steve looks the same!!). Great to see you guys helping each other out on this as well. :handgestures-thumbupright:

stevebo

Jeff having a turn...

th_Jeff1.jpg

fireman

Man that thing drives great!

I noticed it steers much easier than mine. When I got home from Steve's I started to check mine out. Jacked up the front end so the tires were off the ground and found the steering was still tight. I removed the steering link from the box to the spindle and found the steering wheel turned free but the tires would still not turn very easy. Pulled the spindles out of the axle and found they were both bent. I put them in my hydraulic press and straightened them out and re-assembled everything. Now it steers great!

• Like 1

stevebo

:happy-partydance: Awesome Jeff ~~

stevebo

All-

Thought you may find this interesting. This was an email from the previous owner. As I said he was a really nice guy and straight shooter.

Hi Steve,

I'm so happy that you are enjoying the SR. I knew she would run fine. I enjoyed meeting you and couldn't be more pleased that she will be shown at the shows. After talking with you , I consider you "OLD SCHOOL" which is refreshing nowadays. As for the paint, I don't recall that it was ever painted or primed. In your picture where you oiled the right hand side of the hood is the color that I remember . For history I believe the tractor was bought new by Joseph Ventura of East Bridgewater, Ma. He owned and operated the Shawnee Nursery on rt. 106 "Plymouth St" . Bob Andrews,my dad, bought the property in 1960 and with it the SR. He was a gentleman farmer as a hobby and enjoyed many years driving around the property on the SR for relaxation. The tractor was never really worked hard. When he passed in 1995 I brought it here to Middleboro and until about 3 years ago I also enjoyed driving her around my property and talking to the many people who would stop to check her out. I can't count how many offers to buy her that I have had over the years. Well, that's my story and I'm very very happy to have you as the new owner . If I come up with any more info I will get it to you. Thanks again, Bob Andrews, Jr.

Bob,

My buddy and I were able to work on the SR and get her running perfect. I changed the tires with a set I had on another machine. They are the exact match. Here are a few pictures of how she sits now. In a few hours I plan on taking her for a ride. Believe it or not we were able to date the engine to a early production 1956 engine which leads us to believe that it is a 1956 model. The hood has been primered at some point. I am considering removing the primer back down to the original patina.

If you don't mind, can you send me any other information on the history of the tractor? From a collector standpoint it would be great to know who the original owner was then you and your dad's full names and when he purchased it. I do not think it was used all that much.

• Like 1

stevebo
th_MVI_7021.jpg
  • Like 2

AMC RULES

That's just great...that thing is so frigin' awesome, now I want one of them too.

Thanks guys. :teasing-poke:

Ken B

You are gonna get in hot water for diggin up Mama's front lawn! That old girl really gets truckin when you popped her in high gear. I don't know if I'd mess too heavily with the color of the hood. Nice story to go along with it.

Coadster32

Looks like it steers easy and runs great. Good for you as well Jeff. Glad you got it apart and fixed the shafts. A little motivation certainly went a long way. :handgestures-thumbupright:

fireman

John,

I still would like to find an un-mollested 420LSE. I believe that NOS one is still at the dealer here but again last I knew he wanted $6000 so that one isn't coming home with me (and I thought paid a lot for my Senior)! I've pretty much had at least one of each generation so there really isn't anything that is on the must have list. I wouldn't mind finding a clean 953, 1054, or 1055.

Don't get me wrong, if I had the inside storage space, I would have never sold any of the tractors I bought (around 35 last count). I refuse to let any of them sit outside so I was always trading up until what I feel is the pinnacle. Now I am down to just the 4 Wheel Horses in my signature and I absolutely have no room left so as of now that's it (unless something unbelievable comes up!!!!).

The next big Wheel Horse project will be the restoration of the Senior which I know won't be done by this years show but hopefully the following year. I may attempt to get the 55 Junior done for this years show seeing as I have already done the bodywork on the hood. Will see.

Edited by fireman