stevebo

Stepped up to a 56 Ride Away Senior

stevebo

I was told about a craigslist ad in Boston from a friend about 3 days ago. Like many emailed the seller and asked that he give me a call as I was very interested. So yesterday I recieved a call from the seller he started off by saying that he was "taking bids" At this point the price was $900 over his asking price. I did not want to get into that type of bidding... I told him that I would match that offer and could be there first thing the next day. He informed me that he had to make 1 last call and then he would get back to me. I said fine, let me know. A little while later he called me back and said the tractor was mine if I wanted it.

Well that part was done but the next step was talking to momma about the purchase. Well let me say it was momma's birthday yesterday. After telling her about the tractor I wanted to purchase for the most I have spend on any single tractor she was very understanding and gave me the green light to buy it. I called the seller back, got the information on where I was going and set up a time for the morning. After that, I told momma the if was not her birthday I would be in my truck right now driving up to get it. Well being close to 5pm already and having to make a stop at the place where money grows on trees (bank) I was not sure if I could do it anyhow. Well momma said if you want to go she was good with that. After a quick happy birthday song and eating some cake, I found myself on the way to get it.

I got to the seller's place about 8:30pm chatted for a while (he was a really nice guy), loaded up the tractor and started to head back. The story is that his father bought it from the original owner back in 1960. It has been in the family every since. Last night it was dark and the tractor had frost on it from the cold. Rear tires are shot and the fuel sediment bowl needs a gasket. PO said the last time he ran it was 3 years ago.

Overall it is a pretty nice original survior. Upon further inspection today I see the hood looks like it was repainted with a red primer at some point in the past. It is sitting in in the garage and I am lubing up all the moving parts. The plans are to take the rear tires I have on the Economy and put them on the SR. Hopefully I can get the rear rims off. It will take lots of atf/acetone and heat to get them off I am sure. I will then get her running, cleaned up and change all the fluids. I have NO plans to restore this machine and NO plans of selling it in the future. Hopefully she is a solid runner and I can get it to as many shows including the 2013 PA show in June. I think tractors like this one needs to be viewed by as many of use collectors as possible. There is a lot of history and being so original it may help the next collector with a restore. etc. Here are the pics.

I will post pictures of my progress as I start to work on it.

post-734-0-92749400-1354235261_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-05171700-1354235280_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-64298600-1354235315_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-14746900-1354235330_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-45141400-1354235344_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-19339700-1354235361_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-15301300-1354235379_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

welderman85

great buy. that is a great tractor to ad to the collection.

fireman

There yah go!!!! IT"S SWEEEEETTTTT!!!!! Nice score!!

ericj

nice find, luck you that the wife let you go don't know mine would with out a huge price to pay for going on her birthday for a tractor

eric j

Kelly

NICE, you did good and I hope you got your wife something extra for her B-day.

Tankman

OMG! Now that's a great purchase!

A project you will not regret or forget. :-)

Riley088

Merry early Christmas to you. Nice pickup. You will do it well.

Sparky

Nice score Steve! Its good to have an understanding wife. I went to NY on Christmas eve last year, picked up Karl on the way, and snagged a tractor. My wife was totally cool with it and apparantly Karl's wife was to.

Mike.........

Anglo Traction

That is a very cute Tractor and great project. Well done . Sounds like it's in good hands.

Rollerman

Congradulations Steve!

It's good to see RS/83's & or Senior's are still being found.

KC9KAS

Nice score.......Keep us posted on your progress.

wallfish

Way to go Steve.

Jake Kuhn

Nice score steve! I sure hope I can run across one of those someday. ~Jake

Ken B

You da man Steve. Old girl is in good hands.

Wheel-N-It

Yes that was a good find for sure, but the best part of the story is knowing you have a wife that should be praised. Give the little woman my best and my utmost respect for being so understanding. and also and BIG HAPPY :occasion-cake:

AMC RULES

Congratulations Steve.

312Hydro

That's a great find Steve! I know some guys name their tractors.You may want to name it after your wife! Great looking original and now you can add to it's history with the story of finding it on your wife's birthday. Nothing brings a marriage together better than a :wh: . :handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-thumbupright:

grnlark

Nice machine Steve and good luck with it! Bet you're glad I put the wallet away for once huh? :)

855ownerJoel

Now that is impressive, I love those old tractors.......Congrats.

neil

First and most importantly ,,,,, Happy BHirthday Mrs Stevebo ........ :occasion-cake: beacuse with her approval it makes it even more sweet

Great find Steve , im delighted for you :happy-jumpeveryone::woohoo:

Now she is just gonna look fantastic when she is all oiled up

without close inspection The hood looks original paint to me ? :flags-wavegreatbritain:

stevebo

Thanks guys. I have a winner for sure (the wife that is). I think Fireman is stopping by tomorrow morning and I am sure we will be tinkering with it. Maybe get her fired up? KenB is helping me out with a set of rear turf tires and rims for the Economy so I can get the ags on the Economy on the SR. Maybe Ken will be able to sneak away from work for a few tomorrow and stop up for a coffee .....

If you look at the last picture I posted showing the dash you can see the original paint under the primer. Being that this is fiberglass does anyone know of a way that I can remove the primer and get back down to the original paint without making a mess? I would sure love to expose that original patina red....

fireman

I don't know Matt. He probably is for the moment. But just like once the weddings over and the new-ness where's off, you start second guessing yourself. I know a few months after I dropped a wod of cash for mine, I started wondering if it was really worth it. Then I kept reminding myself about the rarity of it and think of it as an investment. Not only monetarily but for my own mental well being!

In this day and age of the world we live in now, these old tractors help me to remember how our country once was and how I wish it could be again. A slow and easy paced life with not much a care. I sometimes just go into my shop and sit and stare at both my 55's and wish I could be back in that two car garage with Elmer and Cecil making these tractors.

When it comes down to it, this is what keeps me going (of-course with a little help from SteveBo once in a while pulling me back from the edge!).

• Like 2

dclarke

Great find Steve, that's a keeper for sure. :thumbs:

Ken B

I don't know Matt. He probably is for the moment. But just like once the weddings over and the new-ness where's off, you start second guessing yourself. I know a few months after I dropped a wod of cash for mine, I started wondering if it was really worth it. Then I kept reminding myself about the rarity of it and think of it as an investment. Not only monetarily but for my own mental well being!

In this day and age of the world we live in now, these old tractors help me to remember how our country once was and how I wish it could be again. A slow and easy paced life with not much a care. I sometimes just go into my shop and sit and stare at both my 55's and wish I could be back in that two car garage with Elmer and Cecil making these tractors.

When it comes down to it, this is what keeps me going (of-course with a little help from SteveBo once in a while pulling me back from the edge!).

Well said Jeff, I have the same exact thoughts all of the time. No mater what anyone says, things were different back then.

Kelly

Stripping the primer is going to be tricky, not knowing what they used, and not knowing for sure what the paint is, being fiberglass will have no bearing on doing this, you could try a little spot some place with lacquer thinner, just be sure to stop before it makes the orig. paint soft, you might try enamel reducer first, not as strong, Oven cleaner is what I have used to strip paint before, again go slow as not to mess up the orig. paint, but I'm thinking the orig. was shot that is why the primer, at least it was covered up letting the fiberglass get baked in the sun with nothing on it would have caused the glass to deteriorate and fall apart