Sign in to follow this  
Wheel-N-It

I was not expecting this!

Wheel-N-It

Last night I went to see my 75 year old neighbor whom I knew had a nice push blade for a Wheel Horse. I was hoping he would sell it to me because i was pretty sure he had no need for it, and I could put it to some good use. While we were sitting by the fire talking about Good Moonshine and Bad Women, he happened to mention to me he thought he had a Wheel Horse sitting in the barn, and instructed me to go look and see if it was still there. So with Maglight in hand I walked out to the barn in a light drizzling rain. I entered the barn and lo and behold sure enough there in all its dusty glory sat a 1980's model Wheel Horse, and that in itself was good. But upon close inspection I discovered it was not just any old Wheel Horse, it was one just like I have been searching for over the past two years. The Wheel Horse right n front of me, and only one mile from my house was a Kohler K-341 powered 416-8!

After a few minutes I was able to regain my composure, I studied this newly found treasure, and decided right then and there I needed to give it a new home. I then left and went to my place and tried to get some sleep without thinking non-stop about what I had just found.

Today during my lunch minute I went to see my friend and with the blessing of his son (who is also a dear friend) we struck a deal on the 416, the push blade, and a 42" SD mowing deck. I brought the blade and deck home tonight. The 416 is still under roof waiting for me to pick it up this Saturday. Here is a pic off the blade and deck, and a sneak preview of the 416.

I need you guys to tell me what year model you think this is. Any and all feedack is appreciated. Thank you.

Van

post-5982-0-68226200-1354150365_thumb.jp

post-5982-0-95677000-1354150417_thumb.jp

post-5982-0-09095400-1354150456_thumb.jp

post-5982-0-28062300-1354150493_thumb.jp

• Like 9

Jake Kuhn

Nice find! :handgestures-thumbup:

Tankman

Nice pickup Wheel-N-It!

Picked up a '85 416-8 a few weeks ago, nice.

New seat, steel pan, from Tractor Supply.

Today picked up a 48" blade, same as yours. Removed deck, mounted, excited!

**Note** Got the blade wet in a little leftover snow, always set the blade down on a piece of 2" x 4".

Guess forum members are somehow related. All Crazy Horses? :-)

• Like 1

snowhound

Nice find, I've had my 85 416-8 about 5 years now and of my heard of 6 it's my favorite.

Waiting for snow to push in MA

Ed (Snowhound)

Tim

go off of the serial number of the engine see the attachment for cross reference

Doc1.pdf

• Like 1

Terry M

Very Nice find !!! :handgestures-thumbupright:

BOWTIE

THAT ONE LOOKS LIKE A 1986. TRACTOR MODEL OR ENGINE NUMBERS WILL TELL YOU FOR SURE. GREAT FIND ON YOUR PART AND IN YOUR OWN BACKYARD.

BOWTIE IN OHIO

AMC RULES

One mile away? :handgestures-thumbsup:

Wait...I thought you said there weren't no :wh:'s in North Carolina.

• Like 1

jay in nc

nice tractor! even nicer plow! can't wait to see it . Jay

• Like 1

whc160

Nice score you got there! :handgestures-thumbupright: You will like that K341 thumper.

312Hydro

Great find and only a mile away. That's the way to get those :wh: 's!

Wheel-N-It

Thank you everyone for your good words. Thank you Tim and Bowtie for helping me to determine how old it is. I was guessing 1985 or 1986, so it sounds like for tonight we are in the ballpark. I am excited to be bringing it home for a good cleaning and polishing. Then will be all the preparations for breathing some life back in the old K engine. To me that is always one of the fun parts of a resurection.

WHC160, you are right. I will like that K-341. I have one in a IH CC 1650. However unlike the Cub Cadet, the Wheel Horse K-341 is solid mounted, so this engine probably has the dreaded "Grenade Gears" that it seems most or at least the most vocal LAGT guys do not have a love for. I will be interested in counting the cooling fins to see if this is a 13 fin engine or a 12 fin. My Cub motor is 12 fin. I have heard the K-341's in all Wheel Horses were all 13 fin, so we will see how true that holds for this one. After just finishing the 312-8 I bought my Son-In-Law for his Christmas present from me, and other Christmas stuff to do, I will probably work a little slower and take more enjoyment with this one in the processes of getting it running and driving and working again. I don't know at the present time what it's assigned task will be. I have a tiller that is not connected to anything, my K-341 powered Cub has a push blade on it already. Give me some suggestions guys. What do you think I should do with this one?

Van

Wishin4a416

I cant see if it has a coil or is a magnum so I really dont no the year either. 85-89? But I envy you. Nice find.

welderman85

Great find. Its great when you find them so close

TT

I cant see if it has a coil or is a magnum so I really dont no the year either. 85-89? But I envy you. Nice find.

The points cover is visible in both pictures of the tractor. It's definitely not a Magnum.

I will be interested in counting the cooling fins to see if this is a 13 fin engine or a 12 fin. My Cub motor is 12 fin. I have heard the K-341's in all Wheel Horses were all 13 fin, so we will see how true that holds for this one......... .........What do you think I should do with this one?

A 12 vs. 13 fin block is irrelevant for a stock worker. Either version would be a good engine.

My opinion on what to do with it...... Give it a good going-over, fix what's broken, and use it. That's why they were built. :thumbs2:

• Like 2

leeave96

Van,

Very nice. If you still have the 520H rolling chassis - perhaps using the front swept forward axle and steering might make for a cool 16 hp tractor.

Good luck,

Bill

• Like 1

Ken B

If that ain't a nice unexpected surprise I don't know what is! Looks like she'll clean up purty nice. It also looks like it has the extra wide 520 rear rims on it? Glad ya got it!

• Like 1

KEN NABER

I want one too!!!!

Wheel-N-It

Van,

Very nice. If you still have the 520H rolling chassis - perhaps using the front swept forward axle and steering might make for a cool 16 hp tractor.

Good luck,

Bill

Good idea Bill! That would be a great mod :)

KATO

Gotta like those barn finds !!

KC9KAS

Very nice GT you found....and with some attachments.

can whlvr

a nice find,in 87 they put magnums in the 416,so as stated allready its a 85 or 86,as long as its the orig engine

• Like 1

ben06351

Way to go, nice find. :)

Wheel-N-It

OK ya'll it's only thursday, and I am ready for saturday to hurry up and get here............................

:sad-bored::techie-hourglass::angry-tappingfoot::confusion-waiting:

hm12460

You did good, but why the snow plow in North Carolina??