Sign in to follow this  
boatman

8 speed trans axle on 414-8

boatman

I have a 414-8 that won,t shift out of low range even though I move the lever. I am assuming that the

shifter fork is broke and I have bought one. My question is when I split the trans, which side should be

up? i never have had one apart before. Any thing to watch out for? Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

pfrederi

Download the transmission repair manual from toro or many other places before you start. Shallow side is down and stays clamped in your vice.

boatman

Thanks for info on 8 speed trans. will try to download repair manual as suggested. will post results on what I

find when I tear it apart.

boatman

I was wondering if there is anyone in our forum here who works on the 8 speed transmission?

I live in paris TN but also go to Ft Wayne Ind area. Also could go to Ill or Missouri Kentucky

areas too. Trans works in low range, but will not go to high range. lever moves but has no

effect. I do have shifter fork for it. Thanks

stevasaurus

There are threads that have pictures and videos of tearing down the transmissions. If you need any parts or maybe some help...send a PM to Racinfool74 (MIke)...He is in Ohio, and deals with the 8 speeds more then I do. :) Check out these links.

tunahead72

boatman,

Here's the repair manual you're probably looking for:

http://www.wheelhors...manual-rev-482/

This one was published in 1982, and is the very latest that I've ever known about -- I think I've asked this question before, but does anyone else know of a later edition?

Your 8-speed is a variation of what's covered in Section V of that manual, should be very close.

It would also be useful for you to have a parts manual for your tractor, which would include a parts breakdown for the transmission. I don't see one of those here on RedSquare, but you might be able to download one from Toro, or check out the diagrams on some of the online parts suppliers web sites (maybe PartsTree.com).

boatman

Thanks guys for reply and all the info. This is such a good place for info. I appreciate all the help.

I think I have the parts [shifter fork and gaskit for to go between trans halfs] I need. If I can get it apart without

everything falling out, hopefully I can replace shifter fork and get it all back together. Again thanks to all.

boatman

Thanks stevasuarus, Was able to get a hold of racinfool 74 and we are going to meet up during christmas. He is going to help with repair.

Thanks again for putting him on to me.

• Like 1