Sign in to follow this  
wallfish

This won't buff out!

wallfish

This WAS a very nice 551 hood. It was also on a tractor that is being sold this coming weekend which really sucks.

I was in a hurry getting it down from my shed loft and screwed up big time. Like most accidents it was human error and luckily nothing but the tractor was damaged. It did land right on top of a K181 that was sitting on the floor which hammered the hood, hood stand and the steering wheel was bent. No damage to the engine except a little paint scrape.

post-658-0-65839100-1354119065_thumb.jpg

post-658-0-86989700-1354119084_thumb.jpg

CasualObserver

That'll definitely knock down the resale value! How long did it take before you stopped swearing? Or have you?

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Humm, so much for the stacking idea. :scared-eek:

So, what happened...how were you getting it down?

Edited by #1 WHEELHO

wallfish

I'm still swearing! There's already a different steering wheel, hood and stand on it. The new steering wheel is much nicer and I did a couple other upgrades to still make it worth while. The second hood isn't that bad and easily fixable but just not as nice as this one was.

groundhog47

I'm still swearing! There's already a different steering wheel, hood and stand on it. The new steering wheel is much nicer and I did a couple other upgrades to still make it worth while. The second hood isn't that bad and easily fixable but just not as nice as this one was.

Man I would be also and I feel for ya. Looks as if was a great lookin' hood, but surely you'll hang on to it as can prob be shaped back somewhat. If not the hood logo would be a neat wall hanger. Hate it for ya about the steer wheel also!

neil

Ouch , That really sucks

Cut the front off the hood , straighten it up a bit and then turn the front part of the hood into a wall clock

at least you get some use out of it.

I feel your pain bro

• Like 1

wallfish

It definitely won't end up hanging on the wall unless I drive through it. This is the place where old damaged hoods get recycled into customs!

post-658-0-43484400-1354128405.jpg

post-658-0-44368100-1354128421.jpg

oldredrider

A "Wallfish Phoenix"?

KATO

OOOPS....... :banghead: i hate it when that happens !!!

Gene_S

Sure glad no one got hurt.

VinsRJ

I was just going to say John... the nose is in perfect shape for a Rat. Or, just bang out the dent the best you can and run that hood on a Rat.

Don1977

That one can be fixed. The off set is still there and one rolled edge very little damage to the front.. It would take some time but would be worth it.

fireman

Man that just sucks John! At least it didn't land on you!

Shuboxlover

Little bit of bondo and she'll be as good as new!!!! :laughing-rofl:

stevasaurus

The only one I know that could maybe hammer that out is John Bell (Bell). I have not seen him on here is quite a while. :bow-blue:

Anglo Traction

That's a real Bu**er !. Your a Hammer Mechanic!....... you'll fix it up good!. Ok so it's a days work hammering and 1/2 a day blending and priming and your good again (thankfully without injury).

wallfish

I'll see about saving it first. I think the biggest problem with that might be how much the metal has stretched. I know you can shrink it with a torch and cooling it down quickly but that takes a bunch of time, patience and skill. I only have time

I'm always above it when lifting or lowering the tractors. Looks like I will need to make a couple of modifications to the lift straps and add a fail safe cable too

Edited by wallfish

Jake Kuhn

Wow, sorry to see that happened, and glad to hear your ok.

Kelly

First glad your ok as well, stuff can be replaced or repaired.

As for the hood it is fixable, but a bit of skill will be needed, if you just start beating with a hammer you might get lucky, knowing where to hit first and how hard takes time to learn.

It could take hours and hours to make it nice, I'm not talking cave and pave with bondo, I mean doing it right, so even the inside looks good.

Edited by Kelly

stevebo

John,

That hood looked a lot nicer when you get it from me... that sucks...

VinsRJ

John's a big boy... he would have put a little Bactine on the wound and moved on.

He'll need just a touch of Bondo for the hood though, LOL

jusjeepn

Another Wallfish custom...... :hide:

markjs

That one can be fixed. The off set is still there and one rolled edge very little damage to the front.. It would take some time but would be worth it.

:text-+1: :text-yeahthat: